• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Removing tar sealant from pulled bullets ?

Re: Removing tar sealant from pulled bullets ?

If it's actually tar, gasoline comes to mind.

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner should work. A little gasoline would be cheaper, but be careful with it. I have tumbled some in sand in my rotary tumbler. It got the sealant off and did not hurt the bullet, but they came out rather dull looking. That was the least amount of labor. Lightman

I think what you are dealing with is asphaltum. Mineral spirits, turpentine, gasoline,acetone, brake cleaner, varsol, kerosene, any of them will do. In my opinion the least dangerous to mess with would be turpentine or mineral spirits. Brake cleaner is way expensive compared to the others. Of course gasoline is cheapest. I would throw them in to soak and swish around. Come back in 30 minutes and it should all be disolved with no rubbing required. IF it is asphaltum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30 cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any ideas on an easy way to remove it. Bullet are 175gr. LR pulls, have 3000 to do. </div></div>

I've got some M-25 tracers with lots of tar on them and I used a can of brake cleaner squirted into a shop rag, but a) don't smoke while doing this and b) do it outside. I almost passed out doing it while watching TV and I'm in Miami with windows open half the year.

Chris

I have always used my Rotary tumbler with fine corn cob and a couple cap fulls of mineral spirits. Tumble for about one hour and they will be shiny as new.

Terry

There is a compound called Zylene that can be found at Lowes, but it runs about $27 per gallon. I found that filling a tuna can (empty) half way up with it, and putting cases in upside down for about 20-30 seconds works miracles. I remove and I use a 30 caliber barrel swab and go in and out and it probably gets just about all of it in 1 pass.

You can do the same for pulled bullets with a rag soaked in it.

Use plastic gloves. I've used odorless mineral spirits with a course rag to clean a bunch of large and small bullets. Slow process but good results. Mineral spirits won't harm you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have always used my Rotary tumbler with fine corn cob and a couple cap fulls of mineral spirits. Tumble for about one hour and they will be shiny as new.

Terry </div></div>

this will be the best option - if you have to do it indoors spend the extra 2 $ for low oder mineral spirits - your tumbler will also come out nice and clean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 280nosler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a compound called Zylene that can be found at Lowes, but it runs about $27 per gallon. I found that filling a tuna can (empty) half way up with it, and putting cases in upside down for about 20-30 seconds works miracles. I remove and I use a 30 caliber barrel swab and go in and out and it probably gets just about all of it in 1 pass.

You can do the same for pulled bullets with a rag soaked in it. </div></div>

Before you go shopping for it, it's spelled xylene.

That works, so does acetone. Pretty much any organic solvent of that sort will soften or dissolve the tar.

Potugeese762NatopulldownBerdanbrass2-18-2013.jpg

I bought Portuguese pull down 7.62 Berdan primed brass that Clinton allowed into the country via South Africa.

I saw the tar, but never had a good plan until I read this thread.

I have the same tarred neck on some LakeCity milsurp caes that I bought. Unfortunately, they are still primed so I had no intention of removing the tar. Obviously, I don't plan on using these for high precision shooting until I can at least get them fired, then go through my normal case prep ritual.

Question: I should still be able to seat good quality bullets into these cases without worrying about the tar causing any kind of unwanted issues, correct?

try tumbling in walnut and adding some denatured alcohol. Much better for your brain cells than some of the other solvents listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerHappy44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same tarred neck on some LakeCity milsurp caes that I bought. Unfortunately, they are still primed so I had no intention of removing the tar. Obviously, I don't plan on using these for high precision shooting until I can at least get them fired, then go through my normal case prep ritual.

Question: I should still be able to seat good quality bullets into these cases without worrying about the tar causing any kind of unwanted issues, correct? </div></div>

You can reload those without an issue - use the tuna can method I discussed earlier. You can remove the tar, keep the primer alive, then reload with your favorite powder/bullet.

Thanks for the help, will start with the mineral spirits.

Vinegar works good, you only have to let them set upside down for two or three minutes then wipe them off. You may want to rinse them with tap water afterwards.

The tip was for loaded rds. For pulled bullets submerge them in vinegar for fifteen minutes then wash them in soapy water, pull out and rinse.

I had some left over acetone (paint supply shelf at the auto parts store) from some auto work. I put some in a glass jar and dumped a bunch of .223 FMJ pulls in it and swirled them around in the jar. The "goo" on the bullets disappeared. I poured the acetone into another jar and dumped the bullets on on a rag to dry. They were "purty."

MEK {methyl ethyl ketone} is the fastest thing I have ever used. It cuts it off right now...a little in a can to cover the bullets and shake 'em around in a few circles, it's gone. Drys very fast too. As an added plus the fumes 'll get ya high.

Not sure about MEK but xylene on your hands will cause a metallic taste in your mouth so cant be good .Use gloves . Xylene will also suck oil right out of steel .Try some on a blued barrel and it will turn it silver looking and when oil is applied the blue comes right back . Arnie

I use a can of brake cleaner - I put the bullets in a zip lock bag with some strips of paper towel and put a few squirts of cleaner in. Swish around a bit, the paper towel catches most of the crud. I then clean them up afterwards with a clean towel and a little bit of cleaner. Made the mistake when I first tried cleaning these of putting them in walnut media without any type of cleaning solution - it just made a horrible mess inside the tumbler and all over the bullets. Not to be recommended!

xylene and xylol are both very high voc's compounds, use gloves (must be chemical resistant they will eat through latex right now) in a very (underline very) well ventilated area. Both can be absorbed through the skin and are directly linked to dain bramage, I am curtain. Joking aside, don't do it around your kids, if you use enough that you can taste it, or feel uneven headed, any sort of effect, you are over exposed and the stuff is bad for your brain which cannot regenerate cells.

I found that soaking in K-1 Kerosene worked very effectively. Less volatile/flammable than gasoline, etc., cheaper, reusable, and available off the shelf in reasonably small quantities at Wallyworld during the Winter months. My second/third choices are Mineral Spirits and Odorless Paint Thinner.

Greg

Last edited:
I use Q-tips dipped in Xylene and swab out the case necks. A bit tedious, but it keeps the chemical off the primers.

Diesel fuel....no need to get the super harsh stuff. Diesel fuel melts giant chunks of hardened asphalt/tar off of dumptruck tailgates like butter. The tiny bit in your brass will be no problem. Id stainless tumble to remove whatever you use

Kerosine and diesel fuel are almost the same thing. Kerosine is just a tighter fraction off the distillation column.

The same safety precautions with kerosine, diesel fuel, mineral spirits, etc. as for all the other solvents. GOOD ventilation and gloves (nitrile or neoprene for most of these solvents).