• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Reputable" Local Gun Shop

Runnineh

Take a look to the sky just before you die
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2018
Behind enemy lines
Due to work, I haven't been able to explore what my new area offers for gun shops. I'm finally taking a little leave and riding around and stop at a local gun shop that I've been told is a great place. I'm looking for rings for a scope I just picked up and figure to give the local shops some business. I go in and ask if they have any 34mm rings. The first person I get looks at me for a few seconds, then goes to the wall, then turns and says I dont know much about rings, let me get the gunsmith. First flag. The Smith comes out and asks what I'm looking for and I said 34mm rings, low or medium height will do. He looks at me for a few seconds with a quizzical look, turns to look at his boad, then scratching his chin says that must be a special size, I've never heard of it. We might be able to special something like that. Second flag. While he's looking up the "specialty" item, these other employees are talking about owning machine guns, which turn out to be run of the mill ar's. Didn't give the guy a chance to come back to see about the rings.

Just thought I'd share that little anecdote. It's amazing what you forget about having to deal with when your gone for awhile.

Local Gun Shop in what city? Why would a local gun store stock something that the local fudd would never buy? I bet you the store has a large variety of Simmons, Tasco and maybe a Leupold Scopes and not a single one in 30 mm. Caldwell shooting equipment and some Mike's holsters.
I bet you could make a killing if you opened up your own shop and sell $600 bipods $3K rifles and the other nice stuff.
I bet that the owner makes a decent dime supplying to his customer base.
You should pinch your nose the next time it rains.

LGS around here carry stuff the everyday fool will buy. Granted, they might have some higher end stuff, but unlikely. It's a business that keeps the doors open by people that purchase stuff, mostly cheap stuff that wouldn't even be an option for a lot of the folks on SH.

I would prefer to do business with a local brick-n-mortar, but if they don't carry what I want, I go elsewhere...usually online. Support the businesses that have what you're looking for, let the other ones fail.

Reactions: Kwp and 308pirate
I went looking for something at the local shop that I was pretty sure they wouldn't have. But in the chance that they might. He didn't have it but looked it up on his computer and I said order it. I'll pay a couple dollars more to help keep their doors open. It also gets me a few little extras. I went in a couple weeks ago and asked for 10mm ammo. Guy behind the counter said that they didn't have any. Owner looked up and said wait a minute and then asked how many boxes I needed. I walked out with four boxes and at a great price.
LGS around here carry stuff the everyday fool will buy. Granted, they might have some higher end stuff, but unlikely. It's a business that keeps the doors open by people that purchase stuff, mostly cheap stuff that wouldn't even be an option for a lot of the folks on SH.

I would prefer to do business with a local brick-n-mortar, but if they don't carry what I want, I go elsewhere...usually online. Support the businesses that have what you're looking for, let the other ones fail.

My local gunshop caters to the cheap... less expensive types, but will happily order what you need. I will pay a little more over what I can order online, generally, because they have been very good to me over the years.

I've bought a lot of stuff through the LGS, but we also have a very understanding view on things. If they can't match the price + FFL on something I want; I buy online, and they get the transfer fee only. I would rather pay the LGS the asking price, but I'm not going to pay extra just for that.

That and stupid high transfer fees are why I don't shop at my local gun shops. If I want a gun I buy it online and have it transferred to a home based FFL (former Green Beret dude) I was turned onto a few years ago. Him and his wife transfer everything I buy including NFA. It makes my life a lot easier.

Whoa there gunny, didn't mean to interrupt your crayon eating time. I guess I could have made it more of a point that their reactions to my inquiry were what stood out, not that they didn't have the top tier ultra elite products I was looking for. Shoot me your address, I'll send some watercolor paints to wash down your rainbow box. 😉

Both my LGS have everything out on the floor. I prefer that, I know what I’m looking for. I do prefer to buy local but some items have to be bought online. There’s a pawn shop that does all my transfers, she has a load of AR parts, at high prices. I’ve gladly paid more to keep a project going.

I don't have a local anything.
RanchSunset.jpg

My LGS has 1", 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, and 36mm.

They also have Mark 5's, nx8's, tango 6's, razors, etc.

My Dad works the counter as a retirement job. He has no bills, gets all his hunting/fishing/gun stuff at cost, and sometimes brings home part of a paycheck to help with gas money.

It's funny as hell watching people walk in the door and ask for him, and immediately leaving if he isn't there. The owner gets pissy when people look right at him and tell him he doesn't know enough to help them.

Ohh I am sorry. I guess you expect the clerk in the electrical section of Lowe's to understand 480 three phrases effects on electric motors?
Whoa there gunny, didn't mean to interrupt your crayon eating time. I guess I could have made it more of a point that their reactions to my inquiry were what stood out, not that they didn't have the top tier ultra elite products I was looking for. Shoot me your address, I'll send some watercolor paints to wash down your rainbow box. 😉
I will wager that the so called "gun smith" can barely field strip an AR and the guy at the counter is barely making enough over unemployment/disability/welfare and that's why he's working there.
Just saying that your expectations don't match reality of today's low wage employees. This is the new normal. Look at the responses of "I buy online" in this thread. Brick and mortar have a shit ton of overhead compared to online. Wages are the easiest cost cutters.

Reactions: riflegreen297
Ohh I am sorry. I guess you expect the clerk in the electrical section of Lowe's to understand 480 three phrases effects on electric motors?

I will wager that the so called "gun smith" can barely field strip an AR and the guy at the counter is barely making enough over unemployment/disability/welfare and that's why he's working there.
Just saying that your expectations don't match reality of today's low wage employees. This is the new normal. Look at the responses of "I buy online" in this thread. Brick and mortar have a shit ton of overhead compared to online. Wages are the easiest cost cutters.
The problem is most brick and mortar stores don't carry anything decent, most is cheap bs stuff. If I have them order it I'll pay more and wait longer so I may as well go to someone like milehighs website and support someone who's gives a shit.

My LGS has 1", 30mm, 34mm, 35mm, and 36mm.

They also have Mark 5's, nx8's, tango 6's, razors, etc.

My Dad works the counter as a retirement job. He has no bills, gets all his hunting/fishing/gun stuff at cost, and sometimes brings home part of a paycheck to help with gas money.

It's funny as hell watching people walk in the door and ask for him, and immediately leaving if he isn't there. The owner gets pissy when people look right at him and tell him he doesn't know enough to help them.
That’s my plan!

My closest shop was best described as “having the feel of a 1989 radio shack that somehow time forgot about and was still open in 2022.”

I could complain about a lot there, but the operator-wannabes behind the counter are the main reason I stopped going there.

The problem with the lgs is that we all seem to be in a race to the fucking bottom, me and my wife run a store and a little manufacturing and custom shop, if all the little stores in the whole country could come together and charge 500 for a transfer, we could shut down the online only dealers overnight, but we won’t, and we’re just as guilty as the next guy.

There’s not that much of a margin in guns to live on, the money is in accessories, and most stores would rather sell 10 ruger Americans a week, than 1 AI every 6 months, you gotta know your customer base, and as far as ordering from giant retailers to save 50 bucks, that’s what makes this country great, freedom, but also remember, when all your lgs’s have to shut the doors because of the 20 transfers, that box of 10mm or 22lr won’t be under the counter because of your loyalty, bass pro could give two fucks if you’ve got a box of ammo so you can take your daughter shooting, and they goddamn sure don’t care if your kids school has enough shells and guns for trap season. Not a rant, just some food for thought.

The problem with the lgs is that we all seem to be in a race to the fucking bottom, me and my wife run a store and a little manufacturing and custom shop, if all the little stores in the whole country could come together and charge 500 for a transfer, we could shut down the online only dealers overnight, but we won’t, and we’re just as guilty as the next guy.

There’s not that much of a margin in guns to live on, the money is in accessories, and most stores would rather sell 10 ruger Americans a week, than 1 AI every 6 months, you gotta know your customer base, and as far as ordering from giant retailers to save 50 bucks, that’s what makes this country great, freedom, but also remember, when all your lgs’s have to shut the doors because of the 20 transfers, that box of 10mm or 22lr won’t be under the counter because of your loyalty, bass pro could give two fucks if you’ve got a box of ammo so you can take your daughter shooting, and they goddamn sure don’t care if your kids school has enough shells and guns for trap season. Not a rant, just some food for thought.
Yep. And how many people will go into their LGS and finger-fuck shit FOR DAYS, wasting countless hours of salespersons days, then, go Google the low price on xxx.com. i figure LGS can't afford to stock much real "high end" product because so many entitled "high end users" then undercut them on the backside?

My general rule is if I qualify myself for a product, I'll tell LGS what I want as well as what the common market seems to sell it for. If they want to sell it to me at a similar price, so be it.

HOWEVER, if I go into LGS, and they qualify me on a product they have in stock to examine ( "hey consider this xxx...") i will be very, very hesitant to try to undercut their price via Google-foo.
If you think you deserve KAC at DPMS pricing but are pissed that there's none, well, you're part of the problem when there's no KAC at your LGS.

If I own the LGS in that environment, I'd have an inventory of Glock, RRA, Bergara, and Condor. Want Crye? Order it. Caveat Emptor...

P.S. if this is you, please see @TheGerman's commentary on you.

I don't think LGSs have to be like this. I'm lucky to have Mike High as my LGS. They are awesome. Carry all the stuff I like and the folks there are extremely knowledgeable!

Reactions: kthomas
I've been looking for FFP mrad scopes for a few of my unfurnished rifles.

Went to one mob and asked to see their FFP scopes. They brought up a whole bunch of scopes and started reading what sounds like brochure marketing buzz words. All were SFP. When educated about the difference between FFP and SFP, I got the, "ooooooo, you mean the...". I forgot what they said but it's clear they didn't know shit.

Then I went to another store and they brought out a range of MOA and MRAD scopes. Turns out, they took them out of the boxes for the glass case and they've mismatched the scopes and boxes. Didn't have any luck picking up a Razor for Strike Eagle price.

Makes me want to open an LGS. Seems easy.

Yep. And how many people will go into their LGS and finger-fuck shit FOR DAYS, wasting countless hours of salespersons days, then, go Google the low price on xxx.com. i figure LGS can't afford to stock much real "high end" product because so many entitled "high end users" then undercut them on the backside?

My general rule is if I qualify myself for a product, I'll tell LGS what I want as well as what the common market seems to sell it for. If they want to sell it to me at a similar price, so be it.

HOWEVER, if I go into LGS, and they qualify me on a product they have in stock to examine ( "hey consider this xxx...") i will be very, very hesitant to try to undercut their price via Google-foo.
If you think you deserve KAC at DPMS pricing but are pissed that there's none, well, you're part of the problem when there's no KAC at your LGS.

If I own the LGS in that environment, I'd have an inventory of Glock, RRA, Bergara, and Condor. Want Crye? Order it. Caveat Emptor...

P.S. if this is you, please see @TheGerman's commentary on you.
You’re also under no obligation to pay inflated prices because the local guy wants to charge way over MSRP on something. If they want Crye and you could get it from your distributor why let them order it? tell them “I can have it here in a week” or whatever their timeframe is and make a profit.

I’ve heard LGS employees a shit ton of times tell people to just order stuff on their own that their Distributors carry because they aren’t guaranteed the commission when it comes in, or they are too lazy to click a mouse a few times so there’s no incentive to not just order it yourself instead of using fuel to be told to do it.

Reactions: 308pirate
I've been looking for FFP mrad scopes for a few of my unfurnished rifles.

Went to one mob and asked to see their FFP scopes. They brought up a whole bunch of scopes and started reading what sounds like brochure marketing buzz words. All were SFP. When educated about the difference between FFP and SFP, I got the, "ooooooo, you mean the...". I forgot what they said but it's clear they didn't know shit.

Then I went to another store and they brought out a range of MOA and MRAD scopes. Turns out, they took them out of the boxes for the glass case and they've mismatched the scopes and boxes. Didn't have any luck picking up a Razor for Strike Eagle price.

Makes me want to open an LGS. Seems easy.
It’s not rocket science that’s for sure, but people fuck it up all the time and it’s always a better second income. Most the guys I know who own them have it to pay for their toys with the added benefit of dealer pricing.

Most of what I own came from two LGS here that charge 10-20% less than MSRP for anything I've ever needed. There are many more that don't. I've never gone to a store looking for advice.

Everything else was private party.

Gun store clerks are some of the dumbest folks in retail the world.

FIFY

I no longer have a reason to go to any of the LGS near me. When I buy a gun online I have it sent to the local pawnshop.

Reactions: FWoo45
Your first mistake was expecting the idiots at a LGS to know shit about fuck.

Smart businessmen don’t own gun stores because the markup sucks compared to the rest of the retail industry. Smart employees don’t work at gun stores because the pay sucks. There’s an exception at the distributor level.

• Haha
Reactions: JbBooks
If you do alot if purchasing and trading would it be worth it to get a FFL? Basic ones are not that expensive.

My wife has the itch to move. I’m like “wtf? Primary Arms is 20 minutes from the house…”
Right, but you could be 5 minutes away from them. Wife is just trying to save you fuel cost.

Smart businessmen don’t own gun stores because the markup sucks compared to the rest of the retail industry. Smart employees don’t work at gun stores because the pay sucks. There’s an exception at the distributor level.
So if all the gun shop owners are so fuckin stupid for owning gun shops, how fucking dumb are you for going into one and spending money?
Now before you go off the rails, calling me the dumbest sumbitch out here, think about it.
And what’s the exception at the distribution level, their margins are the same if not lower than retail, they’re just dealing in quantity, and by your statement, that makes the owners of cabelas/bass pro, and all the other giant retail stores that sell guns and accessories the absolute dumbest fucks on the planet. You really are the super special kind of Florida man.

Most owners I know it’s a side gig they make there money elsewhere.

So if all the gun shop owners are so fuckin stupid for owning gun shops, how fucking dumb are you for going into one and spending money?
Now before you go off the rails, calling me the dumbest sumbitch out here, think about it.
And what’s the exception at the distribution level, their margins are the same if not lower than retail, they’re just dealing in quantity, and by your statement, that makes the owners of cabelas/bass pro, and all the other giant retail stores that sell guns and accessories the absolute dumbest fucks on the planet. You really are the super special kind of Florida man.

Someones feelings are hurt.

Cabelas, Bass Pro and shops like Mile High and Euro Optic are distributor level that are also selling a lot of stuff other than just guns and can actually turn a decent profit and hire decent employees to run shit. The people sweeping the floors at those businesses are making more money than LGS counter people and actually have benefits and some job security.

Instead of griping about transfers, turn it into a sale. Every transfer is an opportunity to make money. There’s shops here that have a steady line of cheap transfers quick in and out customers and most buy ammo/accessories easy profit. The other stores charge more because they think it’s a waste of time.

If I can sell a case of ammo, cleaning kit, case, and make $20 in 10-15min for being a glorified gun post office I’ll take it all day. I’ve sold more firearms to guys just coming in for transfers countless times. It’s sales not rocket science.

Last edited:
In an economic model where “guns get them in the door, but accessories keep the lights on” it makes little sense to charge huge transfer fees.

You are going to get all kinds of people. Some shops may not work or do much business in the area you are looking for. If you walked into a shop that specialized in cowboy action and asked for scope rings....that is a bit out of their wheel house. However they could talk your ear off about you thinking about going to black powder on your repro Remington revolver. Does that make them stupid, nope....is it bad customer service, a little bit. If he came out and said, well we usually don't do much with scopes and I am really rusty there but I can order in what you need.....that would have been better.

In an economic model where “guns get them in the door, but accessories keep the lights on” it makes little sense to charge huge transfer fees.
Not if people will go down the road instead, you lost any sales opportunity you had.

You are going to get all kinds of people. Some shops may not work or do much business in the area you are looking for. If you walked into a shop that specialized in cowboy action and asked for scope rings....that is a bit out of their wheel house. However they could talk your ear off about you thinking about going to black powder on your repro Remington revolver. Does that make them stupid, nope....is it bad customer service, a little bit. If he came out and said, well we usually don't do much with scopes and I am really rusty there but I can order in what you need.....that would have been better.
We live in a magical time, you can say “I’m not sure but the internet will know”

• Haha
I’m lucky enough to have access to several decent shops local to me.
Shop 1: stocks atlas bipods, aimpoint and nightforce and some high end AR stuff
Shop 2: has tons of mid range AR stuff, huge selection of mid to upper end handgun stuff staccato, lots of HK etc..
Shop 3: decent overall shop has cheap shit and some nicer stuff
The list could go on… one really evident fact I notice, the better the selection at the shop, the better the counter guys are.

I was in one shop that’s local because I had a gift card, The counter guy kept insisting to this guy that the S&W shield is the best single stack 9mm and just kept pushing this guy who was clearly new. So I finally say there’s a few othe single 9’s I’d look at. Sig 365, 365x and 365xl and glock 43 come to mind. Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice. I just laughed and asked if he owned a shield. He said yes. I told the guy shopping to take what he hears in that shop with a grain of salt, and left.

People get so butt hurt about stuff nowadays

The quality of retail employees has crashed across the board, not just in the firearms industry. Nobody gives a shit anymore.

This is what happens when you feed the pigeons. Seems nice at first and the next thing you know you can’t leave your lunch unattended and there’s pigeon shit everywhere.

• Haha
local store with issues? pawn shops are beyond belief . try the gun shows. stupid people trying to profit by their greed off other stupid people.

I’m lucky enough to have access to several decent shops local to me.
Shop 1: stocks atlas bipods, aimpoint and nightforce and some high end AR stuff
Shop 2: has tons of mid range AR stuff, huge selection of mid to upper end handgun stuff staccato, lots of HK etc..
Shop 3: decent overall shop has cheap shit and some nicer stuff
The list could go on… one really evident fact I notice, the better the selection at the shop, the better the counter guys are.

I was in one shop that’s local because I had a gift card, The counter guy kept insisting to this guy that the S&W shield is the best single stack 9mm and just kept pushing this guy who was clearly new. So I finally say there’s a few othe single 9’s I’d look at. Sig 365, 365x and 365xl and glock 43 come to mind. Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice. I just laughed and asked if he owned a shield. He said yes. I told the guy shopping to take what he hears in that shop with a grain of salt, and left.

People get so butt hurt about stuff nowadays
I sold hi-points like it was going out of style, I advised against it but it’s their money. Why do I care what they spend it on? You can’t force them to get what you want. It’s easy for people to fall into the trap of “I own it and really like it so it’s the best”. Look at the truck brand diehards.

“Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice.”

There’s definitely idiots to be encountered on both sides side of gun counters lol. I had a guy working a counter tell me I was an idiot for pronouncing Geiselle correctly he said it was “Jizz-Elle”.

Reactions: 300zx_tt
The quality of retail employees has crashed across the board, not just in the firearms industry. Nobody gives a shit anymore.

This is what happens when you feed the pigeons. Seems nice at first and the next thing you know you can’t leave your lunch unattended and there’s pigeon shit everywhere.
Bunch of them don’t care because the companies have gone to shit, but it’s one of those two side deals. Some of one some of the other, and it creates the perfect shit storm.

I've always said the best thing a gun store employee can say to me is "I don't know." It sure beats the normal bullshit, lies and making things up you usually get when that applies.

Someones feelings are hurt.

Cabelas, Bass Pro and shops like Mile High and Euro Optic are distributor level that are also selling a lot of stuff other than just guns and can actually turn a decent profit and hire decent employees to run shit. The people sweeping the floors at those businesses are making more money than LGS counter people and actually have benefits and some job security.
I don’t keep my feelings where a dipshit like you can reach them. So no hurt feelings here. From that reply I’m assuming you’re one of the floor sweepers?