• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington triggers on Sniper rifles

SamLS

Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
I like my Remingtons, but I can honestly say I have seen more of their triggers malfunction than say a Winchester style trigger. The failures were typically due to fouling. How are these triggers holding up in the "Sandbox"? should we be looking at other options/modifications or are the troops able to keep them running? Thanks

Re: Remington triggers on Sniper rifles

The old Model 70 trigger was THE example of simplicity and rugged
performance in sporting rifles. The new one was changed to a delicate one for reasons totally unknown. The Remington trigger is a complex machine that works well if clean.
There is a reason that Springfields, Mausers, Lee Enfields & Mosins had a simple 2 stage trigger....they always worked.
Anyone who thinks they cannot give a fine trigger pull has never been behind an interwar 1903 Springfield National Match Rifle like this one. I am pleased to say my new PACT AR 15 trigger is an equally simple excellent piece of design and manufacture, IMO far superior to the complex giessel trigger on my DPMS AR 10.

1903A1sn.gif

Mr Humble

Is that 03 trigger the same configuration on the issued rifle just honed and adjusted, Or was there a " National Match Trigger"?

DemoSam, just curious... What field conditions are you working in? Are you in the military using a bolt gun?
Are you familiar with how to clean/adjust a Rem trigger? I'm sure you do... But my real question is, how many have you really seen fail due to them being dirty? and what type of field conditions were you in to make that happen?
Please, give some more details on the types of failures you've seen. I don't doubt you, I'm just very interested as to what malfunctions you have personally witnessed.

I live in Arizona and have had dirt literally kicked into my action/bolt raceway/trigger group/A5 stock barrel channel... you name it, dust and dirt have gotten in there. I've been out on windy days so bad with dust I worried about it sandblasting my scope lenses and stopped shooting. I think this is as close to Iraq as it gets stateside. ...not that I've been there.

If you maintain your rifle, you wont have problems unless you drop it in a mud puddle a foot deep.

Take your stock off and clean out the trigger. Take the trigger off and get everything sparkling. DONT USE OILS! If it's extremely old, replace parts that may need replacing.
I have to break my rifle down and clean everything BUT the bore more than I clean the bore living in a windy sand pit.

Just MO

03' national match triggers started life as a pile of standard 03' trigger parts. They were sorted and selected for a tight fit and trigger and sear hand stoned down to 2-3 pounds. Anyone with a few good stones and a bit of skill can do the same to any two stage trigger.(just keep all surfaces square) the nice thing about a two stage is that it's still very safe even when lightened up, unlike a lot of single stage triggers.

Those that I have seen personally fail were filled with what I would term Gunk and grit and nothing lighter fluid, WD-40 or brake cleaner wouldn't clean out (whatever is on hand typically). Normally I see the failures during sight in days at the local club prior to deer season in the fall. The conditions are cold which I suspect simply thickens whatever got dumped in there. One individual said he was last in Texas deer hunting and he had grit in the trigger and it appeared dry. Which simply leads me to the question how well do they perform in the dessert and in the hands of the troops who are in those conditions day in and day out. I see alot of actions for tactical rifles these days accepting Remington triggers. My perception is the Remington 700 action is the 350 chevy of the tactical rifle industry and there are alot of options with aftermarket triggers for Remingtons thus its carrying over to current designs more as a matter of convience, again thats just my perception.
When I clean mine I use lighterfluid, spray with TSI 301 (prevent rust) and then spray with compressed air to remove excess.

I dont know if I would use an aircompressor unless it had a jam up air dryer. I think that a can of compressed air would be a better choice to keep the moisture out.

I never had a problem with them and never saw a failure in any M40A1 in my platoon. That's not to say they don't occur, but I would think that a 2112 at Quantico would be a good source for that information.

Being a Marine Corps armorer and then a fulltime gunsmith for 31 years, I've seen my share of Remington M-700 triggers fail. In my humble opinion, the main source of failure is the lubricant used on the trigger assembly. After time, the lubricants solidify to a state of being sticky. This in turn, due to the tight tolerances of the trigger assembly, keeps the trigger sear from returning to its full battery position. The Win. M-70 system is much more condusive to harsh environments. WD40 can be friend and foe. It works OK as a lubricant, but after time it starts to get tacky. There are much better lubes out there, but WD will suffice if that's all that's avail. Kevin- Semper Fi