• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Resale of a Desert Eagle .357?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Hey guys,

I have a guy offering to trade me a Desert Eagle Mk XIX .357 w/a 6 inch barrel, in black. He says it is excellent condition, 200 rounds through it.

He wants to trade for my SPS Tactical w/ my Super Sniper 10x42 on it. I have the gun listed for $899 in the F/S forum.

I wouldn't mind having the Desert Eagle for a range gun, they are supposed to be pretty accurate. I know they are limited use, but it seems like it might be fun to have for a bit. The question is this: will I be able to get $1000 out of it or so used, when I decide to sell it?

I know these sell for like $1400 new, but I have no idea what the resale is like.

Also, anyone with any experience with the gun, please feel free to chime in. I know that it is not a personal defense gun, I have others for that anyhow. I'm not planning on tucking it in my wasteband, I know that the gun "is what it is."

Thanks,

-BM

Re: Resale of a Desert Eagle .357?

If you look around, you can find used Desert Eagles in the $700-$800 range. $900 is not out of line. I usually go to Gunbroker.com and check completed auctions for actual selling prices when I'm pricing used guns. Sort by highest number of bids first, so you don't have to wade through the pile of overpriced guns that nobody bid on.

I really like my Desert Eagle and like you say, it is what it is. I've got barrels in .357 and .44 Mag, and I've used it with great results at bowling pin matches. (who says these things aren't "practical"?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, anyone with any experience with the gun, please feel free to chime in. I know that it is not a personal defense gun, I have others for that anyhow. I'm not planning on tucking it in my wasteband, I know that the gun "is what it is."

-BM </div></div>

I used to have 2 of the 357 mags, great guns i wish i never would of sold them, accurate as well, and if you need to pistol whip someone this is the chunk of steel to do it with... once you buy you wont be dissapointed, but you need to shoot hi power (mag) loads not sure what I was running, when i used 38special ammo the recoil springs are stout and would not chamber another round.

Good to know, but are the cheap 100 round value packs of Remington brand .357 mag good enough to cycle? That is what I was planning on running.

not sure i never used them, but i was runnin 158 gr sellier and bellot without any probs, if i remember correctly anything under 158 grains sometimes wouldn't cycle, but my DE's were the older mods, not the MK XIX, not sure if they changed the recoil springs or anything on the newer mods.

Thank you!

bm11,

Another optinion here, but similar. On the auction sites, used Desert Eagles (DE) usually sell for $800 plus. Some will go for $1000 plus.

Something I learned with DE is they can be sensitive to the powder used in a load to function. The gas volume of some powders is out of the design range so they do not always cooperate. After all it is a gas operated gun. This is a bigger problem if you reload than if you do not.

If you do not have any experience with DE, be prepared to love it. Mine has a two-stage trigger! They are a lot of fun.

Yeah, seems like it would be a fun gun to shoot. I'd be real tempted to convert it to .50ae though, to make it a real hand cannon!

Any of you DE guys know where you can get caliber conversion kits at a good price? I know that one of the main benefits of the Mk XIX is that you can change the barrel, bolt, and magazine, and have one of the alternate calibers.

I had a DE in 50 AE, thought it would be cool to have but found out it just screwed up all my shooting fundamentals. Only two happy days with it the day I bought it and the day i sold it. JAA

Haha, I could see where it might mess up your handgun shooting skills! That's a good point to consider.

img3438h.jpg

img3439g.jpg

img3440t.jpg

img3441m.jpg

img3442m.jpg

img3443j.jpg
img3436d.jpg

My 2¢. Looking at the bolt, the pistol has a lot more then 200 rounds fired.
Used DE 357 six inch is worth $600. Hell I trade one with a 44 upper for a Sig pistol. The DE is a pig. Heavy, slow and ammo sensitive. I used mine as a back up for pigs while bow hunting.

Keep your rifle.

Thanks for the advice, I wasn't thrilled about doing the deal anyhow. I would have wanted it for the novelty, the real novelty is in .50ae, which I would have converted it to, then I would have about new DE money in it. Plus for novelty's sake, I probably would want it in chrome or nickel.

Plus I'm pretty sure the resale of the .50 is better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 2¢. Looking at the bolt, the pistol has a lot more then 200 rounds fired.
Used DE 357 six inch is worth $600. Hell I trade one with a 44 upper for a Sig pistol. The DE is a pig. Heavy, slow and ammo sensitive. I used mine as a back up for pigs while bow hunting.

Keep your rifle.

2¢ </div></div>

Thanks for the support....you seem to be able to tell a lot from a blurry close-up. The gun actually has <span style="text-decoration: underline">EXACTLY</span> 180 rounds through it. If you can show me a used DE in any caliber for $600, I'll buy it for you. (My $.02)

I think he meant the lugs and face appear to have a lot of wear, but this could just be the finish wearing off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buildwonder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 2¢. Looking at the bolt, the pistol has a lot more then 200 rounds fired.

Keep your rifle.

2¢ </div></div>

Thanks for the support....you seem to be able to tell a lot from a blurry close-up. The gun actually has <span style="text-decoration: underline">EXACTLY</span> 180 rounds through it. If you can show me a used DE in any caliber for $600, I'll buy it for you. (My $.02) </div></div>

As I said my 2¢. $600 would be a private sale. But BigBradd's in Maryland has one for $650 as of Friday.

The lugs show the wear.

I looked at Gunbroker completed auctions. The 50's do bring more. Lots of DE's not selling like this new one.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=164061242

bm11 asked, "will I be able to get $1000 out of it or so used". The answer is no.

Since the pistol must be yours, if you can sell it for $1000... Buy his rifle.

I guess I'll just lurk for now on.