• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reputable place to order complete AR15 Bull Barrel Uppers

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
I've finally put some money aside to turn my AR15 flat top into a target or paper punching machine/groundhog destroyer. I'm wanting a heavy Bull barrel mainly for the added weight stability. Chambering I was thinking .223 simply because I hear the .223 is an inherently more accurate round(?). I have thousands of Lake City brass casings that I want to size in a .223 die and use for precision hand loads.

Just wanted to give you some background as to my plans for the rifle. Weight is not a concern, and I'm thinking the more weight the better for stability off bags or a bipod.

Where do you guys reccomend I go shopping online at? Obviously I want to strike affordability and quality at a happy medium. Rguns.com has some Bull barrels in stock suprisingly. White Oak Armament looks like their out on shipping for many many months.

So I'm asking to steer me in the right direction. I'm not real hip to AR15 online retailers and I'm not fond for that ar15 forum.

Thanks Hide.

I have an Rguns heavy barrel upper. It took 91 days from when I ordered an "In stock" item for it to get to me.

With that said.

The Rguns upper appears to be of decent quality. I haven't shot it yet, as I'm waiting to get a scope and base for the thing (or sell it to finance a can.) The barrels are quite heavy, I mic'd forward of the FSB at .750" and aft of the FSB at .950"

The only real advice I can give is make sure the barrel is free floated.

Midway has shilen 24" bull 223 Wylde barrels. I bought one (20" medium heavy) from a seller on gunbroker and actually got it for less than midway. Do a search for them on gun broker and if the seller is in TX, then likely the fella. He will sell outright from his shop off gunbroker for same price as midway too.

Anyway, he and his shop partner built uppers on the 24" bulls and said they were more than impressed. They also come with a headspaced bolt. Installing mine in a monolithic VLTOR within the next week--so cannot attest the the accuracy yet.

if you're looking for something for inexpensive plinking, look at Blackthorne for an upper...not very expensive. I picked up two of the uppers...still need to complete the build but fit and finish look to be very good for the price. If you want it now, you'll pay a few hundred bucks more than you would through GB...just depends on how fast you care to get one.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

akpartskits.com

Woah, Black Thorne is a real company? I thought it was a scam site.

SCAM...not at all. I've purchased 2 uppers and spoke to the owner directly on the phone...great guy to deal with.

Keep in mind, you're not paying for competition/match components but what you'll get is something that you can shoot and have fun with without feeling raped.

The only issue I have is that I don't have the funds to buy 6 more uppers from them.

If all goes well I'll have my rifle complete this weekend...keep your fingers crossed

After doing more research I think im going to go with just a barrel with included gas tube and pressed gas block rather than a full upper. I'm wanting to shoot LR with it, so probable ought to get a twist good for 65 or 70 gr bullets. Any suggestions on twist rates for the more accurate LR .224 bullets? I'm just starting my research so I can pull the trigger on a heavy 20" or 24" VArmint or Heavy Bull Barrell.

I always recommend WOA but I understand not wanting to wait months for your barrel to come in. As far as using heavier rounds for long range shooting you should go with a 1/8 or 1/7. Good luck and keep us posted.

Is there anything to be gained FPS wise with a 24" vs a 20" in .223 caliber? Weight doesn't bother me.

I would give Ranier Arms a call. Built 3 ultra-match uppers and they were tackdrivers. Like the 8 twist/wilde chamber the best.

I can tell you as the former owner of a 24" heavy barrel - free floated, 1/9 twist, the gun seemed out of balance. I thought I would really like it, but I didn't. A quit trip to the smith with a cut and recrown and it feels much better at 19" inches. I can't speak much to the accuracy as it is still in one inch and very accurate on paper at 100yards. I am working up some loads.

Now if it were a 1/7 twist, it might have been different for me. But wearing a nice Burris 1 x 4 has turned this into a 200-300 yard coyote gun all day long with 50 grain V max.

I can tell you as the former owner of a 24" heavy barrel - free floated, 1/9 twist, the gun seemed out of balance. I thought I would really like it, but I didn't. A quit trip to the smith with a cut and recrown and it feels much better at 19" inches. I can't speak much to the accuracy as it is still in one inch and very accurate on paper at 100yards. I am working up some loads.

Now if it were a 1/7 twist, it might have been different for me. But wearing a nice Burris 1 x 4 has turned this into a 200-300 yard coyote gun all day long with 50 grain V max.

Right on. Glad you got your gun working nice for you. I'm leaning towards shooting 65 to 75 gr. bullets to shoot LR with. I've read multiple posts of guys complaining the 24" barrels felt "out of balance". I need to get my hands on one and set it on a bench, and prone to know for myself. Thanks for your experience, as it helps. Tight groups!