• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remmy 700 .223 and a 1:12 twist 26" BBL

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
Am I screwed for trying anything (bullet wise) 69gr and above?? Had I known the twist was that slow I'd probably have went with the Savage which I believe is a 1:9

Am I screwed for trying anything (bullet wise) 69gr and above?? Had I known the twist was that slow I'd probably have went with the Savage which I believe is a 1:9

What are you shooting?
What kind if range?
Most guys shooting FT/R where I'm at use 80gr bullets, which require a heavier of a twist.
I hear you about the Remington barrels. Im looking at a 223 too and the 1:12 twist is rather slow. I'll probably get the Remington as I like the action and rebarrel it to a 1:6.5 twist so I can run the 90gr bullets as I shoot mid and long range f-class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are you shooting?
What kind if range?
Most guys shooting FT/R where I'm at use 80gr bullets, which require a heavier of a twist.
I hear you about the Remington barrels. Im looking at a 223 too and the 1:12 twist is rather slow. I'll probably get the Remington as I like the action and rebarrel it to a 1:6.5 twist so I can run the 90gr bullets as I shoot mid and long range f-class.

I want to be able to shoot it out as far as possible with as little wind drift as possible. Thus I like the 77gr SMKs.
Just hurry up and shoot out the barrel and rebarrel to your liking.
How much does it cost to re-barrel a Remmy 700 .223?

I want to be able to shoot it out as far as possible with as little wind drift as possible. Thus I like the 77gr SMKs.

You'll need a 1:7 twist barrel.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/9377/224-dia-77-gr-HPBT-MatchKing

Call a local gunsmith a find out the cost to rebarel. There is a group buy here on snipers hide. Take a look at it. There is receiver accurizing and stuff.
You have to supply the barrel. Look at Kreiger, Bartlein, Hart, Shilen. Im sure I missed a few others. Get the heaviest barrel that you are willing carry.

You'll need a 1:7 twist barrel.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/9377/224-dia-77-gr-HPBT-MatchKing

Call a local gunsmith a find out the cost to rebarel. There is a group buy here on snipers hide. Take a look at it. There is receiver accurizing and stuff.
You have to supply the barrel. Look at Kreiger, Bartlein, Hart, Shilen. Im sure I missed a few others. Get the heaviest barrel that you are willing carry.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to find the group buy you are talking about. My stainless 1:8 ARs shoot the 77s really well.

Your looking at about $345 for a new barrel and whatever your gunsmith chargers you.

But.... back to my original Q....

what do you think the heaviest bullet is I can get away with shooting out of this twist until, or if changing out the barrel is not feasible for awhile?

My 22-250 is a 1:12 and will shoot nothing over 62gn well past 100, thought it has a bit of velocity over your .223. You would likely be best suited with 55gn and under. Sierra's 52gn Matchking, Nosler's 52gn Custom Comp, and the 55gn Vmax would likely be worth a shot.

You likely will NOT be able to shoot the 69s well in that rifle, but I would give it a shot just to confirm. I've seen some slower twist rifles that would shoot heavier bullets than the twist rate would suggest.

I don't know why manufaturers insist on continuing to produce .223 and 22-250 rifles in slow ass twist bbls. it makes me wonder if they are aware that they are "ham-stringing" their customers. I tried to sight in a friends 22-250 for him. Couldn't get it to group. Finally realized it was a 1-14 twist. I told him he was stuck on 50-55 gr. bullets. "Assinign"

In regards to my last reply; for a high stepping round like the 22-250 if they made a really fast twist barrel and the owner tried to use "light" bullets, the bullets would probably disintergrate before reaching the target. Rather than get complaints from customers about bullets blowing up they just make them in slower twist and let you figure it out.

I don't know why manufaturers insist on continuing to produce .223 and 22-250 rifles in slow ass twist bbls. it makes me wonder if they are aware that they are "ham-stringing" their customers. I tried to sight in a friends 22-250 for him. Couldn't get it to group. Finally realized it was a 1-14 twist. I told him he was stuck on 50-55 gr. bullets. "Assinign"

I would think that most owners aren't planning on doing much more than 200 yard shooting at the local range, so for MOST casual shooters and plinkers they wouldn't care about the fast twist and shooting the heavies.

I don't know why manufacturers insist on continuing to produce .223 and 22-250 rifles in slow ass twist bbls. it makes me wonder if they are aware that they are "ham-stringing" their customers. I tried to sight in a friends 22-250 for him. Couldn't get it to group. Finally realized it was a 1-14 twist. I told him he was stuck on 50-55 gr. bullets. "Asinine"
I believe that they produce the .223 in 1:12 twist rate on the longer "varmint" style rifles in their basic understanding that most people use lighter faster projectiles in that pursuit (notwithstanding the folks from here who like to really reach out for them critters). You'll notice that some manufacturers (most I think) are also providing options with faster twist rates for their "tactical" lines. For example the Remington SPS, with a 1:9 twist rate.

In my Remington VLS 223 I use Sierra's 55 gr Blitzkings, 26 gr of Varget, Winchester brass and CCI 400 and get a velocity of 3200 fps. I'm good out to at least 300 yards but beyond that I don't know as my local range only goes out that far. This load will stay sub-MOA out to that point.

1 in 8 twist will handle 77 & 80 SMKs fine. The 90 SMK is recommended with 1 in 6.5 twist so a 1 in 7 MIGHT be OK.

My .223 Rem SPS varmint shoots 45 to 55grain bullets. Tried 60 grain but would not stabilize with the 12 twist. I have shot the 55's out to 600 yards with good accuracy. Just need to shoot on a windless day.

I just shoot 52gr SMK out of mine and it shoots great. I have taken it to 400 with no problems with that bullet and Reloader 10. You will learn how to read and judge the wind when using the light bullets.

That should be a great varmint gun. Stick with varmint bullets for your 12-twist and it should work the best for you. Anything much over 55-60 gr probably won't give you very satisfying results. If you're dead set on trying the heavier pills, at least look for something in that weight range with the shortest OAL. It might give you a better chance of success.