• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington to shut down plants for 2 months

I feel bad for the employees that are subject to this, but Remington can fuck right off. Hopefully those furloughed can find new work and Remington wont be able to open up their doors.

Reactions: stilesg57
I must be living under a rock. Why the dislike for Remington? ( That is, aside from this shut down. )

I must be living under a rock. Why the dislike for Remington? ( That is, aside from this shut down. )
because for what it costs to buy a Remington. trash the stock trigger and barrel. true/blueprint the action. rebarrel it. I could buy a custom action and spend the same money on barrel/chassis/trigger

or buy just a Remington action plain and true it then add parts.

there is zero resale in a Remington unless its a TacOps

Reactions: SonicBurlap
A few facts not being shared in the article. First, there's a number of facets to the Remington company as a whole. It's a whole lot bigger than just M700's.

M700 rifle production is not affected by the furlough.

It's the ammuntion plant and a smaller division of the gun stuff.

It's also not a total meltdown. It's a rotation of basically two weeks on/off spanning the course of the summer.

My personal thoughts:

You can love or hate the M700, but the truth is in the pudding. Almost every single aftermarket, boutique, custom, blah blah action made today is a clone copy of the basic design. Maybe its fancier cause its polished or sports a one piece bolt. Regardless, the fundamental operating principle is the same.

"Imitation is the greatest form of flattery."

"Facts, without them, you have an opinion."

I recently read an article where they promised to bring a ton of jobs to this particular area in exchange for lower taxes. They failed. Fuck crony capitalism and fuck Remington.

I was a employee of Remington in the Ilion NY plant. I was hired in Oct 18, And laid off during the 1st round of layoffs in March 19. Over 1700 people have jobs at the plant . All but 1 line is effected with this over 2 month shutdown. The Plant closes on June 3, and reopens August 12.
This is our county biggest employer. Its going to hurt this place!!! There was no warning!

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffLebowski
My beef with Remington in regard to the R700 is that they've been resting on their laurels with it for FAR too long. For the feature set/quality, a regular R700 should retail around $350-$400, but they're typically priced FAR above that... indicating that Remington has been milking the cash cow for all it's worth.

Maybe their customer service department can catch up while the plant is closed. Their quality control certainly keeps the customer service guys busy.

It's written by a city dweller who clearly doesn't know jack about firearms, but this article is an insanely good read from early May on modern financial engineering and how it intersects with government and the labor market (particularly in the New South) through the lens of the Remington bankruptcy:

How America’s Oldest Gun Maker Went Bankrupt: A Financial Engineering Mystery

(edit: link should be working now)

Last edited:

It cost money to fight a non compete and I guarantee you Remington is not going to play nice.

I would let them slide on the tax incentives if that meant the employees get their jobs back or get paid during the shutdown.

When things like this come out of the blue it can turn people’s life upside down.

Best of luck to the employees and hopefully I will be on the jury when someone challenges the non compete.

I am just down the road in birmingham

Hopefully they are retooling to put bolt handles on correctly again

That's quite a story. The bottom line is "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". Very sad.

That's quite a story. The bottom line is "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". Very sad.

And the middle/professional class is the funding engine of the gov’t that naively gets taken for a ride. Yeah, it’s beyond frustrating and goes to show why the biggest voter crossover in 2016 was between Trump and Bernie of all people.

I want to thumbs up your comment...but not “like” it, if you know what I mean, ha.

To the OP’s original point: Remington burned me for the first time as an 18yo whose second gun he ever purchased was a 597 in 22lr that wouldn’t feed. Got burned again before they were even bought, and once more after that, just desperately trying to make Big Green work for me the way I’d heard it had worked for so many others. Then I realized: I’ve never spent a day in my adult life living in a world with consistently well produced Remingtons. And that’s why they’ve seen my last dime. I think A LOT of people have similar experiences to that. My only sympathies are with the workers.

Reactions: TxWelder35
Remington/private equity ruined AAC, Remington, and bushmaster (along with other good companies). The only Remington products I have are 700 actions that all have been worked over. My AAC suppressors are backs ups. I don’t want to deal with the lack of customer service.

With that being said I hate it for the employees. We thought it was a big deal when they came to ALABAMA. Turned out they just shit on the state and their employees.

Why the hate for a company to go down. Got it the ownership but I for one do not want any American company to fail. If failing gets new ownership I guess but as an American I want all to succeed as America. That is what did/does/should make us great. Too much hate and wanting someone to fail in our great republic.

I sold guns ran a shop for 17 years and Remington has no worse QC than any of the companies they just seem to get traction. As far as internal communications and dealings, I would rather deal with Remington than most others.

Reactions: Stevo86
The only Remington products I have are 700 actions that all have been worked over.
I was fortunate enough to inherit some remingtons that are older than I am. Those are the only ones I own which is sad. That name used to mean something.

It's unfortunate that Remington is still asleep. All they need to do is look at what Bargara is doing.

Focus on quality
Add a side bolt release
Add a M16 style extractor
Offer improved stock and chassis options
Offer Trigger Tech triggers on the higher-end models

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I believe after they were acquired by freedom group everyone noticed the decline. It’s just been downhill from there.
Name one company Cerberus made better... Betcha can't!

I was a employee of Remington in the Ilion NY plant. I was hired in Oct 18, And laid off during the 1st round of layoffs in March 19. Over 1700 people have jobs at the plant . All but 1 line is effected with this over 2 month shutdown. The Plant closes on June 3, and reopens August 12.
This is our county biggest employer. Its going to hurt this place!!! There was no warning!
Sad to hear that but King Kocksucker Cuomo would be thrilled to hear any gun manufacturer closing down in NY. He'd rather line his and his friends pockets with 750 million dollar horseshit electric car factories producing 12 new jobs for all our tax dollars invested.

Reactions: 2ndSecuresTheRest
Name one company Cerberus made better... Betcha can't!

That’s because Cerberus’ job isn’t to make companies better. It’s play is to extract all of an acquired entity’s value through financial engineering and tax benefit/evasion schemes, only keeping the host company’s corpse alive long enough to do so.