• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

replacement foam

Dead Nutz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2014
My new rifle should be finished in a few weeks. Will probably sell my old one. Wondering if there was a place to get some replacement foam for my rifle case. There is a guy here in town that can cut it for me. Thanks for any info provided.

These folks are nice to deal with, and if you can get someone to cut raw sheets you may end up even cheaper:

Chair Cushion, Boat Cushions, Replacement Cushions, Patio Cushion

I don't like dealing with Cheaper than Dirt, but in the past I've gotten decent pricing on foam replacement kits from them as well. Keep in mind that you can keep multiple top pieces cut for different rifles and just trade them out using the same case if need be.

Most Military Surplus stores here have foam for sale and at a reasonable price, you can always get it from the manufacturer as well ? Not sure which would be more economical but I would go with the easiest on me to acquire and swap out? Which for me would be local and cutting it is very straight forward as working in USAF Tool Rooms gave me plenty of time to learn how to cut foam and it's pretty simple ?

Custom Foam Case Inserts - MyCaseBuilder.com has a fairly decent service that allows you to submit a picture of your rifle and any other items you want in the case and they will basically create the shapes for you then you use their layout service to configure the case however you want! I used their service for some cases for work and it turned out some great stuff.

Isn't that nice - I was just in need of some replacement foam!

Lotta guys here in NM just use a soft sided drag type bag and throw them in the Pelicans which I am still trying to wrap my hands around why ? Yes foam has been removed or maybe just partial foam removed but not sure?

Do you need a foam that is resistant to gun oils, solvents, etc? Does someone have a phone number for a company that sells a foam replacement for my Pelican 1750 case?

There's a number of different places selling closed cell polyethylene foam. It's finding a good deal that's challenging for me right now as I'm looking to pick up six different insert pieces to swap back and forth.

When I posted the link earlier I realized it was the wrong shop in my favorites. Here's the one I meant to link:

http://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html

You can save money by going with open-cell foam. Many of us have it already in our Pelican cases and don't really think much about it, but the closed cell offers some additional benefits.

Last edited:
That's the one I've been looking at, but they're not exactly cheap at $43 per 1/4 sheet for 2" thick foam. Free shipping is a plus (it's never "free" though, right?), but I'm going to wait until I get back stateside and try to source some out locally. It will definitely be closed cell, the open cell is just not durable enough for anything other than filler material. Buy once, cry once...

hh

What size do you need? I have some extra. I would also cut it yourself with an electric knife. Unless you are ultra annal retentive and trying to turn it into some type of presentation case, it is the way to go. Optics planet has a pretty good how to video:

Pelican Gun Case Foam Tutorial - OpticsPlanet Video Guide on Preparing Gun Cases

For Christ's sake, I could've used this yesterday, I just bought the 1750, traced my rifle with a sharpy and cut the foam out with an exacto knife, looks like a blind monkey with Parkinson's cut it out, though the rifle actually fits in nicely so I don't much care.