• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Reputable" Local Gun Shop

I sold hi-points like it was going out of style, I advised against it but it’s their money. Why do I care what they spend it on? You can’t force them to get what you want. It’s easy for people to fall into the trap of “I own it and really like it so it’s the best”. Look at the truck brand diehards.

“Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice.”

There’s definitely idiots to be encountered on both sides side of gun counters lol. I had a guy working a counter tell me I was an idiot for pronouncing Geiselle correctly he said it was “Jizz-Elle”.
Why no love for the Hi-Point? :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: akmike47
Why no love for the Hi-Point? :cry:

I mean I got one years ago before you saw them every where for the laughs, new it was $70. I knew it was a POS but it was so ugly I got it just to show my buddies what a pos it was.

Granted if it’s all you can afford, it’s a good club if it jams and better than nothing.

I sold hi-points like it was going out of style, I advised against it but it’s their money. Why do I care what they spend it on? You can’t force them to get what you want. It’s easy for people to fall into the trap of “I own it and really like it so it’s the best”. Look at the truck brand diehards.

“Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice.”

There’s definitely idiots to be encountered on both sides side of gun counters lol. I had a guy working a counter tell me I was an idiot for pronouncing Geiselle correctly he said it was “Jizz-Elle”.
Don’t get me wrong, people can spend on whatever they want. If the guy walked in and said give me a shield, I wouldn’t have said shit. It’s the fact that the guy didn’t know what he wanted and the counter guy was basically saying “the only gun I’d buy if I were you is a shield” we all know opinions are like ass holes so I wasn’t going to say anything but the customer didn’t seem to like the shield and that’s when I interjected. Pushing guns you like as a salesman to justify your own purchase even if it’s not what the customer wants is nuts and I’d never consider doing that. I dislike some guns that I recommend to other because it’s what fits the bill, for them.

Bunch of them don’t care because the companies have gone to shit, but it’s one of those two side deals. Some of one some of the other, and it creates the perfect shit storm.
Everyone cares about their job when they rely on their paycheck to feed themselves and their family, regardless of how they feel about their employer. Hunger, rain and the cold are wonderful motivators.

If the gov would stop feeding the pigeons, the natural order of the world would solve these issues in no time.

That’s what I was getting at.

I’m lucky enough to have access to several decent shops local to me.
Shop 1: stocks atlas bipods, aimpoint and nightforce and some high end AR stuff
Shop 2: has tons of mid range AR stuff, huge selection of mid to upper end handgun stuff staccato, lots of HK etc..
Shop 3: decent overall shop has cheap shit and some nicer stuff
The list could go on… one really evident fact I notice, the better the selection at the shop, the better the counter guys are.

I was in one shop that’s local because I had a gift card, The counter guy kept insisting to this guy that the S&W shield is the best single stack 9mm and just kept pushing this guy who was clearly new. So I finally say there’s a few othe single 9’s I’d look at. Sig 365, 365x and 365xl and glock 43 come to mind. Counter guy got all pissed off at me and asked what qualified me to give out advice. I just laughed and asked if he owned a shield. He said yes. I told the guy shopping to take what he hears in that shop with a grain of salt, and left.

People get so butt hurt about stuff nowadays
Just FYI the 365 in any model is not a single stack, the 43 is.

I don’t keep my feelings where a dipshit like you can reach them. So no hurt feelings here. From that reply I’m assuming you’re one of the floor sweepers?

Definitely some hurt feelings, otherwise you would have just jumped right over my reply that got you butthurt.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Runnineh
Your first mistake was expecting the idiots at a LGS to know shit about fuck.

Smart businessmen don’t own gun stores because the markup sucks compared to the rest of the retail industry. Smart employees don’t work at gun stores because the pay sucks. There’s an exception at the distributor level.
One of the oldest gun stores I know of in central Texas is as much of a Good ol Boy's Club of old money Fudds, politicians, cops, U.T. athletes and alumni and the usual regulars that drop enough money in there to be tolerated. The counter help have been known to treat the average customer off the street with arrogance, if they wait on them at all.

The guys behind the counter have been there for years and all have a story. One old fart that thinks he's a Dr. is a germaphobe that has to wash his hands constantly. Another one wears nothing but khaki safari outfits and has a waxed handlebar mustache that sticks out past his face like some type of horned beetle. All of them tell raunchy, locker room jokes about women like gun owner groupies are lined up wanting their minimum wage + commission seed.

The store charges a $50.00 transfer fee.

Reactions: redneckbmxer24
One of the oldest gun stores I know of in central Texas is as much of a Good ol Boy's Club of old money Fudds, politicians, cops, U.T. athletes and alumni and the usual regulars that drop enough money in there to be tolerated. The counter help have been known to treat the average customer off the street with arrogance, if they wait on them at all.

The guys behind the counter have been there for years and all have a story. One old fart that thinks he's a Dr. is a germaphobe that has to wash his hands constantly. Another one wears nothing but khaki safari outfits and has a waxed handlebar mustache that sticks out past his face like some type of horned beetle. All of them tell raunchy, locker room jokes about women like gun owner groupies are lined up wanting their minimum wage + commission seed.

I pay $10

Seems like a fun bunch, I would make fun of them... to their face 😂

Sounds like McBride’s in Austin, Texas?

• Haha
Reactions: TexPatriot
Sounds like McBride’s in Austin, Texas?
Is that the place with the reloading stuff up stairs? I know I’ve been there but I’ve been to a few up there. Fuckers didn’t say a word to me lol

Is that the place with the reloading stuff up stairs? I know I’ve been there but I’ve been to a few up there. Fuckers didn’t say a word to me lol

Its been over 20 years since I was there but I believe your correct the reloading gear was in a separate room either off to the side of the showroom or up stairs but in a separate area from where the guns were displaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: akmike47
Its been over 20 years since I was there but I believe your correct the reloading gear was in a separate room either off to the side of the showroom or up stairs but in a separate area from where the guns were displyed.
That place is set up weird, and the employees definitely ignore you. If I remember correctly it was priced high too.

That place is set up weird, and the employees definitely ignore you. If I remember correctly it was priced high too.
Yes it was…seems like I remember a sign on the wall with a picture that said they had been open since the early 1950’s and the building really hasn’t changed since then. As @TexPatriot stated they are not real friendly and snobby to say the least. Prices were high but people pay it…I believe they have a lot of politicians frequent that establishment during session every two years. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they raised all their prices right before session and lower them back down when session is over.

Last edited:
You have to own a ranch in S. Texas or been going in there since you were a kid and be part of old Austin.

I go in there every few years to pay my respects and go down memory lane. It's one of the last vestiges of a better Austin.

Reactions: JR_77
You have to own a ranch in S. Texas or been going in there since you were a kid and be part of old Austin.

I go in there every few years to pay my respects and go down memory lane. It's one of the last vestiges of a better Austin.
I agree with that. I figured out pretty quick when I shopped there it was like the George Carlin line “It’s a big club and you ain‘t in it.” I was a poor and not old money but always managed to buy something each trip.

Yes it was…seems like I remember a sign on the wall with a picture that said they had been open since the early 1950’s and the building really hasn’t changed since then. As @TexPatriot stated they are not real friendly and snobby to say the least. Prices were high but people pay it…I believe they have a lot of politicians frequent that establishment during session every two years. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if they raised all their prices right before session and lower them back down when session is over. Not sure if it’s true but I heard the largest volume Lamborghini dealership is in D.C. and sells most everything at MSRP. I believe McBride’s has the same logic. Easier to spend the people’s money than your own.
Only time I was in the same room (at different times) with two Texas Governors was in McBrides. Mark White was buying a Weatherby and Rick Perry a handgun. Actually talked to Perry while getting in my truck. Seemed like a good, down to earth guy.

Only time I was in the same room (at different times) with two Texas Governors was in McBrides. Mark White was buying a Weatherby and Rick Perry a handgun. Actually talked to Perry while getting in my truck. Seemed like a good, down to earth guy.
Always quite a few big wigs in the house. Is Jesse James the chopper builder still living in Austin and building custom 1911’s?

I agree with that. I figured out pretty quick when I shopped there it was like the George Carlin line “It’s a big club and you ain‘t in it.” I was a poor and not old money but always managed to buy something each trip.
Did you know all the McBride men first names start with a J?

Joe must have taken pity on me when I was a young poor. He always made me some sweet deals I know were in my favor on trades. On one, he threw in a down filled Browning Sorty jacket because it was winter.

Always quite a few big wigs in the house. Is Jesse James the chopper builder still living in Austin and building custom 1911’s?
Yeah, but I would hardly put him in the same circle. Have you seen some of his ARs or his claims on his silencers?

Did you know all the McBride men first names start with a J?

Joe must have taken pity on me when I was a young poor. He always made me some sweet deals I know were in my favor on trades. On one, he threw in a down filled Browning Sorty jacket because it was winter.
No I did not know that but my dad did the same thing all of us have the first name start with J.

Reactions: TexPatriot
Yeah, but I would hardly put him in the same circle. Have you seen some of his ARs or his claims on his silencers?
I lived in Austin for about 7.5 years and moved in 2003. He was big in the custom chopper world at that time then moved to Austin about the time I left from what I remember. I haven’t kept up with him at all I just remember there was a lot of buzz back then as he was reinventing his name after the Sandra Bullock fall out. There was a local guy who bought one of his custom 1911’s and loved it but that was back around 2003-2004.

Last edited:
No I did not know that but my dad did the same thing all of us have the first name start with J.
Whenever we were buying a new rifle, Joe would let us go upstairs and go through the boxes and find the one with the prettiest wood.

I remember one time Chip McCormick and I were going dove hunting and I said I wanted to stop at McBride's to swap out the barrel on my new 870 12 gauge that was too long. Joe let me go upstairs and swap it out with a shorter barrel off a new 870 in the box. McCormick, who was use to being the center of attention, couldn't believe it and said 'Damn, he wouldn't do that for me.' I responded 'Why should he?'

Whenever we were buying a new rifle, Joe would let us go upstairs and go through the boxes and find the one with the prettiest wood.

I remember one time Chip McCormick and I were going dove hunting and I said I wanted to stop at McBride's to swap out the barrel on my new 870 12 gauge that was too long. Joe let me go upstairs and swap it out with a shorter barrel off a new 870 in the box. McCormick, who was use to being the center of attention, couldn't believe it and said 'Damn, he wouldn't do that for me.' I responded 'Why should he?'
Very cool!

The closest gun shop to me is about 1 hour away (yes... we measure distance in time- not miles). They are not very knowledgeable about many things and only stock lower end stuff. That doesn't keep them from being a very good store though. If I need something they will order it in for me- and generally beat any price you can find online. If they don't have to dedicate any store space to a item and not tie money up in it because they have a guaranteed sale (and you're not a dick) - then they can be pretty generous with the markup.

And when things are difficult to find it really pays to be in good with the LGS.....

Reactions: TxLabRat
Thats me bro
That’s not a new picture online I’ve seen it before, also you’re too dumb to crop all the shit out from your screen shot. Everyone’s screen shooting their own bathroom selfies from image searches. Lol

You could at least be somewhat believable if you’re going to troll

E0A7A152-C820-4B67-BC21-43ADFFC5CC8B.jpeg
A08FC7B0-A3F4-448D-B89A-0FEC04B6134B.jpeg
9D6CEAAB-3278-417F-A496-7C7DC636414B.jpeg

Last edited:
The problem with the lgs is that we all seem to be in a race to the fucking bottom, me and my wife run a store and a little manufacturing and custom shop, if all the little stores in the whole country could come together and charge 500 for a transfer, we could shut down the online only dealers overnight, but we won’t, and we’re just as guilty as the next guy.

There’s not that much of a margin in guns to live on, the money is in accessories, and most stores would rather sell 10 ruger Americans a week, than 1 AI every 6 months, you gotta know your customer base, and as far as ordering from giant retailers to save 50 bucks, that’s what makes this country great, freedom, but also remember, when all your lgs’s have to shut the doors because of the 20 transfers, that box of 10mm or 22lr won’t be under the counter because of your loyalty, bass pro could give two fucks if you’ve got a box of ammo so you can take your daughter shooting, and they goddamn sure don’t care if your kids school has enough shells and guns for trap season. Not a rant, just some food for thought.
Dear LGS owners...
The second all of you started selling people chinese shit that falls apart when you look at it...in life safety critical roles like weapon lights...because the margin was 50000%....I stopped caring about you as a business.

I go in now and if I see something behind the counter that’s gonna get someone killed I leave and don’t come back. SCCY and Hi-points are high on my list.

I remember going into the first gun shop I cared for in a long time....and it was amazing. Fucking amazing.

I asked the owner on a smoke break "this is different man....really different. whats your secret?"

"First of all, I ended up with one of those jobs in the Army where people actually shot at me. A lot. And I decided not to sell anything that I wouldn't take back with me if I had to go again. Second, almost everything in there is rare and priced accordingly. I personally sold 5 things this week with an average profit of $2000 each. The dude that wants that HK wants it....the guy that wants that LMT has gotta have it....And third I figured out how to hire folks that know what the fuck they are talking about. I ask every potential employee to bring in their "best" gun to the interview and explain to me why thats their best gun. The guy behind the AR counter brought in a KAC SR15 with a MAWL on it and an Aimpoint CompM5 and the dude behind the pistol counter brought in an old school German Sig X5. Their other guys applying brought in a Mini-14 and a Glock 19 they had stippled at home with a screwdriver heated up on the stove. One dude couldn't stop his mouth from running for even 3 seconds about his Century AK47. One from the really bad years."

Last edited: