• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

resizing 7.62x39 to 6.5 grendel

jasonZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
independence, kansas 67301
Anybody done this? I've been reading a lot and trying some, just to see what I cand do. I'm using hornady new style dies, which are supposed to be full length dies. The issue that I'm having is that I can't get the shoulder down far enough on the case. I'm lacking about .040", which is making my case just a little too long! It won't quite lock the bolt up all the way. I need to figure out what the problem is and I'm wondering if its the shell holder thickness. I set it up to where the top of the shell holder pretty much touchs the bottom of the die and, by measuring from the bottom of the brass to top of the case, where the case just starts to shoulder over, I come up with right about .040" difference between the 7.62 brass and my hornady brass.

Any thoughts or experience? I ordered a new shell holder, hornady, to see if that was it. Haven't got it yet though. Thanks, Jason

Re: resizing 7.62x39 to 6.5 grendel

Thats all i hae used in my 6.5 grendel is 7.62x39 brass; sometimes there is spring back in the brass. I have found doing a double cycle when initially doing the sizing helps i also have a case gauge i check them in to make sure the shoulder sets back. I didn't have the gauge initially but did find doing the double cycle cured the same problem and assumed from my reloading experience i was getting just a little sping back. I currently reload for over 75 calibers and > 20 wildcats. with wilcats this is a common problem on bumping shoulders back.

Did that already and still the same. I just can't seem to get it to turn out right. I initially loaded about 10rds after the first run. I attempted to fire some of these, but no go. The bolt apparently locked up enough to allow the rifle to strike, or click as the firing pin was released. However there was no bang! I checked the rifle after my range trip, to make sure that they weren't too short and not getting into the bolt, which I didn't think was the case, since it would eject the round just fine when I cycle it. I did find that it didn't appear that the bolt was locking into the locking lugs in the barrel quite all the way. That's when I checked the case, as I had read that it was, or sounded like a simple straight forward process. Now I'm at a loss though. Thanks, Jason

Turn the die in until it touches to shell holder with the ram all the way up, then back the ram down and run the die in about another 1/4 turn. Lock it down and size a case, bet it chambers then....You aren't going into the die far enough.

If you can get your hands on some IMI 7.62 brass,,,,it works great for Grendel.

Nice link beretta. I'm gonna have to setup again and try this again. I'm wondering, since I used a turret press if it suffering from deflection? Something to look into. Thinking I may have to try his lube as well!

I'll try that setup on the press DRA and see what happens.
Thanks, Jason

i use a turret press also for quick sizing and esp for fireforming, agree need to turn die in at least a 1/4 turn beyond firm touch of shell holder. You will be able to push that brass more even though you feel the die contact with the holder is maxed; it isn't. If this still doesnt work take you die to a belt sander or disc sander and remove 1-3 thousands off the die or shell holder and you should achieve adequate sizing.

Yeah tried setting it up like that and still not enough. I'm gonna work on the shell holder I think. Not sure if its worth the trouble or not, but its something to do.

TacticalJ .....

Look into the <span style="font-weight: bold">Digital Headspace Gauge</span>. It shows the exact chamber clearance (at the shoulder) that YOUR handloads have in YOUR particular chamber, and it works on ALL different calibers.

It helps you adjust your FL die height without guessing about how your handloads will fit.

- Larry

Nope, not working yet. I don't think a case gauge will help this situation, as I can tell you just by eyeballing them that the case simply isn't getting far enough into the die to get the shoulder down far enough. When compared side by side to virgin, or even once fired, Hornady brass there is a very visible difference that measures out to about .040". Now I did this simply with a digital micrometer, measuring from the bottom of the case and to the top of the case, just where it shoulders over. It was not exactly rocket science or precision measurement, but it gave me an idea of how far off I was.

The next step it to grind/sand off the top of the shellholder, since it's the cheapest to replace and I have a new on coming anyways. I just seems to me that I'm not getting the brass far enough into the die for whatever reason. What kills me the most is that nobody else is having trouble with this and using the same new gen Hordady die, or at least nobody I've found yet. We'll see, I do need to get a case gauge though. I have a modified case and I need to get some material for it to measure the chamber and distance to the lands.

Thanks fella's I'll keep you posted, Jason

Dude great question and it worked well for me. I was able to resize roughly 50 rounds of 7.62x39 and they all cycled well no FTF and shot super accurate. Plus I like the fact that I can now use a large rifle primer.. Turning the resizer an additional 1/4 turn heled big time.

i remember reading on the grendel forums that people were having problems with the lee shell holders being too think. Like said above take some off the holder and see if it works for you.

I have a 6.5 and use Winchester 7.62 brass with redding type s die set. Once they are setup it has always been just one single stroke and done. Turn the neck and good to go.
What brass are you using? What is the rifle? You may also need to anneal the necks.

Good Luck!

Jim C

I know this is an old topic, but I was having the same problem using the same dies. So I found a cheap set of Lee FL dies, just to give it a shot. Below are the results and description.

20140306_211419.jpg

From left to right: 1X Fiocchi 7.62x39 case, Hornady CGND die on a Dillon RL550B (multiple strokes), Lee FL die in a Lee Breech lock press(1 stroke), Lee FL die in a Lee Breech lock press(2 strokes), 1X Lapua 6.5G (uncleaned and not resized after firing the last time).

I hope these things fire form....

I have done tons of those range pick up 7,62x39 brass, Remington brass always crushes the shoulder no matter how slow or how much lube is on the case, everything else resizes great, make sure to separate large and small primers.

Out of the 300 I processed tonight, only 5 crushed at the neck and they were all the same head stamp that I don't recognize. Once I started rounding the necks that were really flattened, the issue subsided.