• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reminton Police PSS and SPS Tacitcal

Loopm5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
USA
The local shop is having a heated discussion on the differences on these rifles. It has ranged from the metal used in the receiver to who builds the rifles.All sparked by the high price on two PSS's on the shelf.

I know this topic has probably been discussed before but mostly I would like to know IS there a difference in the receiver material used?

Most of the other things are ridiculous like the PSS was ONLY made to be given to a law enforcement officer and the price reflects the rarity and they look snipery.LOL

Did in fact Remington make some of there tactical rifles from SS and some others from lower grade steel?
Just some questions. Thanks

Re: Reminton Police PSS and SPS Tacitcal

The PSS is only priced high when compared to lower priced Remington 700s instead of higher priced ones. The issue is whether it is a good value for a given purpose. And the manufacturing method of the R700 receiver is more relevant to quality than than whether the steel used is carbon or stainless.

The PSS stock is a better profile- it more closely mimics the M24.

The SPS has a sort of oval bottom forend that is best mounted on a bipod.

Given the choice I'd run a cut down 18 or 20" PSS over an SPS but I don't know how much money that's worth.

My buddy had a SPS that shot about .9MOA, and he had it crowned and the bore lapped. It then shot pretty much .5MOA. What more can you really ask of factory 168 grain remington ammo and a sub $1000 gun?

Remington hasn't made the PSS for years.
I fondled one of the PSS models about 20 years ago.
I kick myself in the ass regularly for not buying it.

They now make the 700P, it is a standard SPS varmint with a different finish in a MUCH better stock.

Those sre the ONLY differences.

a few observations:
1. Sounds like you may want to try another shop..
2. The PSS are made from chrome moly steel as are the sps and other non stainless steel models of remington 700 rifles. .
3. The main diff in price may be due to the fact that the hogue stock costs about a third of the hs precision that is on the pss.
4. The pss usually has a nicer matte finish or some earlier models were parkerized.
5.The PSS was originally designed for the police/ leo market. They are sold and can be ordered by any dealer that can order any other rem 700.
6. Some PSS and LTR rifles were pushed out with 40x triggers that do add a little to the price. The box end will state what trigger is in the rifle...
7. In reality , you may not wish to spend the money on a PSS, and start with the 700 sps( my vote would go to the tactical or aac model for the 1-10 twist..) With a careful eye, you can upgrade the rifle via the classifieds here, get it dura /ceracoated and end up with a rifle more tailored to you than just a off the shelf rifle..

Good Luck

Last thought yes remington did make tactical rifles in stainless, and still do.
M24, REM 700 SS 5r( very popular) and the newer tactical/target based rifles at around 1500 plus are ss with a remingotn fancy matte black coating

Thank you mlh29 for the very well informed write up. This discussion was not really weather I was interested in buying either of these weapons I just thought the collective knowledge here would more than likely know the real differences. A buddy and I frequent the shop and there were 5 or 6 people discussing the rifles because its rare to see a tactical rifle of any sort on a shelf were I live. Most of the time it's hunting ,hunting ,hunting. All the tactical gear and guns are ordered and they are swept home never to be seen again.