• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing live primer from case

perazzisc3

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Sunrise, Fl
New to reloading
blush.gif
After priming 40 cases realized the cases need to be trimmed. If I manage to remove the live primers without igniting them should they be discarded??

Re: Removing live primer from case

Go ahead and trim the primed cases ,they are not going to ignite even if you are using a Giraud trimmer.

I have removed hundreds of live primers over the years without any bad incidents. I save the primers to be used again, but I use them only in plinking ammo. I don't recall ever getting a misfire from these primers, but I just don't want to have my first one when I have a huge buck in my scope.

Don't forget your eye protection when depriming livies. I've reused them without issue as long as they reseat properly.

I just had to remove a dozen as well, they were freshly pressed in and came out easily. as noted, wear your specs just in case. None of my popped, and i inspected them with a loop...they look like brand new and i re-used them. I marked them of course to see if they misfire...given that i only had to pull 12 or so i could have easily just fired them off or soaked them in pb blaster to destroy but decided to try them and see if any detrimental effects. will repost here after I fire them this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perazzisc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to reloading
blush.gif
After priming 40 cases realized the cases need to be trimmed. If I manage to remove the live primers without igniting them should they be discarded??

</div></div>
Now why would you feel youd have to remove the primers to trim the cases? BTW, how much longer are your cases than what the book calls for? if theyre all about the same length and theyre not more than .005" over max I wouldnt worry about it, there's usually plenty of room in your chamber to accomadate a longer case, chamber one and see if it pinches the end of the neck.

Probably using a Lee trimmer.

Just run the brass into the decapping die slowly and you'll have zero problems

Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo. Reusing them would be an act of stupidity. No offense to the OP, but hearing "I'm new to reloading and I screwed up already" makes me cringe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo. Reusing them would be an act of stupidity. No offense to the OP, but hearing "I'm new to reloading and I screwed up already" makes me cringe. </div></div>
I'm new to reloading so I'd like to know why you think this? Hopefully I can save myself some hassle further down the line.

I've actually removed a lot of live primers, I have an uncle who reloads and he is always giving bullets to my father, he never trims cases so we always have a couple rounds that don't fit in the action, I pull the rounds and deprime them, clean them (they're usually dirty), trim them, reprime them using the same primers (we both use CCI LRM), recharge them and seat the bullets. I've never had an issue doing this, and we're probably already fired maybe 80-90 rounds like this since I started reloading a few months ago. If you have to deprime a live primer, make sure you do it very slowly and carefully, so as to avoid having the primer go off, if nothing goes wrong during the depriming process then the primers can be reused if you wish.

"IF" you do it - do not let live primers accumulate in the spent primer container. If one goes - all will go in sympathy - that might leave a mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kolkio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"IF" you do it - do not let live primers accumulate in the spent primer container. If one goes - all will go in sympathy - that might leave a mark. </div></div>

This. I forgot to mention it, put the primers in a safe place after each primer is taken out, especially if you're using more volatile primers such as Federal primers, CCI is very stable and take to the depriming process with relative ease.

Iamironman: "Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo."

Goodness! Two really interesting statements, and written with certainty about someone else's intelligence. After several decades of experience reloading virtually everything shootable, and intellegently decapping a good bit of live ammo and tumbling live ammo without incident, I didn't know all that so I can't help but wonder how you support either observation with such certainty.

I'm curious; have you actually removed any live primers? If so, did any go off? If so, did they blow a finger off or blow the decapping stem out of your die, etc? Have you actually tumbled live ammo and tested it for any hazardous changes? Unless you have, how do you justify your assertions so strongly? I mean is it some other experience or web and magazine reading or is it all just a gut reaction based in fear and timidity about things you know nothing of? ???

Thanks for your input gents, I have gained some good intel here. I was able to trim the cases with the primers intact, no ignitions.Only had to deprime 3 with no incident.

"I was able to trim the cases with the primers intact, no ignitions.Only had to deprime 3 with no incident."

Certainly, but we understand being a bit anxious doing it at first. Actually, it's no big deal. A primer IS quite small and even if it were dynamite it would still be quite small and it's fully contained by the decap/sizer die anyway, it can't possibly damage anything.

Zactly.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iamironman: "Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo."

Goodness! Two really interesting statements, and written with certainty about someone else's intelligence. After several decades of experience reloading virtually everything shootable, and intellegently decapping a good bit of live ammo and tumbling live ammo without incident, I didn't know all that so I can't help but wonder how you support either observation with such certainty.

I'm curious; have you actually removed any live primers? If so, did any go off? If so, did they blow a finger off or blow the decapping stem out of your die, etc? Have you actually tumbled live ammo and tested it for any hazardous changes? Unless you have, how do you justify your assertions so strongly? I mean is it some other experience or web and magazine reading or is it all just a gut reaction based in fear and timidity about things you know nothing of? ???
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iamironman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo. Reusing them would be an act of stupidity. No offense to the OP, but hearing "I'm new to reloading and I screwed up already" makes me cringe. </div></div>

Tried to reply to this much earlier, but for some reason I can't stay signed in sometimes.
ANYway, I been reloading for 30 yrs and still have to deprime live primers from time to time. It's no big deal, and I've had primers turn sideways in the ram while priming on my press and completely FUBAR'd them pressing them in without ever having one go off.

I don't think there is much danger depriming a live primer. I have done it on rare occasions, although I don't remember exactly why I did it? I don't remember reusing then, I probably didn't? Not because I thought they wouldn't work, they probably would work okay?

But of course, like everything else here, we have to qualify a response or some nimrod will figure out a way to screw it up, like using a vice, a screwdriver and a ball pein hammer to remove a few hundred because it's not considered dangerous. Sorry, that's as creative as I can get for an example, I'm sure there are more stupid methods out there? BB

You know, the manufacturers that have been loading ammo for a hundred years make mistakes every now and then.
Shit happens.
You may be the most knowledgeable and thorough reloader on the planet but I would not shoot your reloads in my gun (anyone's reloads for that matter).
I don think that anyone who reloads should READ everything they can and learn as much as they can before they even sit at a press. And they should have easy access to go back and re-read anything that is confusing to them once they begin the process. This is definitely a process that one must swallow their pride and follow the instructions at all times.

in my experiences,removing primers don't detonate them_removed primers are shootable the 99,9% of the times_ removed primers can result slightly loose in the next primer pocket,and I dont'like that_anyway,for any really "serious" shooting,I prefer avoid them and keeping them ,as said above,for plinking, first sighting of something,etc._

"..we have to qualify a response or some nimrod will figure out a way to screw it up, like using a vice, a screwdriver and a ball pein hammer to remove a few hundred because it's not considered dangerous. Sorry, that's as creative as I can get for an example,.."

In my early days ('65), I obtained a good supply of surplus .30-06 1942 GI ammo with corrosive primers. Corrosive primers aren't the awesome problem some seem to think but I decided to pull the bullets and powder on a few hundred and replace the primers with non-corrosive. I borrowed a Lee Loader to do it with, <span style="font-style: italic">that Loader does require a hammer to drive primers out</span> and <span style="text-decoration: underline">virtually every one of the crimped-in primers did go off</span> in the process. But, even in those days I had the good sense to wear a leather work glove on my left hand as I held the decapper rod in place to hit it with the hammer, the glove protected the heel of my hand from the blown debris quite well, and I wore muffs because of the sharp POP; I still live and the decap rod never blew out of my hand - proving that primers aren't half-sticks of dynamite! Those cases worked great (I still have some in use today, quite a few were eventually reformed to .22-250) after I reamed the primer crimps out. So you may understand why I don't get the quivering sweats when I think of pushing live caps out of uncrimped cases in the conventional manner.

And, I'm sure to the consternation of some, I have even tumbled a few hundred live cartridges to remove case lube just to see how it worked. It worked. But, I usually just wipe lube off with a cloth dampened with mineral spririts because it's faster.

Yes, I am a Lee Loader alumni and I had a primer go off, which scared the shit out of me. This was in about 1968 and it was a 270, my first and the only centerfire I owned, at the time. But, I switched to a conventional press the following year. I don't even remember what happened to the Lee Loader, but I still have a set of the Lee scoops and they get used occasionally.

And, I actually know who Nimrod was, in Greek Mythology. The term is often misused, but I do know the difference. BB

I have been reloading for about 20 years and I have only attempted to de-prime a live primer once. And that was on accident. And it popped. That was an emotional event for me and I changed my reloading practices to ensure that it never happened again.

The OP wanted to re-use 40 primers. By our very nature, reloaders are a bunch of brass scrounging, recycling, re-using bastards. But, why in the name of economy would you re-use a $.01 pimer? For pete's sake it's only a penny! That is the cheapest componet of the whole process. Chamber it and blast it and get rid of it. Chalk it up to a 40 cent lesson on procedure to trim before priming and move along.

Guns

Not only removed a bunch without incident, re-used them as well with no problem. As others said I wouldn't re-use them for SERIOUS ammo.

I'm not real clear why so many here have a need to deprime live primers? For me, it is such a rare thing, so few and so long ago that I flat don't remember why, but (apparently) the situation has not come up again for a few decades, which is a ball park guess. BB

BB: "<span style="font-style: italic">I actually know who Nimrod was, in Greek Mythology. The term is often misused</span>,.."

Yeah; a lot of names and terms get misused don't they? But, it's not really the people's fault, it's just more evidence of "Modern Public Education" at work! Some of us are old enough to have had a lot more to read than "Judy Has Two Daddys and No Mommies", etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iamironman: "Removing live primers is even more stupid than the other post about tumbling live ammo."

</div></div>

I too have over 2 decades or reloading experience. As far as decapping live primers, it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN one will go off and ruin your day. I actually have nothing against tumbling live ammo, sorry if it came across that way.

"..<span style="font-style: italic">it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN one will go off and ruin your day."</span>

I fully agree that one will go off from time to time, what I question is how and why it would "ruin your day."

I ask that in view of having actually set off several hundred crimped-in military primers while using a hand held die and hammer with no harm to me, my home, my die or my panties. So I wonder what you've learned that I have not ... in nearing 5 decades of reloading. And you still haven't said if you have done any live decapping in your "2 decades of reloading experience" nor what the results were if you did. ??

<span style="font-style: italic">"I actually have nothing against tumbling live ammo,..."</span>

It <span style="font-style: italic">WAS</span> you who said anyone tumbling live ammo or decapping live primers is stupid, was it not?? It does seem proper to ask how you justify BOTH OBSERVATIONS!

My brother took out out a girl who had scars on her face from depriming live primers for her father.

One primer went off and went into the primer retaining cup, setting off the other primers.

She said every year another anvil would work it's way to the surface of her skin.

"One primer went off and went into the primer retaining cup, setting off the other primers."

Allowing a collection of live caps to accumulate in the spent primer catcher is a different problem from simply decapping.

Exactly my thoughts, I remove each primer from the primer catcher each time I deprime a live one, its the safest way to go about doing this.

I am amazed that there has been so much discussion about a few primers worth 3 cents apiece.

Jesus, I had no idea that times were so hard that someone would screw around with $2.00 woth of primeers risking detonation, misfires and bullet pulling exercise resulting from attempting to recycle primers, or any of the rest of the crap being discussed here!!!!

Knock them out, throw them away and stop wasting your freakin time on this!!!

Some of us do some things just for the learning value without wondering if we're wasting time. Some don't. ??

I get that, but conversely some questions are just not worth asking. Will a primer detonate if I try to unseat it? That's worth knowing how to do safely because I may have to do it. Not a waste of time.

Can I re-use it and save 3 cents on a round by doing so at a significant risk of hang fire or misfire? That is an unsafe practice and is not worth encouraging people to try and it isn't about how much time you have on your hands.

I don't know whether I can force a 338 bullet down the bore of my 300 Win Mag either but I am not going to try that and I don't think I suffer from a lack of intellectual curiosity if I don't give that a whirl.

Don't listen to what some people say, there ARE stupid questions.

"Don't listen to what some people say, there ARE stupid questions."

Yes; ditto answers!
smile.gif

THAT'S FUNNY! Memo to self: do not engage fuzz in verbal reparte'.
BB

Im with you and I cant imagine reusing a primer. They cost .03$ each so why bother with something so critical. I have removed them before wearing safety goggles but I would never reuse them.

But I do admit to tumbling loaded 45 or other round nose ammo. Maybe I need to rethink that too

You'll note that on a "new" primer, the anvil sticks out beyond the cup. When you seat that primer, the cup bottoms out in the primer pocket and that pushes the anvil into the cup where it is now "flush" (even though you can not now see it). That "sensitizes" the primer.

I've carefully de-capped many a live primer in a bench-mounted press, and do not recall ever having one go off. BUT, I've never re-used one, and never plan to....

Cheers,

Bill

That just about expresses my attitude ^ except I have not done it a lot. I'm still looking for a reason. Why deprime? Is this when pulling bullets, dumping powder and then removing the primer, starting over?

So, (apparently) we have some people that prime cases and then change their mind and decide to use a different primer, like it will make a great deal of difference? Maybe somebody gives you some primed cases and you don't know what they are, so you get rid of them and salvage the case?

I don't know? I'm out of ideas? But, I'm curious. BB

"Why deprime?"

I don't know - or care - why others want or need to decap live primers. I do know why I have occasionally done it and that's enough for me.

Okay, I'm not curious enough to beg, you can keep your secrets. BB

primers are what $.03 ea... so 50 wasted are $1.50... call it $2...

if you can't waste $2 worth of primers instead of trying to salvage them... you're probably in the wrong hobby

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Three Guns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reloading for about 20 years and I have only attempted to de-prime a live primer once. And that was on accident. And it popped. That was an emotional event for me and I changed my reloading practices to ensure that it never happened again.

The OP wanted to re-use 40 primers. By our very nature, reloaders are a bunch of brass scrounging, recycling, re-using bastards. But, why in the name of economy would you re-use a $.01 pimer? For pete's sake it's only a penny! That is the cheapest componet of the whole process. Chamber it and blast it and get rid of it. Chalk it up to a 40 cent lesson on procedure to trim before priming and move along.

Guns</div></div>

Good tip!! chamber and blast it. Or a little wd40 can kill the primer and you don't need to worry about it popping.

I have never had a live primer go off when punching them out of a case, but they always make me nervous as hell, so I don't recommend it. Trimming cases with primers in shouldn't be an issue as long as the case doesn't get hot.

If you can hold the case in your fingers, it doesn't have enough heat to pop the primer...but heat alone WILL set 'em off.