• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington with a barrel nut. Blasphemy, I know

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I was pondering a couple builds I have going and I'm having some bad luck with parts compatibility. I have two great barrels for my Savage but my Remington is in dire need of one and I don't have any spares.

This got me thinking about how much I like the barrel nut setup. Regardless of how ugly you might think it is, it's hard to argue the versatility it gives the garage/basement builder.

What's to stop someone from having a barrel threaded to fit a Remington that's made for a drop-in type fit (a la Savage) then threading on a barrel nut?

Re: Remington with a barrel nut. Blasphemy, I know

Nothing if you call Pac-Nor for the nut and barrel, McGowen also makes the barrels. I had a slight issue with mine in the fact the nut wouldn't thread on far enough to get the head space but a little work on the mill and it worked fine (removed material from the threads on the nut).

whisper.JPG

Remington Model 7, McGowen .300 AAC Blackout

McRees Precision has a barrel nut kit... I was going to do the setup in which you are referring to, but ended up going a different route with my build.

Anyone tried one of the Northland SS setups? I would be interested in some feedback.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim at Northland Shooters Supply has been offering them for quite a while. Northland Shooters Supply </div></div>

That links me to a thread on Savage Shooters from 2009. Is there anything more current? I'd love to order one.

There is nothing wrong with the barrel nut for a Remington. Actually the barrel nut is a very accurate and user friendly way of attaching a barrel. Just give Scott Mcree a call and ask him what he thinks of the nut and how his shoot. Ill save you the time, they hammer!! He takes his 18" .308 way out there and its consistant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That links me to a thread on Savage Shooters from 2009. Is there anything more current? I'd love to order one. </div></div>
He updated it sooner than 09 (Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:53:45 PM by Northlander)

But here is another thread

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?topic=42821.0

I could never get ahold of Northland so I ordered an in stock barrel from McGowen and the nut directly from Pac-Nor. You can order the barrels directly from Pac-Nor as well. Northland certainly has a large selection and I'm hoping to actually get through to him for my next barrel. I believe that Bergara also has a nut setup if you order one of their kits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could never get ahold of Northland so I ordered an in stock barrel from McGowen and the nut directly from Pac-Nor. You can order the barrels directly from Pac-Nor as well. Northland certainly has a large selection and I'm hoping to actually get through to him for my next barrel. I believe that Bergara also has a nut setup if you order one of their kits. </div></div>

Phone is the only way to reach him. I have never had an issue and if you leave a voicemail he will call you back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could never get ahold of Northland so I ordered an in stock barrel from McGowen and the nut directly from Pac-Nor. You can order the barrels directly from Pac-Nor as well. Northland certainly has a large selection and I'm hoping to actually get through to him for my next barrel. I believe that Bergara also has a nut setup if you order one of their kits. </div></div>

Phone is the only way to reach him. I have never had an issue and if you leave a voicemail he will call you back </div></div>

I left a message with him earlier tonight. Hopefully he still has some .260s left.

use the barrel nut... who cares what anybody else thinks....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could never get ahold of Northland so I ordered an in stock barrel from McGowen and the nut directly from Pac-Nor. You can order the barrels directly from Pac-Nor as well. Northland certainly has a large selection and I'm hoping to actually get through to him for my next barrel. I believe that Bergara also has a nut setup if you order one of their kits. </div></div>

Phone is the only way to reach him. I have never had an issue and if you leave a voicemail he will call you back </div></div>

Same here, he always puts the customer first.

The inventory listed isn't current in my experience though. He doesn't have time to update everything he sells.

If you look on the top of his site at savageshooters he made a thread saying that he would be on vacation until the 1st of August. Try him after that I will bet you can get in touch with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd rather have a Savage barrel nut on a Remington than a whole
cool.gif
Savage, but that's just me
wink.gif

-matt </div></div>
Well for some of us, it is tough accepting that our rifles are more accurate then we are, I'm sure your Remington doesn't put you through that misery though.

I am a Savage proponent most of the time, but what would worry me about a nut setup on a Remington is the solid bolt. Savage barrels are OK if they arent exactly parallel with the action raceway because of the floating bolt head. A rem though I can see suffering some issues if the barrel didnt end up straight on there. Weve seen from several builders on here how bad a 700 action face can be, and once you tighten that nut its going to want to make the barrel perpendicular to that face.

I dunno, just something to think about I guess.

Good point... Have your action trued first. What is remingtons thread size? I wonder if you you get your action trued and threaded to a savage large shank thread to save some money and have more barrels available?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point... Have your action trued first. What is remingtons thread size? I wonder if you you get your action trued and threaded to a savage large shank thread to save some money and have more barrels available? </div></div>

I thought about that but by the time you pay a smith to do that kinda work and wait on shipping, you might as well just have a standard Remington barrel done.

I won't be able to get the action trued any time soon. I can't afford to have this project bogged down any longer than it already has. I guess worst case, I read about a company that sells brand new, trued Remington actions but I'd rather go custom if I'm gonna sign up for another serial number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a Savage proponent most of the time, but what would worry me about a nut setup on a Remington is the solid bolt. Savage barrels are OK if they arent exactly parallel with the action raceway because of the floating bolt head. A rem though I can see suffering some issues if the barrel didnt end up straight on there. Weve seen from several builders on here how bad a 700 action face can be, and once you tighten that nut its going to want to make the barrel perpendicular to that face.

I dunno, just something to think about I guess. </div></div>

Forgive my ignorance, but if 700 actions tend to have an out of spec face, would it even matter if you used a barrel nut vs a shouldered barrel? Common sense tells me that once the torque starts pressing the recoil lug unevenly against the action face, you're gonna have issues regardless of barrel type. Correct me if I'm wrong but it makes sense in my head. :shrug

Good point, I guess you will just end up with something that would be the same as any other factory 700, except with a nicer bore if it is a custom barrel. And the ability to change out easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point, I guess you will just end up with something that would be the same as any other factory 700, except with a nicer bore if it is a custom barrel. And the ability to change out easily. </div></div>

I guess the only logical answer is to go custom
laugh.gif