• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replacing the scale, how accurate do I need?

Helter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2011
I'm just getting into reloading, and purchased the lee single stage kit.
So far I'm enjoying things, but the lee safety scale is a total pain in the ass. It's got to go.
I want to get a digital scale. I understand the potential issues with an electronic device, but I'm not really into watching to see whether two lines match up. I'd rather just have a number.
I see good things about the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo, and I'm about ready to get one. I like the idea of just pushing a button and having the correct charge come out. But then I see that the gemtech 250 is about an order more precise and gets recommended over the RCBS...
Do I need that though?
My intention is to use this for tactical type competitions, no interest in benchrest shooting. Do I need my powder throws to be within .02 grains of each other? I mean I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but how much does it help? At 1k yards, what will the difference between 43.20, 43.18, and 43.22 grains be?

Re: Replacing the scale, how accurate do I need?

More than nist traceability you need consistency. No you dont need a .01gr or better scale. With scales that sensitive breathing near them can be a problem.

The RCBS Chargemaster Combo is a great piece of equipment and very accurate/consistent. Lots of info on tweaking this unit if needed as well.

Thanks! This purchase will pretty much double what I've already spent on reloading equipment, so I just want to make sure it's a reasonable one. I figure that if I start buying high quality stuff, at the very least I'll be able to get some of my money back if I have to resell it.

It does make me curious though, how much of an effect do those variations make? There's got to be *some* change in 42.0 vs 42.05...

Might want to keep the Lee safety scale to cross check from time to time. I have an electronic scale but it is mostly used for weight sorting cases and bullets.

OFG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldfatguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might want to keep the Lee safety scale to cross check from time to time. I have an electronic scale but it is mostly used for weight sorting cases and bullets.

OFG </div></div>

I will, and I'm also going to get some calibration weights.

+1 on Dstewart51. Consistency is king!! I started on a digital scale and disliked it because it wouldn't smoothly measure the charge. I would trickle powder in and then it would jump up .5 grains cause the charge to be to great. I don't remember what brand but it wasn't on the level of an rcbs chargemaster (might have been part of the problem). That being said if you're loading a bunch of rounds try setting up a powder measure and take the time get it to throw the exact charge. Once you get it there then you can just drop the charge without measuring every single one. Check one every so many charges to be sure it is consistent. Just an idea

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on Dstewart51. Consistency is king!! I started on a digital scale and disliked it because it wouldn't smoothly measure the charge. I would trickle powder in and then it would jump up .5 grains cause the charge to be to great. I don't remember what brand but it wasn't on the level of an rcbs chargemaster (might have been part of the problem). That being said if you're loading a bunch of rounds try setting up a powder measure and take the time get it to throw the exact charge. Once you get it there then you can just drop the charge without measuring every single one. Check one every so many charges to be sure it is consistent. Just an idea </div></div>

Yeah, I have one, but as I'm relatively new to this, and planning on using the rounds for LR shooting, I'm going to stick with weighing them.
Once I have a decent scale (that I can use, the Lee may be a decent scale, but I just can't use it) I might run some tests with my measure to see how consistent it is. And If I start reloading for my AR, I'll almost certainly just be throwing from a measure.

I use the Denver Instrument MXX-123. It is my understanding that this scale is accurate to 0.02 grains, which equates to a kernel of Varget. I have had no problems measuring charge weights and I am extremely pleased with the precision of this scale.

Thanks! This purchase will pretty much double what I've already spent on reloading equipment, so I just want to
g.gif
make sure it's a reasonable one.

The MXX123 is the best you can buy in my opinion. They make very good instruments. They were giving discounts for something, i can't remember any more. Maybe it was a 6mmbr.com discount. Probably not anymore though.

xdeano