• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

removing Rem 700 action

cecchino76

Solo shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2013
    North Carolina
    :mad:I can't remove barrel from Rem 700:mad:
    I have everything I need ( wrench, wise ,tools but ,
    My barrel still spins around in the wise ,I'm using aluminum wise jaws,
    I tried with2x4 but still spins, I even tight the wise real hard ( almost broke my wise)
    Is that anything I can do to make this work?
    Thanks guys

try a little powdered rosin or even powdered sugar between the barrel vise and barrel....sometimes even paper card stock will do the job. Several of the recent 700 barrels I've pulled had a lock tite type substance in the threads. Had to pull out the torch and warm things up. Also sometimes a really sharp blow to the end of the action wrench will break the barrel loose when pulling on it spins the barrel in the vise

if you get a good grip on both action and barrel, they'll come apart, every time.....

Kibo57, thanks ,I am going to try your system, I think my grip its not strong enough
    This should do the job

I have had to cut a relief after the lug to get some factory Remington barrels off.
    This is not a factory barrel ,Its a LongRifle Inc job from the group buy
    I don't think they use any lock tite for their jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not a factory barrel, its a LongRifle Inc job from the group buy
    I don't think they use any lock tite ontheir work

Last edited:
    I've had the same issue. Now I always soak the thread in in BG in force through the front scope mount screw hole overnight and they always come loose. PB blaster, Kroil, and CLP Break free will also work.

I tried with aluminum blocks in my Kurt angle lock vise. The barrel still slipped. Bought a real barrel vise and it worked.
    Vise2_zps83977587.jpg

This is the one I use. Wayne

I like a hot air gun for heating without destroying temper - I would try the barreled action in the freezer, wrap the barrel to keep it cold while heating to expand the action

if that does not work you will need a better barrel vise

:D GUYS I FREAKING DID IT ;)
    I used sand paper wrapped around the barrel in between the wise jaws and with an hammer I stroked the wrench abdle
    It came loose at the first hit
    Thanks everyone of you for all your suggestions , man I love the hide

I've used the brownells vise on some old Mausers. Had to use a cheater bar on the bolts to clamp it super tight. Used the cheater bar again on the wrench with a quick snap. Profit.

just curious but why are you taking apart a recently built rifle? did you get a switch barrel or something?
    I wanted to switch caliber, so I went from 308 Win to 6.5 CM, my 308 has only 50 shots down the tube,
    But I got into this 6.5 thing and I'm hooked