• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Replacing a muzzle break on Bushmaster?

Longrange1971

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
Maryland
Hi Folks,
I have a bushmaster 5.56 that I bought post ban in maryland. It had the pined stock and the ported muzzle break instead of the flash suppressor. I understand that this muzzle break is also pined in place. I want to remove it and replace it with a regular flash suppressor. Is this possible? I was told that they were pined, however the barrel was still threaded. does anyone have any idea

Thanks for the help!!

Re: Replacing a muzzle break on Bushmaster?

Your gunsmith should be able to turn off the muzzle break to defeat the pin and save the threads. If you cant find someone local you can send it to me.

+1 on what HSSS said. We used to do a LOT of them. Been a while since we saw one of the old mini-Y comps. Send me a PM if you'd like and we can do it.

Yeah Thats what I have on mine, the mini Y Comp. I sthis something that I can do myself. I have the M-4 armorers kit and a dremmel tool :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longrange1971</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah Thats what I have on mine, the mini Y Comp. I sthis something that I can do myself. I have the M-4 armorers kit and a dremmel tool :) </div></div>

Sure, why not cut into your barrel with a hand tool.

We just invest thousands of dollars into a lathe because we like doing things the hard way. ;-)

To save $25 is it worth the chance? Plus you need to keep in mind that once you remove the comp, whats your barrel length gonna be? Most of the post-ban bushy's with the mini-Y were 14.5" bbls. Can you perm attach a new flash hider/comp to make it legal again?

Buy a new FH/comp (make sure its long enough, a standard A2 birdcage IS NOT LONG ENOUGH), and ship it with the barrel to someone that can do it all at once for you.

I did mine (AK brake) using hand tools. I taped heavy on the barrel and took my time. It is pinned in 2 spots but I don't remember if it was 3-9 or at 12-6 o'clock. Mine took several hours an a new muzzle device needs to be added if you have the 14.5 or shorter barrel otherwise you'll end up with an NFA issue.

A smith could handle it a lot easier and faster. The threads are 1/2-28 so just pick out a standard muzzle device that is longer than the A1/A2

I tried to remove it myself on my XM-15. After ruining half the threading, I thought loctite 638 would be an adequate solution. And after launching a Surefire supressor like a rifle grenade, I was out about fifteen-hundred dollars. Learn from my stupidity: Take it to a smith!

...That story is always a conversation killer; I need to stop telling it!

Hey guys thanks for the input I have a large enough bird cage to make it long enough. I guess doing it myself may not be the best idea in the world. I have been known to screw some stuff up. LOL

Not sure where you're at in MD, Dave Grimm in York PA could take care of it and his fees are "cheap." If you're in Baltimore County it's a pretty short trip.