• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Replica USMC Match M14 project completed

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
Not a sniper rifle, but an interesting ‘vintage’ build nonetheless. Just received my latest M1A project back from the builder and I don’t have a range report yet, but it’s kind-of a neat build for anyone interested in this old platform. The goal of this project was to build a close replica a USMC double-lugged, heavy-barrel, match M14 from the mid-1990s heyday. So again, this is not a sniper rifle, but the USMC applied some of the build characteristics used on the M14 DMR rifle that was subsequently developed in the late 1990s.

There is a lot of work that went into this replica match rifle, which included welding on front and rear lugs; properly threading the lugs for torque screws, and related bedding processes for a double-lugged rifle. (MarineTex is the bedding material). Many of the parts are from old USMC M14 match rifles that were decommissioned, such as the trigger group which had 3 sets of the last four digits stenciled on the side of the trigger group, indicating that this group was used on 3 different match rifles over time. It still has a match sticker on the trigger guard from its safety inspection to ensure the trigger pull is not less than 4.5 lbs. Other USMC take-off parts are flash hider, front and rear match sights, modified op rod, TRW bolt, and the McMillan stock, etc.

Fwiw, this project started with just a 1995 Gene Barnett heavy profile match barrel that was made specifically for the USMC shooting team. The barrel was NOS/never chambered, and is marked “USMC REV 1”. I was told by a retired USMC 2112 that the “REV 1” barrels were unique in that they lacked a gas port hole for the gas cylinder, and the shoulder surface where the gas cylinder mates with the stock ferrule was pushed forward ~ 0.001”. This reportedly allowed the USMC precision armorers to pre-fit the gas cylinder and gas cylinder lock for ideal timing without the need to use shims between the gas cylinder and the barrel’s mating shoulder. Once the gas cylinder/gas cylinder lock was pre-fitted, the barrel was then marked for the gas port hole and subsequently drilled in the ideal location.

I should also note that most USMC match M14 barrels were typically 1:12 twist, and the other interesting thing about this “REV 1” barrel is that the twist rate is 1:10. I understand that some of these barrels might have been used for certain long-range/1000 yard events. Note: This build has a USMC take-off front sight that was filed back in the day to be very thin (0.031”) and very short, reportedly these modified sights were used on their 1000 yard M14s.

It took almost two years to collect all the parts, prep and weld the receiver for double lugs, and finish the build by having Accuracy Speaks in AZ professionally bed it in MarineTex. I do not have a range report yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to shoot this iron-sighted rifle to its full potential given my sub-optimal middle-age eyesight and overall skill level, but I do intend to enjoy it at the range from time to time. Weight with sling and an empty magazine is 13 lb 7 ozs. (I also have a USMC Weapon book filled out by the builder re specs, but it is being mailed back separately).

Just a random post for anyone interested in this replica of a vintage USMC M14 match rifle.

Attachments

• Welding_front_lug_95k_v2.JPG
    Welding_front_lug_95k_v2.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 234
  • 95k rear lug_right.JPG
    95k rear lug_right.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 95k barrel markings.JPG
    95k barrel markings.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 317
  • 95k_rt_side_finished_v2.JPG
    95k_rt_side_finished_v2.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 95k sight align_front.JPG
    95k sight align_front.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 95k sight align_rear.JPG
    95k sight align_rear.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 95k bolt lapped.JPG
    95k bolt lapped.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 20201106_111318.jpg
    20201106_111318.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 95k_front_lug_installed.jpg
    95k_front_lug_installed.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_7595.jpg
    IMG_7595.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_7596.jpg
    IMG_7596.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_7599.jpg
    IMG_7599.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 259
  • USMC_front_sight.jpg
    USMC_front_sight.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 231
  • USMC_replica_left_recevier_side.jpg
    USMC_replica_left_recevier_side.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 258
  • USMC_replica_lt_side1.jpg
    USMC_replica_lt_side1.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Not a sniper rifle, but an interesting build nonetheless. Just received my latest M1A project back from the builder and I don’t have a range report yet, but it’s kind-of a neat build for anyone interested in this old platform. The goal of this project was to build a close replica a USMC double-lugged, heavy-barrel, match M14 from the mid-1990s. So again, this is not a sniper rifle, but the USMC applied some of the build characteristics used on the M14 DMR rifle that was subsequently developed in the late 1990s.

There is a lot of work that went into this replica match rifle, which included welding on front and rear lugs; properly threading the lugs for torque screws, and related bedding processes for a double-lugged rifle. (MarineTex is the bedding material). Many of the parts are from old USMC M14 match rifles that were decommissioned, such as the trigger group which had 3 sets of the last four digits stenciled on the side of the trigger group, indicating that this group was used on 3 different match rifles over time. It still has a match sticker on the trigger guard from its safety inspection to ensure the trigger pull is not less than 4.5 lbs. Other USMC take-off parts are flash hider, front and rear match sights, modified op rod, TRW bolt, and the McMillan stock, etc.

Fwiw, this project started with just a 1995 Gene Barnett heavy profile match barrel that was made specifically for the USMC shooting team. The barrel was NOS/newer chambered, and is marked “USMC REV 1”. I was told by an old USMC 2112 that the “REV 1” barrels were unique in that they lacked a gas port hole for the gas cylinder, and the shoulder surface where the gas cylinder mates with the stock ferrule was pushed forward ~ 0.001”. This reportedly allowed the USMC precision armorers to pre-fit the gas cylinder and gas cylinder lock for ideal timing without the need to use shims between the gas cylinder and the barrel’s mating shoulder. Once the gas cylinder/gas cylinder lock was pre-fitted, the barrel was then marked for the gas port hole and subsequently drilled in the ideal location.

I should also note that most USMC match M14 barrels were typically 1:12 twist, and the other interesting thing about this “REV 1” barrel is that the twist rate is 1:10, and they might have been used for certain long-range/1000 yard events. Note: This build has a USMC take-off front sight that was filed back in the day to be very thin (0.031”) and very short, reportedly these modified sights were used on their 1000 yard M14s.

It took almost two years to collect all the parts, prep and weld the receiver for double lugs, and finish the build by having Accuracy Speaks in AZ professionally bed it in MarineTex. I do not have a range report yet, and unfortunately I will not be able to shoot this iron-sighted rifle to its full potential given my sub-optimal middle-age eyesight and overall skill level, but I do intend to enjoy it at the range from time to time. Weight with sling and an empty magazine is 13 lb 7 ozs. (I also have a USMC Weapon book filled out by the builder re specs, but it is being mailed back separately).

Just a random post for anyone interested in this replica build.
Very nice piece!! The details and the pictures on the build are very interesting and like a few others, standing by for the range report!!!!

What material did the builder use to glue the handguard down?

I believe its white 'Hysol,' which was used by the USMC back in the day at the front of the handguard and under the handguard clip.
Attached are pics of 5 real USMC match M14s, which was the inspiration for my build. One can see in pics #2 and #3 the old off-white Hysol.

Nice, who built that receiver?

It's a Springfield Armory Inc, 95k serial range, which is 1996 era. Fwiw, below are the parts used for this replica (Starting at front of rifle).

• USGI flash hider reamed to NM specs
• USGI NM front sight - modified by the USMC to be very short and very thin for 1000 yard event. (It's about 0.031" wide and half the height of a normal NM sight)
• NM/Unitized gas cylinder (welded internally)
• Barrel – Vintage Barnett heavy weight ‘USMC REV 1’ match barrel w/ June, 1995 date (NOS), 1/10 twist (Headspace set at 1.631")
• USGI gas piston (lightly polished)
• NM spring guide (USGI style fabricated two piece drill rod, finish is left in the white)
• Recoil spring – New silicon spring
• USGI handguard (Note: handguard clip and front of handguard at stock ferrule was bedded with Hysol, which is the offwhite substance seen, as done on the original USMC match rifles)
• USGI (TRW) bolt w/ USGI internals (Bolt inscribed with serial # of original USMC match M14)
• USGI (SA) op-rod (modified by USMC with clearance cut for double-lugged receiver. Tab rebuilt)
• USGI trigger group with USGI parts – (match trigger job, with 3 serial #s stenciled on side)
• Springfield Armory Inc. receiver (95k serial block, with front and rear lugs welded on)
• Rear sight – USGI ‘NM’ base w/ ‘M’ pinion & hooded NM rear aperture (aperture is polished on the top side wear it rubs the sight cover)
• McMillian M1A fiberglass match stock with forest camo pattern. Likely early to mid-1990s era based on camouflage pattern. (Old rack sticker “24” was found on rear buttplate).
• USGI M14 selector lock w/ related faux parts (Note the selector lock has been welded-up like they did on the real NM M14s)
• Sling – USGI 1907 (MRT date is May 1995)

(Also have a USMC Weapon book filled out by the builder re specs, but it is being mailed back separately).

I hope to have a range trip within the next month before it gets cold, so we'll see.... (Builder shot 20 rds for function testing, supposedly shot well)

Attachments

• USMC_match_M14s_2.jpg
    USMC_match_M14s_2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 152
  • USMC_match_M14_RTE_barel_markings.jpg
    USMC_match_M14_RTE_barel_markings.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 156
  • USMC_match_M14_glued_ferrule&HG.jpg
    USMC_match_M14_glued_ferrule&HG.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 191
  • USMC_match_M14_front_lug.jpg
    USMC_match_M14_front_lug.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 132
  • USMC_match_M14s_1_angle.jpg
    USMC_match_M14s_1_angle.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Nice to see someone interested in the history of USMC marksmanship. great choice of gunsmith. try some M852 or equivalent handload.

That barrel sounds like it was for the Critchfield 1000 yard guns. modified chamber to better support the base of the case using the ultra hot G4 ammo. keeping a 168SMK supersonic out to 1k was beyond the ragged edge, but that's what it took to compete and win.

Nice to see someone interested in the history of USMC marksmanship. great choice of gunsmith. try some M852 or equivalent handload.

That barrel sounds like it was for the Critchfield 1000 yard guns. modified chamber to better support the base of the case using the ultra hot G4 ammo. keeping a 168SMK supersonic out to 1k was beyond the ragged edge, but that's what it took to compete and win

Thanks. I was not a Marine, but I like the old M14/M1A platform and respect what the USMC did to make them competitive in their heyday from the 1980s to mid-1990s, so when I was finally able to acquire this barrel, I figured I needed to build an accurate tribute/replica rifle around it.

You might be right about the 1000 yard event and this somewhat unusual 1/10 twist barrel. I am pretty sure my modified front sight was for that event, per a guy who was on the USMC shooting team back in the day. (See attached pic for a comparison). My M852 'duplicate' load is 42.5 grains of I-4064 with a 168gr SMK in LC brass with a CCI #34 primer. Its about as close to M852 as I can make it, ~ 2658 fps out an 24" M24 barrel with single digit SD in 5-rd testing. (Note: chamber reamer used was a Manson M852 Match reamer).

I will certainly not be attempting to duplicate the famous/infamous super hot "G4" load as that was really hard on the barrels/op rods/shooters, and I think the gas cylinder or gas piston was modified a little bit too. The 1995 Barnett barrel is not replaceable, so only moderate velocity/pressure ammo will be used in this rifle. Anyhow, I hope to do a range test before it gets too cold this winter....

ON EDIT: Added a picture I found of a Marine shooting an M1A/M14 at likely 1000 yards given the extreme position of the rear aperture's elevation, which is at the top of its adjustment range.

Attachments

• standard-vs-long-range_M14_ft_sight.jpg
    standard-vs-long-range_M14_ft_sight.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 124
  • USMC_M14_long_range.PNG
    USMC_M14_long_range.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: M1A1Abrams