• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Replace scope base with Picatinny Rail.

G5guy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2014
Arley, Alabama
Hi guys,,I'm nowhere close to being a gunsmith, but I thought that with all of the exacting tolerances of todays cnc machines that this would be easy. As I started my research I found out that it's maybe not just a walk in the park. I talked to my local smith, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he says to just screw on the new rail and go shoot. My question is,,,is it necessary to bed the new rail to the receiver or is this just over the top? Lots of info that says to do this. What do you suggest? Thanks,

G5guy

Bed it. It takes five minutes, and 24 hour of drying.

If you want to know if it needs bedding, put the base on with only the front screws, torque to spec, then run a flashlight around the rear, if you see any light bed it.

You'll probably see light on a factory rifle.

Bed it. It takes five minutes, and 24 hour of drying.

If you want to know if it needs bedding, put the base on with only the front screws, torque to spec, then run a flashlight around the rear, if you see any light bed it.

You'll probably see light on a factory rifle.

What he said, the only thing you need to remember is that when you bed it don't tighten the screws just keep them engaged a few turns for alignment

I did this today. First I torqued the front screws, no light under the rear, then I removed the front screws and torqued the rear screws, no light at the front. "I'm good", I thought.

After torquing both front and rear, I looked down the length of the rail and I noticed that it was warped. I loosened the rear screws and it remained warped. retightened the rear screws and loosened the front screws-- straight as an arrow. Sooo, I filled the front receiver screw holes and lightly coated the top of the receiver with Imperial sizing wax and bedded the front pad with JB weld after thorough degreasing. We'll see how it works out tomorrow.

Well, there seems to be a consensus of opinions here. Guess I will totally screw this up or find a smith that sounds competent. Thanks to everyone for their replies.

G5guy