• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replica USMC M14 DMR project completed

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
This is not exactly a sniper rifle, and not sure if it qualifies yet as a "vintage" rifle, but for anyone interested, here's a replica of a USMC M14 Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR). These were in service from roughly 2000 to 2010, and saw extensive use in Afghanistan and Iraq. This replica is configured with the optic mounting system used near the end of its service life (i.e., SEI scope mount and Badger Ordnance DMR rings). This rifle was built by a retired USMC precision armorer, and I am happy to have been able to build one of these iconic looking rifles.

Brief history of USMC M14 DMR: The Marine Corps tested various configurations of an M14-based Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) during the 1990s, and developed the technical package for the final configuration around 1998. Production of the DMR at Quantico’s Precision Weapon Section (PWS) began around 2000 (NSN: 1005-01-458-6235). It is not clear how many DMRs were made by PWS personnel, but according to Lee Emerson’s excellent book, M14 Rifle History & Development (5th Editon), as of mid-2007, the USMC listed 381 rifles in their inventory, so my guesstimate is that around 400 were likely made. In the Iraqi theater some DMR’s were fitted with variable power 3.5-10x40mm Leupold Mk 4 scopes. Presumably this variable magnification optic was utilized as it provided a wider field of view in an urban setting, relative to the original fixed 10x scope. Some DMR’s were also fitted with AN/PVS-10 or PVS-17 night vision scopes, and a few were equipped with specifically fitted barrel collars for use with an OPS Inc. sound suppressor.

The original DMR's used a GG&G “USMC” marked scope mount along with original GG&G 30mm rings. Reportedly there were some issues with either the original mount and/or rings. Apparently in the late 200Xs, DMR’s that came in for servicing were updated with the Smith Enterprise, Inc (SEI) scope mount, and Badger Ordnance DMR specific steel scope rings. Around 2008, the USMC began withdrawing DMR’s from service, and replacing them on a one-for-one basis with the SAGE-chassis based M39. However, per a DoD picture, at least one or more DMRs were still in active service in Afghanistan circa 2010. They reportedly performed well in harsh combat conditions during the opening decade of the 200Xs.

Anyhow, here’s some pics of this tribute DMR build.

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

No range report until the spring, but after 19 months of collecting parts and waiting on the builder, I'm glad that its now finished.
Happy Holidays.

Last edited:
This is not exactly a sniper rifle, and not sure if it qualifies yet as a "vintage" rifle, but for anyone interested, here's a replica of a USMC Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR). These were in service from roughly 2000 to 2010, and saw extensive use in Afghanistan and Iraq. This replica is configured with the optic mounting system used near the end of its service life (i.e., SEI scope mount and Badger Ordnance DMR rings). This rifle was built by a retired USMC precision armorer, and I am happy to have been able to build one of these iconic looking rifles.

Brief history of USMC M14 DMR: The Marine Corps tested various configurations of an M14-based Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) during the 1990s, and developed technical package for the final configuration around 1998. Production of the DMR at Quantico’s Precision Weapon shop (PWS) began around 2000 (NSN: 1005-01-458-6235). It is not clear how many DMRs were made by PWS personnel, but according to Lee Emerson’s excellent book, M14 Rifle History & Development (5th Editon), as of mid-2007, the USMC listed 381 rifles in their inventory, so my guesstimate is that around 400 were likely made. In the Iraqi theater some DMR’s were fitted with variable power 3.5-10x40mm Leupold Mk 4 scopes. Presumably this variable magnification optic was utilized as it provided a wider field of view in an urban setting, relative to the original fixed 10x scope. Some DMR’s were also fitted with AN/PVS-10 or PVS-17 night vision scopes, and a few were equipped with specifically fitted barrel collars for use with an OPS Inc, sound suppressor.

The original DMR's used GG&G “USMC” marked scope mount along with original GG&G s rings. Reportedly there were some issues with either the original mount and/or rings. Apparently in the late 200Xs, DMR’s that came in for servicing were updated with the Smith Enterprise, Inc (SEI) scope mount, and Badger Ordnance DMR specific steel scope rings. Around 2008, the USMC began withdrawing DMR’s from service, and replacing them on a one-for-one basis with the SAGE-chassis based M39. However, per a DoD picture, at least one or more DMRs were still in active service in Afghanistan circa 2010. They are iconic looking M14 rifles that reportedly performed well in harsh combat conditions during the opening decade of the 200Xs.

View attachment 7208590

View attachment 7208596

No range report until the spring, but after 18 months of collecting parts and waiting on the builder, I'm glad that its now finished.
Very nice, thanks for information ..

I have never understood the love/hate for the M14 as a DMR. I know from what many have gleaned here that the big issue was that the action wasn't always solidly joined into the stock. I carried an M14 in Ranger School and only live fired them once or twice. They seemed to function fine.

Our guys, when I was in, carried the M-21. Everyone I know who was sniper qualified felt it was a good choice for that role. Again, we find out later, the bedding situation was the issue, not the ability to accurize the rifle. Then there was the M25/pre-M25 started up in Ft. Devens with the 10th. Between recoil lugs and the steel bedding frame it showed the rifle can be made and retain accuracy. What most gunsmiths could easily see though, the military ignored. Until it was too late for the program.

I guess what I'm saying is everytime I see the M14 come up for a DM or sniper role it gets shot in the ass. I'm glad to see you post this up @Random Guy

I think you did a great job on it. It looks jam up and I look forward to the range report.

As far as any sniper platform that uses an M14 getting bad reviews or "opinions" on the negative is still open for debate IMO.

I was lucky enough to get a short, first hand opinion of it's performance from a vet and thats good enough for me.

I recently met a former US Army Viet Nam sniper while on my job delivering auto parts to a shop and could only talk for a few minutes. He had a hat and jacket on that had his unit embroidered on and Nam sniper vet also on his cap. His name was Bill H.
Due to my interest and building an M40 replica/clone recently I asked him what weapon he used in the war. He said he was issued a scoped M14, an M21. He said it had a wood stock but it was changed to a fiberglass stock after a short time as the stock swelled from the rain and constant moisture and it affected it's accuracy.
He said the new one shot great, very accurate.
He didn't give me a confirmed kill count and I didn't ask him either. I learned that long ago when I was a kid. I asked my dad how many japs he killed in the war. He looked away from me and walked into the hallway.
Mom overheard this and said this to me and I'll never forget it "You shouldn't ask your father things like that ".

Anyways...................
Bill said most of the time he and another soldier went out to "work" and were dropped off quite a ways out and had 72 hours to find the target , complete the job and return to the pickup point for extraction. He also said it was good having a semi auto rifle along with his spotter that carried an M16, more firepower than a bolt gun.
After going on two particular missions he said he appreciated having this rifle as he could get a few hits quickly as it stayed on target better than a bolt action rifle would have as he would of had to work the bolt and have to sight in the targets again and it would have slowed things down too much when it turned into a fire fight.

I didn't think of asking him if he trained with a bolt gun but from his comments I think he did.

I thanked him for talking with me and for his service, shook his hand and said good bye. He said he'd probably see me again as he always brings his jeep to get worked on and serviced at that shop.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to share it with all of you.

Well done sir!!! I have a DMR stock years ago from a hide member. Based on my research it is legit. Just acquired all parts and using an LRB action. Any advice on a builder?

Now that you have several of the nicest examples of M14 sniper clones I have seen, I am curious if one will eventually become a clear favorite and why... Figure this could take some time, but I would bet one will rise to the top.

I have never understood the love/hate for the M14 as a DMR. I know from what many have gleaned here that the big issue was that the action wasn't always solidly joined into the stock. I carried an M14 in Ranger School and only live fired them once or twice. They seemed to function fine

I think the Marines that used the DMR liked them overall. A lot of effort went into building them by PWS precision armorers, and they were accurate, but it was a very labor intensive build (i.e., welding on a rear lug, bedding the action, knurling the barrel at op rod guide and gas cylinder mating surface, fitting the gas cylinder to the barrel, etc). FWIW, DMRs were tested at 300 yards with 5-rds of M118LR, and each rifle needed to have the group stay within a 3"x3" square, or 1 MOA. Anyhow, I found this post of a Marine who used one in Afghanistan, and he ultimately had it tatooed on himself, so I guess that is a pretty strong endorsement....

Ah, my baby. This was my most favorite gun of all. I managed to jack this M14 DMR from our sister company because they weren't using it at the time and I had a gear NCO that actually did his job. This was a Winchester M14 with the FA selector removed and plugged. It sported a Kreiger mid-weight match grade barrel and a Leupold Mk4 M3 10x40mm scope. This scope adjusted in MOA despite its mil-reticle however the turrets were built with the M118LR ammo in mind and I simply dialed in a yardage with the elevation turret. It's not incredibly precise, but it worked well enough. The rifle only came with 2 magazines, but I was able to come up with 3 more. I typically only carried 4 though, and loaned the other mag out to another M14 carrier who only had two. I would later incorporate this rifle into my unit insignia and get it tattooed on me. Unfortunately by the time I got back in Afghanistan for my second tour they had sent all the M14's to the urban sniper school stateside, which is why I carried the M110 later on.

USMC_DMR_Afghanistan_v2.jpg

I think the 4 main issues with the DMR by the end of the 200Xs were as follows:

1. Stock lacked attachment options for night vision optics and side rails for lights and laser designators - which was required by 2010.
2. Stock was bedded and was not to be removed by user - only USMC precision armorers - which created logistical issues re maintenance.
3. M14s are notoriously difficult to suppress due to gas port-actuated actions (gas-impingement is much easier/simpler to suppress)
4. Lack of spare parts - last USGI M14 receiver was made in 1964. USGI bolts and misc other M14 parts have not been made in decades.

The DMR replacement was the M39, which had a SAGE chassis and solved issues number # 1 and # 2 - but not the other 2 issues listed above...

1200px-USMC-M39.jpg

...which is why I think the USMC quickly adopted the M110 rifle to replace the M14-based DMRs and M39s (as did SOCOM and the US Army as well in the 200Xs). Regarding issue #3- sound suppressor capability - the Mk 11/M110 rifles came with an integrated KAC suppressor and worked fine with it, unlike the M14 type platform which requires modifications:

sass-l_1.jpg

....but I still like my DMR, as those 4 issues I listed applied while in combat service - but don't really apply to a civilian replica M1A....

Last edited:
I think the Marines that used the DMR liked them overall. A lot of effort went into building them by PWS precision armorers, and they were accurate, but it was a very labor intensive build (i.e., welding on a rear lug, bedding the action, knurling the barrel at op rod guide and gas cylinder mating surface, fitting the gas cylinder to the barrel, etc). FWIW, DMRs were tested at 300 yards with 5-rds of M118, and each rife needed to have the group stay within a 3"x3" square, or 1 MOA. Anyhow, I found this post of a Marine who used one in Afghanistan, and he ultimately had it tatooed on himself, so I guess that is a pretty strong endorsement....

View attachment 7211381

1. Stock lacked attachment options for night vision optics and side rails for lights and laser designators - which was required by 2010.
2. Stock was bedded and was not to be removed by user - only USMC precision armorers - which created logistical issues re maintenance.
3. M14s are notoriously difficult to suppress due to gas port actuated actions (gas-impingement is much easier/simpler to suppress)
4. Lack of spare parts - last USGU M14 receiver was made in 1964. USGI bolts and misc other M14 parts have not been made in decades.

The DMR replacement was the M39, which had a SAGE chassis and solved issues numbers 1 # 2, but not the other 2 items...

View attachment 7211387

,...which is why I think the USMC quickly adopted the M110 rifle to replace the M14-based DMRs and M39s (as did SOCOM and the US Army as well in the 200Xs), and the Mk 11/M110 rifles came with an integrated KAC suppressor and worked fine with it, unlike the M14 type platform which requires modifications:

View attachment 7211391

....but I still like my DMR as those 4 issues while in combat service - don't really apply to a civilian replica M1A....
That's an excellent analogy regarding the good/bad of the M14 precision platform.

Now that you have several of the nicest examples of M14 sniper clones I have seen, I am curious if one will eventually become a clear favorite and why... Figure this could take some time, but I would bet one will rise to the top.

Well, I still have a few more to build, so the jury is still out re a 'favorite' M14 sniper replica. That said, my favorite M1A to take to the range is still my SAI M21 Long Range Tactical Match w/ the optional Krieger heavy profile SS barrel. This was a gift from my wife, and it was the first M1A rifle that I got over 10 years ago. So it has some sentimental value, and its also a tack driver, so its still my favorite M1A.

IMG_2544.jpg

...but as far as replica M14 snipers go, my XM25 is my current favorite - due to its unique history and how much time, effort, and $ I spent on it...

Last edited:
Any recommendations on a builder for a DMR. GAP has former 2112’s in shop but if there is a better place please advise. Jeff

Finally got to try my USMC M14 DMR replica at distance this weekend: used it at 300 and 600 yards at a Quantico Shooting Club vintage precision rifle match.
We were using targets with 3" X-rings, so 1 MOA at 300 and 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. The 10-ring is 6", and thus required 1-MOA accuracy to hit it consistently at 600 yards. I had only used my DMR replica twice this summer at 100 and 200 yards prior to this event, but it did pretty good, all things considered.

I was able to shoot a 149-5x at 300 yards (dropped only 1 point). At 600 yards I dropped 15 points, and shot a 135-0x. I hit the 7 ring on first shot - opps, but 6 of the 15 shots for score were in the 10-ring, with 4 shots each landing in the 8 and 9-ring. Overall I was happy that almost half my shots hit the 1 MOA 10-ring at 600 yds - given the platform. So, I think my M14 DMR replica is likely a ~1.25 MOA rifle with 10-rd groups using handloads that it likes.

My shooting partner used his M40A3 and M40A5 replicas to good effect at 300 and 600 yards. He shot a 150-8x at 300 and a 144-5X at 600 yards. Of course his M40A3/A5 are solid 0.5" MOA rifles... (I had to leave the match early on Sunday and didn't have time to shoot the 800 yard part of the match in the afternoon).

Weather was good with no wind issues, and it was fun. I'm glad they held this match this month - as its the only one I attended this year. Just an fyi update this M1A replica project that was finished last winter, and some pics my buddy and I took this past weekend.

Attachments

• DMR_600_yard_berm2_092020.jpg
    DMR_600_yard_berm2_092020.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Quantico_300_yrd_target_092020.jpg
    Quantico_300_yrd_target_092020.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DMR_at_600_yard_berm_092020_2.jpg
    DMR_at_600_yard_berm_092020_2.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 186
  • J_M40A3_300_yards_092020.jpg
    J_M40A3_300_yards_092020.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 166
  • J_M40A5_w_suppressor_092020.jpg
    J_M40A5_w_suppressor_092020.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I had planned on going to one of vintage matches this month but life happens and my M40 clone will have to wait another year.
That's some good shooting you did. Your report may inspire me to build one or have it built for me.
I'm just afraid I'll end up liking it better than my M40. :oops::oops:

Finally got to try my USMC M14 DMR replica at distance this weekend: used it at 300 and 600 yards at a Quantico Shooting Club vintage precision rifle match.
We were using targets with 3" X-rings, so 1 MOA at 300 and 1/2 MOA at 600 yards. The 10-ring is 6", and thus required 1-MOA accuracy to hit it consistently at 600 yards. I had only used my DMR replica twice this summer at 100 and 200 yards prior to this event, but it did pretty good, all things considered.

I was able to shoot a 149-5x at 300 yards (dropped only 1 point). At 600 yard I dropped several though, and shot a 135-0x. (I hit the 7 ring on first shot -opps, but 6 of the 15 subsequent shots were in the 10-ring, with the remainder in the 8 and 9-ring. Overall I was happy that almost half my shots hit the 1 MOA 10-ring at 600. So, I think my M14 DMR replica is likely a 1.25 MOA rifle with 10-rd groups using handloads that it likes.

My shooting partner used his M40A3 and M40A5 replicas to good effect at 300 and 600 yards. (I had to leave the match early on Sunday and didn't have time to shot the 800 yard part of the match in the afternoon). He shot a 150-8x and 300 and a 144-5X at 600 yards. (Of course his M40A3/A5 are 0.5" MOA rifles...).

Weather was good with no wind, and it was fun. I'm glad they held this match this month - as its the only one I attended this year. Just an fyi update this M1A replica project that was finished last winter, and some pics my buddy and I took that past weekend.
Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Random Guy
I think the Marines that used the DMR liked them overall. A lot of effort went into building them by PWS precision armorers, and they were accurate, but it was a very labor intensive build (i.e., welding on a rear lug, bedding the action, knurling the barrel at op rod guide and gas cylinder mating surface, fitting the gas cylinder to the barrel, etc). FWIW, DMRs were tested at 300 yards with 5-rds of M118LR, and each rife needed to have the group stay within a 3"x3" square, or 1 MOA. Anyhow, I found this post of a Marine who used one in Afghanistan, and he ultimately had it tatooed on himself, so I guess that is a pretty strong endorsement....

View attachment 7211381

3. M14s are notoriously difficult to suppress due to gas port actuated actions (gas-impingement is much easier/simpler to suppress)
4. Lack of spare parts - last USGI M14 receiver was made in 1964. USGI bolts and misc other M14 parts have not been made in decades.

The DMR replacement was the M39, which had a SAGE chassis and solved issues number # 1 and # 2 - but not the other 2 issues listed above...

View attachment 7211387

...which is why I think the USMC quickly adopted the M110 rifle to replace the M14-based DMRs and M39s (as did SOCOM and the US Army as well in the 200Xs). Regarding issue #3- sound suppressor capability - the Mk 11/M110 rifles came with an integrated KAC suppressor and worked fine with it, unlike the M14 type platform which requires modifications:

View attachment 7211391

....but I still like my DMR, as those 4 issues I listed applied while in combat service - but don't really apply to a civilian replica M1A....
I will always have a soft spot for the M39 though.

I was able to shoot a 149-5x at 300 yards (dropped only 1 point). At 600 yard I dropped several though, and shot a 135-0x. I hit the 7 ring on first shot -opps, but 6 of the 15 shots for score were in the 10-ring, with the remainder in the 8 and 9-ring. Overall I was happy that almost half my shots hit the 1 MOA 10-ring at 600. So, I think my M14 DMR replica is likely a 1.25 MOA rifle with 10-rd groups using handloads that it likes.

My shooting partner used his M40A3 and M40A5 replicas to good effect at 300 and 600 yards. (I had to leave the match early on Sunday and didn't have time to shoot the 800 yard part of the match in the afternoon). He shot a 150-8x at 300 and a 144-5X at 600 yards. (Of course his M40A3/A5 are 0.5" MOA rifles...).

Weather was good with no wind issues, and it was fun. I'm glad they held this match this month - as its the only one I attended this year. Just an fyi update this M1A replica project that was finished last winter, and some pics my buddy and I took this past weekend.

Very nicely done.

I miss shooting the QSC Vintage Matches. My shooting partner and I ran our SVDs there in 2016-2018, but life has gotten in the way with a 2yo.

Hoping to get back there in the next few years, VA firearms law changes not withstanding.....

I miss shooting the QSC Vintage Matches. My shooting partner and I ran our SVDs there in 2016-2018, but life has gotten in the way with a 2yo.

Good luck with the little one. I shot my M40 replica with a guy in April 2015 who owned a real Russian SVD. Attached is a pic from the 800 yard berm.
Its a fun match for anyone who has the proper platform and can make the logistics work...

What do yall think are the best M14 actions: LRB vs Bula vs Smith vs SAI ?

They are all good. Its up to an experienced M1A builder to put it together carefully and correctly.

Attachments

• SVD_800_yds_2015.JPG
    SVD_800_yds_2015.JPG
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Good luck with the little one. I shot my M40 replica with a guy in April 2015 who owned a real Russian SVD. Attached is a pic from the 800 yard berm.
Its a fun match for anyone who has the proper platform and can make the logistics work...

They are all good. Its up to an experienced M1A builder to put it together carefully and correctly.

Uh, so not to make it weird, but that’s me in your pic, haha. Guess I had my years off when thinking Reid and I shot those matches.

Digging up memories, I think Reid, my normal vintage sniper teammate, had to duck out on a Sunday and we got linked up as singletons. You had a brand new Chuck M. bolt gun, no?

Either way, small world, haha.

ETA: just reviewed my notes and it was 2014-2016 when we shot there. Sumbitch, I’m getting old and Reid and I haven’t graced the VS matches with our crude Ruskie DMRs in far too many years. Fuggin’ wives and kids...

Last edited:
I figured that might have been you, as real Russian SVDs are very scare in the US.

I recall I shot with you on Sunday with my then brand-new Chuck Mawhinney M40 replica (April 2015). The previous day, Saturday, I was not able to attend due to family commitments. I think you said your shooting buddy’s SVD had a bad round/case failure on Saturday that “blew off his top cover,” or something to that effect. That prevented him from competing on Sunday, and I also remember wondering if it would be hard to find a replacement part for a real Russian SVD...

I recall looking through your 4x SVD scope reticle and remembering that I was impressed with your scores at 800 yards with that rifle. Anyhow, hope you can attend a match in 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
I figured that might have been you, as real Russian SVDs are very scare in the US.

I recall I shot with you on Sunday with my then new Chuck Mawhinney M40 replica (April 2015). The previous day, Saturday, I was not able to attend due to family commitments. I think you said your shooting buddy’s SVD had a bad round/case failure on Saturday, and “blew off his top cover,” or something to that effect. That prevented him from competing on Sunday, and I also remember wondering if it would be hard to find a replacement part for a real Russian SVD...

I recall looking through your 4x SVD scope reticle and remembering that I was impressed with your scores at 800 yards with that rifle. Anyhow, hope you can attend a match in 2021.

You are correct; Reid had a case failure on Saturday.

And thank you for the kind words. We didn't completely suck with those SVDs, but we knew we probably weren't gonna catch the guys using '03s or M40s.

Hoping to get back to it next year, but we'll see what life throws our way.

Enough derailing from me.

Great talking to you and a beautiful rifle in the OP.

Reactions: sandwarrior
You are correct; Reid had a case failure on Saturday.

And thank you for the kind words. We didn't completely suck with those SVDs, but we knew we probably weren't gonna catch the guys using '03s or M40s.

Hoping to get back to it next year, but we'll see what life throws our way.

Enough derailing from me.

Great talking to you and a beautiful rifle in the OP.
Whats your favorite load for the Dragunov?

Uh, so not to make it weird, but that’s me in your pic, haha. Guess I had my years off when thinking Reid and I shot those matches.

Digging up memories, I think Reid, my normal vintage sniper teammate, had to duck out on a Sunday and we got linked up as singletons. You had a brand new Chuck M. bolt gun, no?

Either way, small world, haha.

ETA: just reviewed my notes and it was 2014-2016 when we shot there. Sumbitch, I’m getting old and Reid and I haven’t graced the VS matches with our crude Ruskie DMRs in far too many years. Fuggin’ wives and kids...

I mentioned something a few years ago on this forum regarding SVDs that might be of interest to you and your fellow SVD shooter. In 1967 we were briefed by Langley regarding the bounty/reward program and the SVD Dragunov was included. You guys probably keep track of this stuff but one went through Morphys in 2008 for a little over $8K. Another one went through RIA in 2019 with capture papers from Vietnam which misidentify the rifle and are dated 1974. I always thought that the Major knew exactly what he had and was afraid he would be relieved of it at DEROS. https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-ishevsk-svd-dragunov-sniper-rifle-with-scope

By 1974 the Phoenix Program was pretty visible. The association with Phoenix may have been part of the reason for the huge price.

I mentioned something a few years ago on this forum regarding SVDs that might be of interest to you and your fellow SVD shooter. In 1967 we were briefed by Langley regarding the bounty/reward program and the SVD Dragunov was included. You guys probably keep track of this stuff but one went through Morphys in 2008 for a little over $8K. Another one went through RIA in 2019 with capture papers from Vietnam which misidentify the rifle and are dated 1974. I always thought that the Major knew exactly what he had and was afraid he would be relieved of it at DEROS. https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...-ishevsk-svd-dragunov-sniper-rifle-with-scope

By 1974 the Phoenix Program was pretty visible. The association with Phoenix may have been part of the reason for the huge price.
Holy Crap!!!!! $57,500! That is a LOT of cash for a rifle that didn't win that war.

Holy Crap!!!!! $57,500! That is a LOT of cash for a rifle that didn't win that war.
Shame it doesn’t have the story of how he captured it!
How awesome would it be if the major had a Hathcock-like sniper duel with a NVA soldier and grabbed the SVD afterwards..

The picture of the SVD in post #24 was one of the last 100 rifles imported before the 1994 agreement with Russia to no longer export them to the US, and I was surprised when the owner explained its rarity. A very few Russian SVDs may have been imported in the 1980s prior to 1989, but that is a guess. It is far more common to see the Chinese Norinco NDM-86 SVDs rifles or a cheap Romanian PSL rifle incorrectly called a 'Draganov' (the PSL has the same long stroke piston as an AK-47, whereas the Russian SVD has a unique short stroke piston and none the parts are interchangable). Despite uniformed people calling any long barreled AK-47 in 7.62R a 'Draganov,' real Russian SVDs are very scare in the US and it is unlikely they will ever be imported here again.

The 1972-dated SVD in Rock Island auction was the only one I have ever heard of that actually had capture papers, so the provenance of that rifle is truly unique. The price paid was certainly high, but again, its a very rare rifle in the USA and the unique provenance made it likely a one-of-kind 'battle field pick-up' kind of rifle for an advanced/weathy collector. Purchasing a real Russian SVD in various parts of the world is feasible, but here in the USA - that particular firearm has been verboten for 26 years...and they bring big money when they do come up for sale.

FYI: The Chinese NDM-86 (copy of the Russian Draganov) used in the movie, American Sniper, could not be sent out of the USA for filming scenes in Morocco, as it is banned from being re-imported - so the scenes with the enemy sniper, 'Mustafa' using that NDM-86 rifle were filmed in the USA. The film's early scenes with Mustafa were filmed in Morocco and he used a Romanian PSL/FPK - which is not the same design as the Draganov, and that Romanian rifle can be re-imported into the USA. Just a random factioid re the verboten nature of a real SVD rifle - as apparently not even a big budget Hollywood film can ship a Chinese SVD back into the USA.

For the record, between the USMC DMR replica as seen in this thread, versus a real SVD, I would still prefer the M1A/M14 DMR for accuracy results, and the SVD for its collector value and mystique.

Last edited:
The picture of the SVD in post #24 was one of the last 100 rifles imported before the 1994 agreement not to export them to the US, and I was surprised when the owner explained its rarity. A very few Russian SVDs may have been imported in the 1980s prior to 1989, but that is a guess. It is far more common to see the Chinese Norinco SVDs rifles or a cheap Romanian PSL rifle incorrectly called a "Draganov' - but real Russian SVDs are very scare in the US and it is unlikely they will ever be imported here again. The 1972-dated SVD in Rock Island auction was the only one I have ever heard of that actually had capture papers, so the provenance of that rifle is truly unique. The price paid was high, but again, its a very rare rifle in the USA and the unique provenance made it likely a one-of-kind rifle for an advanced collector... Purchasing a real Russian SVD in various parts of the world is likely doable, but in the USA that particular firearm has been verboten for 26 years...

FYI: The Chinese NM-86 Draganov used in the movie, American Sniper, could not be sent out of the USA for filing scenes in Morocco, as it banned form being re-imported, so the film scenes with the enemy sniper, 'Mustafa' using that rifle were filmed in the USA. The early scenes with Mustafa were filmed in Morocco and he used a Romanian PSL/FPK - which is not the same design as the Draganov, and that rifle can be re-imported into the USA. Just an fun factioid.

That is correct. Either 100 or 101 Russian SVDs were imported by KBI.

I paid 16k for mine in 2013, but it came with a ton of mags, spare parts, and other accessories, so that price can’t really be used as a baseline for just the rifle and matching 4x optic.

It was a post-deployment gift to myself and I really do miss shooting it regularly.

Resurrecting's this thread with a couple of questions for anyone with solid knowledge re USMC M14 DMR deployment kit (esp tools).
Long story short, last week I spotted some DRMO cases on eBay that were from the USMC DMR program, so I snagged one for my DMR replica.
I have most of the correct accessories/kit for this rifle, but their are two cut-outs in the foam that the PWS guys did back in the day, and I wasn't sure what fit in one or two of the slots. So here are my is questions:

1. Does anyone know if the DMR was shipped with the old M14 combo tool as seen in pics #2 & #5? - Or does a Snap On wrench go in that 3rd slot?
2. The far right side of case above muzzle has a distinct "L" shaped cut-out (see 4th pic) (UPDATE: I have learned it was for in-house USMC/PWS tool used to clean the gas piston, with both a small and large drill bit type of tool on each end. Anybody have a spare "L" shaped gas piston cleaning tool?

I wish I could find an original Operator's Manual for this project, but never could locate one. So this project is almost complete with the old Pelican 1750.

Attachments

• DMR_case_exterior.jpg
    DMR_case_exterior.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DMR_case_interior.jpg
    DMR_case_interior.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 257
  • DMR_case_marking.jpg
    DMR_case_marking.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DMR_case_interior_3.jpg
    DMR_case_interior_3.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DMR_case_interior_2.jpg
    DMR_case_interior_2.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
He said he was issued a scoped M14, an M21. He said it had a wood stock but it was changed to a fiberglass stock after a short time as the stock swelled from the rain and constant moisture and it affected it's accuracy.
He said the new one shot great, very accurate.
M21s sent to Vietnam had an epoxy-impregnated wood stock -- but that didn't prevent water from eventually getting between bedding and receiver.

The M21 I had at the USAMU's sniper school in 1982 had a McMillan. All shooting at the school was fired between 100 and 600-yards.

I always liked the look and ergos of the M15 (M14 pistol grip) stock, and McMillan's fix with a cheekpiece was probably even better.

A lot of the M21's good-bad-spotty reputation came from inconsistent servicing and upkeep. Although the USAMU did the best work (and had to un-gonk a lot of Rock Island's work) it couldn't keep up with the maintenance for the entire force (8 rifles per infantry battalion, both active and Guard) given the unit's primary competition and off-season training mission. Rock Island's sniper rifle maintenance was inconsistent, at best.

I can imagine Marine M40-family maintenance was also always busy, given the density of sniper rifle armorers at Quantico and Barstow.