• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing Harris bipod rubber feet?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
So I got some aftermarket bipod spikes from JEC Customs. Really like them, but for the life of me I cannot get the original feet removed from the bipod. I have beat on the roll pins but cannot get them to budge. I've been using a relatively small ball-peen hammer, the same one I use to remove the retaining pins that hold Rem-700 triggers in place. Do I need a bigger hammer? Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks guys.

-VB

I used a regular weight hammer and correct punch to drive my Harris pins out.
What is key to the removal is to have to Harris laid on a solid dead stop, so the impact
of the hammer effectively transfers to the pin.

Roll pin punches have a small guide pin protrusion on them to help keep them from slipping. Otherwise, second on having a good backup block and a bit larger hammer.

At this point you may have to cut the rubber feet off to get a better look at the roll pins, as they may be flaired or bent.
I normally use a bench top vise with the jaws opened up slightly to hold the leg while hammering the pin through the gap.
Scott

Yeah so I snapped the bipod leg in half... Put it in a vise and got the pin out, then while re-installing the new spiked foot I broke the leg of the bipod. Guess I was hammering too hard. Wish these things would have come with instructions to install. Now i'm out about $130. For those of you attempting this, you need specialized tools to take the feet off. I went with what I had in my garage and now I just trashed a brand new Harris. Kinda pissed right now...

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
Which Harris Bipods did you have and where did you have the leg gripped in the vice?

You need to have it gripped at the foot, otherwise you've created a long lever.

I added the ones sold by a vender on the EE here. I used the correct punch and bent the punch in the process (the pins are a PITA to get out), but the harris bipods were unharmed and the spikes installed nicely.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

Archimedes

Well that sucks your Harris got trashed.
I removed my Harris feet with a hammer, roll pin punch and a 1' chunk of pine
2x4 as the surface. Stood the block on end, between my knees while on my
carpeted living room floor, and held the Harris foot against the block with
the roll pin hand and tapped the pins out.
It was not difficult on the Harris that I had. Perhaps others are more challenging
to get removed, but mine was not.

Sorry to hear you had this happen.
What version Harris were you working on? Maybe a new leg can
be sourced from Harris or alternate ??

just uses something to pry the foot over the pin. that's how i did my pod claw's, still using the stock roll pin's

I had the same issues . I finally said screw it and cut the rubber off with a razor knife .

Call or email Harris customer service. I F'ed up one if their tension/pivot nuts and when I called them, they had a new one on its way to me the same day, free of charge. I'm sure they'll help you out without you having to replace the whole unit.

So I had a match today that I needed the bipod for. I had a new one that I paid for overnighted and just ate the bill the myself. Went to my buddies machine shop with the new bipod and spikes and had them installed in 10 minutes. He had an arbor press used for assembly and the correct size punch. Amazing what the right tools will do. I will contact Harris about getting a new lower-leg portion for the side that snapped. It was the Harris S-BRM model. The swivel, 6-9 inch with the notched legs. It was the notched leg portion that snapped after I beat on it too much.

-VB

The spikes worked flawlessly BTW and would highly recommend them from JEC Customs. As long as you have the right tools to get them installed correctly they are a very nice upgrade over the rubber feet.

I saw this thread as I was having the same issue...I cannot get mine to BUDGE. Problem is I want to keep the rubbers as I'm doing a home made modification involving a field arrow tip.

Heres its 2020 and I am going thru the SAME FUCKING nightmare. GRRRRR Why didnt I find this thread first!!! By Hammering Ive managed to flared one pin side, in place... and If I cut the feet off now to see better and it still wont budge.... then Im out the bipod. Spent $150 for 3" adapters to make my 6-9" a 13" plus interchangable with Atlas spiked feet.

I purchased a set of spike feet from Hawk Hill Custom and they came with a set of installation kit which you can also purchase. They also have a video af installation and maybe that could be of help. Good luck with your install.

I use the Hawk hill feet and sprayed a little PB blaster on the roll pin and punched them right out, using the correct punch and tools Hawk Hill includes in the box.. I’ve done 2 bipods now with no issues 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
I use the Hawk hill feet and sprayed a little PB blaster on the roll pin and punched them right out, using the correct punch and tools Hawk Hill includes in the box.. I’ve done 2 bipods now with no issues 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yep had the right punch and everything, sprayed with WD. Cut the rubber feet off helped... but I finally wound up putting the pin vertical on a flat piece of steel and hammer-tapped the leg forcing it downward down the pin to meet the steel plate then it was loosened and exposed enough to pull off with pliers.

Got the adapters from https://kahntrol.com/index.php/podmods He said he thinks Harris might be epoxy-ing the pins in now.

Then got the 3" extensions from Altus and the spiked feet and rubber feet from Midway.

The perfect set up. I now have a 6-9" bipod that can use any Atlas feet. AND can extend to 9 - 14" EASILY No slop either. Nice and tight.