• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing LMT MWS bolt catch

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
The bolt catch on my MWS has started flopping around freely, no spring pressure against it. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I need to get this fixed as the bolt gets caught about every other round.

Tonight I found an allen wrench the correct size for the screw in the bolt catch, but I can't turn the screw. I actually twisted the little wrench and broke the tip off. I got the tip out with a magnet but I am still at a loss on how to get this screw loose.

Do any of you have ideas on how to get the screw loose that holds the bolt catch in? Any ideas why the catch would just flop around freely? It's like the spring is broken or stuck in the compressed position.

Thanks

call LMT and ask them. I would maybe send it in.

I had the same thing happen to mine. The bolt catch had jammed the plunger/spring in the compressed position. The screw is red locktited so it is hard to get out.
Hammered the plunger with a pin punch and got it broken loose. The bolt catch had deformed the aluminum around the plunger just enough to make it stick in the compressed position.
Works perfect now.

I've had two strip within the last week. Got one out with an EZ Out (bitching easy about it) and the other is being cut free with an EDM. Huge PITA from a terrible design.

I had a chance today to look into my issue. I put a little heat on the screw holding the bolt catch in, then it came right out without issue. Just like LCJones I found a bit of aluminum had been pushed over the plunger and caused it to stick in the down position. A little working with a small phillips head screwdriver and a drill bit and I'm back in business.

Glad it worked out with a little heat. I was ready to replace the spring in mine a while back due to the bolt catch engaging every other round but it turned out to be the over gassing issue when running suppressed. Compensated for it with the slash heavy buffer and spring. Even got a new spring from LMT but never used it.