• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Resale value Mil Vs. MOA

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Is there better resale on one over the other? I'm thinking about getting a high end scope and was wondering which would have better resale. I don't mind learning a new system.

thanks

Mil, there's no comparison. Though there might be a point to make that MOA may sell fast because there's not but so many floating around it seems.

From what I've seen, MOA takes longer/sells for less.

Reactions: McCrazy
IME: MOA scopes are more popular on non-tactical forums. MIL scopes are more popular here.

Mil scopes sell better for more on Ebay too. Not sure about other forums, I don't fuck around with them.

I used to be a MOA guy and sold all my MOA optics to changeover to MIL. It was not easy and I did take some hits on the prices, but in the end, I am glad I changed over to MIL. I don't know of the percentage but I think it is a very high percentage that use MIL over MOA. So there is a much better chance of selling to the MIL crowd versus MOA just by the sheer number of MIL reticle users.

If you are starting out and don't have any other scopes scopes with mil or moa reticles, I don't know why you would ever buy an MOA scope for a precision rifle. At any PRS style match, the predominant language is mils today. When we're calling out wind corrections we're looking through our reticles which are generally all mil reticles and calling out wind corrections or shot corrections in mils. Nobody is thinking of corrections in an absolute measure of distance, like inches or feet, everyone is thinking in angular measurements which in the PRS crowd is mils. To complicate things further, scope manufacturers and shooters are mixing up true MOA with shooters MOA (inches per hundred yards). For example, Nightforce MOA scopes are .26" per click, Leupold scopes are .25" per click. Take that to a thousand yards of elevation and you've got a significant difference.

On this forum, MOA scopes take longer to sell and sell for significantly less in my opinion. For example, I've been watching the PX section for used Vortex AMG scopes and the mil scopes have sold here lately for $2200 to $2300 and they sell quickly. This MOA AMG has been for sale for a long time and the seller has lowered the price to what I think is a screaming deal it hasn't sold yet.

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...1-2125-final-price-drop.6875148/#post-6947071

Reactions: Gohring65
My observation is outside the PRS circle MOA is more popular. I've been helping my buddy look for a PST G2 5-25x in MOA and we've both encountered venders who repeated the MOA is more in demand over the MILS version, hence the OOS in the former. That's just my observation though and could be way off (maybe less production of MOA vs MILS?). If you buy a scope and would most likely resell on here, I'd personally get the MILS version......they seem to go quicker on these types of forums.

My observation is outside the PRS circle MOA is more popular. I've been helping my buddy look for a PST G2 5-25x in MOA and we've both encountered venders who repeated the MOA is more in demand over the MILS version, hence the OOS in the former. That's just my observation though and could be way off (maybe less production of MOA vs MILS?). If you buy a scope and would most likely resell on here, I'd personally get the MILS version......they seem to go quicker on these types of forums.

I could be totally off base here, as its just an opinion/observation. I think you'll find MOA outselling Mil up to a certain price point, probably 1k-1500, and then mils would outsell.

I've hunted most of my life and inside those circles you find a lot of "it's easier for me to think in inches," and "my 300 scope will do the same thing as a 2000 scope."

And obviously the lower end priced scopes outsell the higher end by a large percentage.

Nothing at all wrong with MOA if its properly used, but I find people who improperly use MOA tend to also stick with cheaper optics(also nothing wrong with being budget minded).