• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Resizing brass troubles

exedotbat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Montville, NJ
I have been trying to follow the reloading 101 thread and I think I need some help.

Right now in in the process of setting up my full length resizing die. I brought the ram up to TDC and screwed the die in all the way. Then I backed it out 1 full turn and started resizing and checking my chamber. So far I have resized 12 pieces in trying to figure this out, and I am second guessing myself or making it more difficult than it should be. I started with one piece of brass until it worked. Then did another piece of brass, and it didn't work so I brought it in a 1/16" and no go. I did this until the ram was touching the die, and realized maybe something was just wrong with the second piece of brass. So I started all over again. This time I had a little more success but I notice not all the brass felt the same going into the chamber some are tighter than others. Is this normal? After the whole ordeal I ended up with 12 pieces all resized differently, 2 of which the bolt was extremely hard to close.

Re: Resizing brass troubles

Lube is a bigger player than you might think. Make sure all cases are lubed well, and lubed the same. Too much, and you'll dent the cases. Too little, and you'll stick a round in the die. Too inconsistent, and your shoulders will be all over the map.

Also, make sure that you're really getting to the top of the stroke. If your press cams over, then make sure it does indeed cam over during your stroke.

All that being said, I think you've got a different problem. Do this: Get a sharpie marker and paint the shoulders on several fired pieces of brass. Now lube and size them with the die adjusted all the way down to the shell holder. Did the die leave a witness mark right on the shoulder datum line? It should be readily evident. If yes, then your die is likely good. If not, then you've got to trim the base of that die so that you can actually size brass correctly. Yes, your die can actually be buggered up.

To get it all perfect (assuming a good die), paint several shoulders. Lube all those cases and back out the die. Now, up-n-down that press, all the while slowly tightening the die into the press. When you feel a marked increase in force to size, chances are you're just beginning to bump that shoulder. Stop there and see if you can reliably chamber that piece of brass. If not, add another 1/8 turn, and again until you can chamber it.

From your post, I think you may perhaps have several dissimmilar pieces of brass, once fired. Some flowed more than others. Those that didn't flow much will re-chamber into your rifle. Those that did flow won't chamber.

Check that die, and make sure you're really bumping the shoulder. Bet that's your problem.

I dont know if you trimmed the cases but they may be too long also, what caliber are you loading? Also what kind of dies?

If these are load devolpment cases then not all the cases expanded the same. May be your issue

The press is a Lee Classic
Dies are RCBS Competition Dies
Hornady Case Lube

All Factory Brass once fired .308
S&B
Winchester

Also these were all fired in my rifle before, the receiver and bolt were trued.

Chris, in addition you had a new chamber cut--so the old brass should NOT fit.

Follow the 101 instructions. Even after the ram and shellholder touch---you may STILL need to turn the die in. Trust the instructions.

BTW- It is good that you are starting with the S & B brass while you learn--as it is NEARLY disposable. Save the Winchester until you figure things out.

are you trimming your brass? my book says 2.005 for .308 rifle is not pistol... the cases normaly stretch every time fired

The current issue of <span style="font-style: italic">RifleShooter</span> has an article by Glen Zediker on sizing brass. It's a thorough discussion. Thought this might be a good opportunity to mention it as you don't see any published articles written by him. I guess he finally conceded and wrote something sufficiently literate that an editor could clean it up.

What I think is happening is that during extraction of the case the neck friction is pulling the shoulder out.
Lubricate the casese well.
Just keep screwing the die down a small amount at a time until all the casese start to feel the same and chamber easy. The correct point to stop is when you just feel the case go from no fit to fiting easy . Lock the die there. That may infact be right on the shell holder it varies .

when i did my first cases, i followed the instructions. they made no mention of the "camming" action a the end of the presses stroke, where it feels like you hit a bump. i had to ask a few people and they explained this to me. after making that adjustment, moving the die down further, it all came out ok. maybe thats the issue you are having?

I am going to give this another go this week with some once fired remington brass from saturday.

Quick question how much should the decapping pin protrude below the bottom of the die? Right now it is set how it came from the factory. According to the directions it just needs to be enough to knock out the spent primer. I would say it ends up being 1/4" below the case when its in the press.

Also it says "The end of the decapping pin holder must be at least 3/16" above the bottom of the die." Is that the silver knurled part?

die1.jpg

die2.jpg

the silver knurled part?
Yes
it may be sticking out a little far going by the picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exedotbat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to give this another go this week with some once fired remington brass from saturday.

Quick question how much should the decapping pin protrude below the bottom of the die? Right now it is set how it came from the factory. According to the directions it just needs to be enough to knock out the spent primer. I would say it ends up being 1/4" below the case when its in the press.

Also it says "The end of the decapping pin holder must be at least 3/16" above the bottom of the die." Is that the silver knurled part?

die1.jpg

die2.jpg
</div></div>

Set the decapping pin up,so it just reliably unseats/exits primers.

Increments are your friend.

a little info on sizing lube, try using imperial sizing wax. ive tried just about every lube and imperial wax imho is the best, and the one tin lasts a realllllly long time.