• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remove Tikka T3X series rifle factory barrel?

ok i got it off! tried using a wheeler barrel vice with oak inserts but it kept spinning. so vised the barrel in my machine vise and that did the trick, at the expense of scratching/gouging the barrel, but i figured there wasn't a huge market for factory barrels anyways... used a wheeler external action wrench and just smacked it a few times with a small sledge and it finally broke free.

next question, torque spec pls for spinning on the new barrel (tikka proof carbon prefit)? apply some anti-seize? other tips? thanks!
I'd ask proof.

I put my PVA on at 75ft lbs for 308 case head per their recommendation.

thanks for that. proof got back to me, 65-75 ft-lbs, a LOT easier getting the new one on! i thinned down the wooden barrel blocks just a little, so that they only covered the steel portion aft of the carbon fiber.

Reactions: spife7980
I've put my aftermarket tikka barrels on at 65-70 lbs

Here is a little video I made of myself removing one. The action wrench has it be in the right position or you can damage the action.

gotta give a shout out to bugholes/southern precision. their internal action wrench is a thing of beauty, zero slop, quality tool.

Here is a little video I made of myself removing one. The action wrench has it be in the right position or you can damage the action.

Someone mentioned to be sure the action wrench was attached properly. Sure would be nice if someone could post an actual photo of a properly attached external action wrench aka Wheeler #1.

I’m about to remove a shot out barrel on my Tikka, though it’s not the factory barrel (Proof). No clue what the smith torqued it to. Is the PVA action wrench good for this (already have one), or should I go external like the wheeler?

Edit: based on what I re-read in here, I’ll get an External.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned to be sure the action wrench was attached properly. Sure would be nice if someone could post an actual photo of a properly attached external action wrench aka Wheeler #1.
I'll try to get one posted soon.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Just removed my T3X barrel. External action wrench (Wheeler #1) is needed and a good barrel vise like the PMA Gen II. I had to stand on the handle of the wrench and jump a bit to get it to snap free. It was TIGHT!
Action wrench flat side on the top of receiver. The radiased side did mar the finish, but you can't see it with a stock installed. Used thick paper on top.
Don't waste your time with the Wheeler barrel vise. The oak blocks could not keep the barrel from turning, and they were crushed after a few attempts.

Last edited:
I’m about to remove a shot out barrel on my Tikka, though it’s not the factory barrel (Proof). No clue what the smith torqued it to. Is the PVA action wrench good for this (already have one), or should I go external like the wheeler?

Edit: based on what I re-read in here, I’ll get an External.
The PVA internal wrench is all you need. An external wrench would not be needed. Save your money. One was used to torque that barrel on so it will surely remove it.

The T3x factory barrels can be removed easily with an internal wrench. I bought an external wrench because of the horrors I’ve read. I got it ready and wacked the handle with my hand to make sure everything was good to go before I went to war. The barrel broke from the action. This happened on all three rifles. No cheater. No relief cut. I think guys are cranking down on the action when tightening the bolts on the external wrench which puts added friction through compression on the threads. A simple hand tight is all that is needed. I wasted money on the external wrench.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Isn’t there a possibility of bending the action if you use an internal wrench and the barrel is really stuck? I do not know that for a fact that is why I’m asking. I’ve only removed one barrel with an external wrench on a 700.

Good question. Just stick with an external wrench for the benefit of increased external leverage for really tight factory barrels. I originally tried a Bugholes internal, but no luck at all with my barrel. Apparently, others have had success with only an internal.

Good question. Just stick with an external wrench for the benefit of increased external leverage for really tight factory barrels. I originally tried a Bugholes internal, but no luck at all with my barrel. Apparently, others have had success with only an internal.
If it happens to be really tight factory barrel then i would agree. Was yours a T3x? I’m trying to figure out if the tight barrels are on the older T3 actions. The factory T3x barrels on the few I have done come loose as any other barrel tightened in the 75ft/lb range.

i think i posted upstream, but my recent t3x factory barrel was on TIGHT, even after soaking in kroil for 24 hours prior. did i say TIGHT!? if i do this again i'll have to look into those relief cuts. man i'd love to just find a basic action (less $$, no banging) but those seem oos for a righty and that means super oos for a lefty.

Reactions: DudeBro
In stock

Reactions: Lightning8
If it happens to be really tight factory barrel then i would agree. Was yours a T3x? I’m trying to figure out if the tight barrels are on the older T3 actions. The factory T3x barrels on the few I have done come loose as any other barrel tightened in the 75ft/lb range.
Yes, T3x. Only 2 years-ish old.

In stock

Wow, that place is a racket and a half! Take an $800 gun and part it out for 2X? People must be paying it, though....

-Stooxie

Most factory stocks are worthless (in the sense that no one will buy it). Even the CTR stocks struggle to pull $100.
Then you are left with the factory barrel that they sell for $100.

$590 action, trigger, bottom metal, mag
$100 barrel

Now I'm bad at math but I'm not seeing $1600

Most factory stocks are worthless (in the sense that no one will buy it). Even the CTR stocks struggle to pull $100.
Then you are left with the factory barrel that they sell for $100.

$590 action, trigger, bottom metal, mag
$100 barrel

Now I'm bad at math but I'm not seeing $1600

259 for a camo factory stock? 100 for the barrel. 800 for a ctr action? 400 for a bolt? A smart person would by the darn rifle themselves and part it out.

Whatever, glad it works for them.

-Stooxie

I’ve had all three of mine break with a bugholes action wrench, barrel vice, and a little heat on the barrel. No problems.