• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Removing Trust co-trustee question

canezach

House of Chingasos
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2014
    Colorado
    Gents, I received word that my Form 4 was kicked back. I had bought suppressors years ago through the trust before the ATF started making fingerprints a requirement for everybody that was listed, so I had my son listed in the trust as my initial co-trustee. Fast forward to now and my Form 4 was kicked because I didn't include fingerprints for my son. My mistake, as I had listed him on the trust when he lived with me. He now lives in a completely different state, so it's not like he's shooting with me often. Is it a simple fix where all I need to do is remove his name and have the trust re-notarized, or is it a more complicated fix? The ATF is giving me until July 2 to resubmit out I'll have to start the Form 4 all over again.

Edit: as Dillhole pointed out, he was actually a co-trustee. I don't know why I wrote beneficiary

Last edited:
    Ooo, watching this because I’m gonna be in the same boat when the ATF gets around to mine.

EDIT: Ah, co-trustee, not beneficiary. Thank goodness, hopefully I’m still in the clear.

Last edited:
    ::tagging in because I’m about to go through this next year::

Have you tried contacting an ATF NFA representative to see what they recommend? …AKA what they’ll accept?

Hopefully you don’t have to start over.
    🍻

Reactions: canezach
    Why not just have your son log in and update his fingerprints. I think it will take them right off the phone.

Problem with removing him from trust is the disposition of items when you pass. I believe it would be simpler/ better to jump through the hoops and add req'd fingerprints if necessary. YMMV

Reactions: Ronin_64
    A beneficiary is different than a trustee. Only trustees need to be checked when Items added. A beneficiary is in place when you die. To my knowledge a beneficiary isn’t part of the trust like a trustee and can’t legally posses the items unless changed to a trustee Or upon your death after the proper background checks have been completed verifyi their legality tonposses such items. sounds to me like your son is a trustee. It’s easy to remove him, it’s literally a piece of paper added to the trust.

Reactions: canezach
    ::tagging in because I’m about to go through this next year::

Have you tried contacting an ATF NFA representative to see what they recommend? …AKA what they’ll accept?

Hopefully you don’t have to start over.
    🍻
    I haven't yet. I just found out about it Friday night, so I won't be able to call until tomorrow. Figured I would just ask here in the meantime

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    A beneficiary is different than a trustee. Only trustees need to be checked when Items added. A beneficiary is in place when you die. To my knowledge a beneficiary isn’t part of the trust like a trustee and can’t legally posses the items unless changed to a trustee Or upon your death after the proper background checks have been completed verifyi their legality tonposses such items. sounds to me like your son is a trustee. It’s easy to remove him, it’s literally a piece of paper added to the trust.
    You are correct. I meant co-trustee. I don't know why I wrote beneficiary, but updated above.

Yeah, seems like your two options are fingerprints or amend the trust. Either is a bit of a pain, but I think an amendment has to be notarized, so bear that in mind.

I actually emailed the examiner and to my surprise, she replied within minutes. I'm just amending my trust and removing my son as a co-trustee. I know several notaries, so it's a simple issue for me.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
    Yeah, seems like your two options are fingerprints or amend the trust. Either is a bit of a pain, but I think an amendment has to be notarized, so bear that in mind.
    Nope. You can literally just fill out a form removing the trustee, buy the item and do the normal NFA paperwork. Wait till you take possession and literally just remove the paperwork from the trust that removed the person and no harm no foul. Now keep in mind this only works one item at a time. You would literally have to do this for every purchases separate or buy a shit Ton of stuff all at once. The point being you can’t add them back until all of the form 4s or 1s or whatever that were submitted with said individual have been processed and accepted and possession transferred. You can’t remove them and buy something and add them back the extra day.

Reactions: 260284 and tnc
    Gents, I received word that my Form 4 was kicked back. I had bought suppressors years ago through the trust before the ATF started making fingerprints a requirement for everybody that was listed, so I had my son listed in the trust as my initial co-trustee. Fast forward to now and my Form 4 was kicked because I didn't include fingerprints for my son. My mistake, as I had listed him on the trust when he lived with me. He now lives in a completely different state, so it's not like he's shooting with me often. Is it a simple fix where all I need to do is remove his name and have the trust re-notarized, or is it a more complicated fix? The ATF is giving me until July 2 to resubmit out I'll have to start the Form 4 all over again.

Edit: as Dillhole pointed out, he was actually a co-trustee. I don't know why I wrote beneficiary
    I'd contact Silencer Shop, and see if there's any way your son can make an account, go to his nearest SS dealer and digitally scan his fingerprints, and if you don't use SS, then you do the same, and then both of your info will be in their system, and then could possibly re-submit for you? Might cost you some money or something, I don't know, but it would be the easiest route if they would let you do that, especially since you're both in different states.

When i was buying a gemtech mist the other day i had to create an account with silencer shop, i had previously done a one pop on my first can but then converted it into a trust which suprisingly didnt cost anything. But i had to log in and update my picture cause it was over a year old and i noticed they showed a thing for fingerprints too. Looked like you could update them right from your phone.

When i was buying a gemtech mist the other day i had to create an account with silencer shop, i had previously done a one pop on my first can but then converted it into a trust which suprisingly didnt cost anything. But i had to log in and update my picture cause it was over a year old and i noticed they showed a thing for fingerprints too. Looked like you could update them right from your phone.
    Fingerprints must be done at the kiosk.

Got ya, i didnt have to update my prints, just thought it was odd seeing it as an option on my phone when i updated my picture.
    You may be able to upload an image of prints done at a sheriff station perhaps in the app. But the prints must be done via an approved method

Reactions: Texasflyer
    I amend my Trust to remove my 2 co-trustee's (wife and brother), file the Form 1 or 4, wait for tax stamp approval, a month later I amend my Trust again to add them back on. I've done this twice.

It also has really helped that my Notary public is my best friend.

Reactions: tnc