• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Restrepo, Afghanistan's Korengal Valley

Re: Restrepo, Afghanistan's Korengal Valley

I am not an Army vet by any means, but in the book it did mention that the farther away from the generals they got the more lax the uniform enforcement was, or something along those lines.

Our policy makers have no clue about how to go about getting someone to do what they don't want to do like villagers who are otherwise living peaceably. Notwithstanding, we land, hop out, having never been there, camp out, and seek to find and destroy armed vagrants on his home outback where he grew up. Really? If we learned much in SE Asia, we've forgotten it. Shame on the whiteshirts and General officers for sending kids into harms way to get them another term or promotion. The fatcats will not concede a successful method of prevailing in that campaign. I'm curious if unofficial, small teams of special operators and mercenaries would more effacaciously combat armed bands of lawless enemies of America in Afghanistan. Won't happen because a Colonel won't make General officer? Ya wonder.

What I really appreciate about this documentary is that it doesn't show any political crap or try to tell you how it should be done, or what mistakes were made.

Just soldiers doing their job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackal_5_Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched it the other night, and am somewhat confused and would like some Army vets to explain since we did things alot differently. I am in no way trying to instigate a branch vs branch argument. Just looking for answers.
1. Why throughout the entire documentary are these soldiers not wearing complete/proper PPE in a combat zone? No neck guard or groin protector, Helmets/vests not worn, uniforms half on/not on at all, gloves missing/sleeves rolled up, no one wearing ballistic glasses etc. <span style="color: #FF0000">Patrols or hasty firefights i.e. wake up to gun fire and rush to join? Patrols- possibly explained below i.e. resupply. I've seen plenty of pictures with Marines having rolled sleeves, gloves with fingers cut off, no groin/neck protection. Neck/Groin? useless for the most part. They were wearing old OTV style, the neck protectors on those suck hard to wear. Splitting hairs to argue for or against though. Glasses get scratched, especially in such a no frills environment, scratched lenses are useless. Depending on the style issued, can become fogged/broken very easily. Gloves- same. Resupply in such a situation dictates ammo and food more than new kit to replace the crap that gets messed up. Ideal? no. Happens? All the time! Hell, even in Baghdad it was a pain in the dick to get gloves that fit and new lenses for the ESS/Oakley/Sawfly glasses we were issued. Samarra was even worse for supply. When so much has to be resupplied by helo, ya gotta make a decision- pretty soldiers with a modicum of protection or ammo/food? The men that make these PPE decisions wear slick vests and carry Beretta's. They don't understand issues like walking up a mountain with a vest that weighs 45 pounds plus whatever is in your pack. Cuts have to be made. I don't buy that such things would never fly in the USMC Infantry, I've seen enough pics and video to believe otherwise. Here is a small example (with many more to be seen with google search: http://www.captainsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/marine_with_dog.jpg</span>
2. When building new outposts, are you not inspected to insure a proper defensive position? To me this outpost was all kinds of screwed up, pretty much a death trap.
<span style="color: #FF0000"> The OP or the COP? OP- They took a risk and denied enemy movement and terrain from which to engage the COP. It completely rerouted the Taliban and made them work harder. It showed the locals that the new unit was actually taking the fight to the enemy. I know of no truly text book defensible position in a valley, Cpt. Kearney agrees with you in his statement about "why even have Hesco barriers when they don't stop the rounds coming from up the mountain". Not an easy task. I'd say he did a fine job as a company commander essentially on his own, given what he had to work with. COP- they didn't go on traveldeals.com and choose the place, they were sent there. The area was decisive for building/infrastructure operations as well as being a major Taliban stronghold. To completely leave the place in the hands of the Taliban would have been a tactical mistake on every level. Concessions sometimes have to be made against the possibility of losing soldiers versus accomplishing the task. They did their best with what they had. Again, ideal? No, but they don't call A'stan the Graveyard of Empires for nothing. </span>

Like i said, just asking because that would not fly in Marine Corps infantry. I understand things are done differntly, but the rules/regulations for PPE are mandatory across all services in combat zones. PPE saves lives PERIOD.
</div></div>

Keep in mind, this was just footage of one platoon from an entire brigade. One platoon in the middle of nowhere, in what was one of the worst places to be in A'stan, in some of the shittiest terrain one would ever think to have to fight in. Walking up those grade % just with a vest sucks beyond belief. Add ammo, water, food, etc. No joy. The neck/groin thing is pretty much answered with the current issuing of plate carriers due to the nature of the fight there. For some areas, plate carriers make no sense as so much is done mounted and the possibility of really big IEDs exists. In other areas, a commander that insists on bundling up into a protective personal armor bundle is a stupid fucking commander and is degrading his manpower and their ability to fight effectively. Taliban don't wear vests. Taliban don't need rucks because they walk a kM back home and sleep in their bed and eat by the cooking fire. Taliban grew up walking those mountains and they are fucking billy goats on them. Can't take the fight to the enemy when he can out maneuver you because he is carrying a few mags, an RPG or two, and despite poor diet and a lifetime of smoking can move like no other.

The documentary was just a pixel of the giant billboard that is the Army. many of the things in it would not have happened in most other units. But most other units weren't in BFE with little support and terrain like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackal_5_Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched it the other night, and am somewhat confused and would like some Army vets to explain since we did things alot differently. I am in no way trying to instigate a branch vs branch argument. Just looking for answers.
1. Why throughout the entire documentary are these soldiers not wearing complete/proper PPE in a combat zone? No neck guard or groin protector, Helmets/vests not worn, uniforms half on/not on at all, gloves missing/sleeves rolled up, no one wearing ballistic glasses etc.
2. When building new outposts, are you not inspected to insure a proper defensive position? To me this outpost was all kinds of screwed up, pretty much a death trap.

Like i said, just asking because that would not fly in Marine Corps infantry. I understand things are done differntly, but the rules/regulations for PPE are mandatory across all services in combat zones. PPE saves lives PERIOD.
</div></div>

Jackal,

There are alot of policies in Astan that are diff from Iraq. For the Marines in Helmand Prov there is a reduced PPE policy. We are wearing plate carriers with not neck/yoke/groin protectors. Do they work, ehhh maybe, maybe not?

As for gloves that is a tough one. Marine policy says everyone will wear them. Now my gloves have no fingers on them. It isnt to look cool, it is for finger tip dexterity.

Sleeves rolled up. Now I know the 1stSgt has a heart attack when he sees me with a double roll on my sleeves. Again not to look cool, but I got a watch on one wriste and a 401 on the other. And a QB playbook above the watch with all my report sheets and freq sheets in it. I hate pulling up a sleeve to get a time hac for a demo shot that is cooking, or to plot a grid of an IED.

As for the other PPE I really dont see an excuse for not wearing it other than poor supplies. If you dont have replacement ________(fill in the blank) then you just dont have it. But I wouldnt be caught dead without Eyepro or flame retardent (FROG) suit on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackal_5_Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched it the other night, and am somewhat confused and would like some Army vets to explain since we did things alot differently. I am in no way trying to instigate a branch vs branch argument. Just looking for answers.
1. Why throughout the entire documentary are these soldiers not wearing complete/proper PPE in a combat zone? No neck guard or groin protector, Helmets/vests not worn, uniforms half on/not on at all, gloves missing/sleeves rolled up, no one wearing ballistic glasses etc. <span style="color: #FF0000">Patrols or hasty firefights i.e. wake up to gun fire and rush to join? Patrols- possibly explained below i.e. resupply. I've seen plenty of pictures with Marines having rolled sleeves, gloves with fingers cut off, no groin/neck protection. Neck/Groin? useless for the most part. They were wearing old OTV style, the neck protectors on those suck hard to wear. Splitting hairs to argue for or against though. Glasses get scratched, especially in such a no frills environment, scratched lenses are useless. Depending on the style issued, can become fogged/broken very easily. Gloves- same. Resupply in such a situation dictates ammo and food more than new kit to replace the crap that gets messed up. Ideal? no. Happens? All the time! Hell, even in Baghdad it was a pain in the dick to get gloves that fit and new lenses for the ESS/Oakley/Sawfly glasses we were issued. Samarra was even worse for supply. When so much has to be resupplied by helo, ya gotta make a decision- pretty soldiers with a modicum of protection or ammo/food? The men that make these PPE decisions wear slick vests and carry Beretta's. They don't understand issues like walking up a mountain with a vest that weighs 45 pounds plus whatever is in your pack. Cuts have to be made. I don't buy that such things would never fly in the USMC Infantry, I've seen enough pics and video to believe otherwise. Here is a small example (with many more to be seen with google search: http://www.captainsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/marine_with_dog.jpg</span>
<span style="color: #FF0000"> The OP or the COP? OP- They took a risk and denied enemy movement and terrain from which to engage the COP. It completely rerouted the Taliban and made them work harder. It showed the locals that the new unit was actually taking the fight to the enemy. I know of no truly text book defensible position in a valley, Cpt. Kearney agrees with you in his statement about "why even have Hesco barriers when they don't stop the rounds coming from up the mountain". Not an easy task. I'd say he did a fine job as a company commander essentially on his own, given what he had to work with. COP- they didn't go on traveldeals.com and choose the place, they were sent there. The area was decisive for building/infrastructure operations as well as being a major Taliban stronghold. To completely leave the place in the hands of the Taliban would have been a tactical mistake on every level. Concessions sometimes have to be made against the possibility of losing soldiers versus accomplishing the task. They did their best with what they had. Again, ideal? No, but they don't call A'stan the Graveyard of Empires for nothing. </span>

</div></div>

Keep in mind, this was just footage of one platoon from an entire brigade. One platoon in the middle of nowhere, in what was one of the worst places to be in A'stan, in some of the shittiest terrain one would ever think to have to fight in. Walking up those grade % just with a vest sucks beyond belief. Add ammo, water, food, etc. No joy. The neck/groin thing is pretty much answered with the current issuing of plate carriers due to the nature of the fight there. For some areas, plate carriers make no sense as so much is done mounted and the possibility of really big IEDs exists. In other areas, a commander that insists on bundling up into a protective personal armor bundle is a stupid fucking commander and is degrading his manpower and their ability to fight effectively. Taliban don't wear vests. Taliban don't need rucks because they walk a kM back home and sleep in their bed and eat by the cooking fire. Taliban grew up walking those mountains and they are fucking billy goats on them. Can't take the fight to the enemy when he can out maneuver you because he is carrying a few mags, an RPG or two, and despite poor diet and a lifetime of smoking can move like no other.

The documentary was just a pixel of the giant billboard that is the Army. many of the things in it would not have happened in most other units. But most other units weren't in BFE with little support and terrain like that. </div></div>

Some of your points are valid. Guess I'm used to my old unit's law of the land so to speak. Like I said, wasn't looking for a pissing contest, I don't wanna see any service member, regardless of branch get hurt or killed. I was frustrated with this, mainly because quite a few soldiers were killed in our AO because they were not wearing PPE or not wearing it properly. A few died simply because they were hot and took off PPE and opened the window to their humvee while traveling down a known IED death road. I know how much it sucks wearing all the crap, but the one time you don't have it on is whats gonna get ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackal_5_Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackal_5_Actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched it the other night, and am somewhat confused and would like some Army vets to explain since we did things alot differently. I am in no way trying to instigate a branch vs branch argument. Just looking for answers.

</div></div>

The documentary was just a pixel of the giant billboard that is the Army. many of the things in it would not have happened in most other units. But most other units weren't in BFE with little support and terrain like that. </div></div>

Some of your points are valid. Guess I'm used to my old unit's law of the land so to speak. Like I said, wasn't looking for a pissing contest, I don't wanna see any service member, regardless of branch get hurt or killed. I was frustrated with this, mainly because quite a few soldiers were killed in our AO because they were not wearing PPE or not wearing it properly. A few died simply because they were hot and took off PPE and opened the window to their humvee while traveling down a known IED death road. I know how much it sucks wearing all the crap, but the one time you don't have it on is whats gonna get ya. </div></div>

+1 on that.

One of the grunts in my BN got his face sheared off when he was driving his Bradley open hatched in summer. The medic that worked on him said it was the sickest injury he has ever seen and that medic was in the invasion treating all sorts of stuff. I'd never seen Doc smoke cigarettes until that day.

Just saw it on Blu Ray , its worth the 1.5 hours of watchtime if you havent seen it. I read the book first "WAR" by Sebastian Younger, it was kinda of cool to read a book then watch the documentary with the the actual people and places you just read about in book, cool concept imho.

This is on Netflix instant if any of you haven't seen it yet, pretty good show

I want to see it but cant seem to find the DVD anywhere.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to see it but cant seem to find the DVD anywhere..... </div></div>

If you have netflixs you can stream through tv, blu ray(if Internet ready),any gaming system or puter

Btw I though it was very good

Oops guess I should read more then on op b4 responding(need more sleep)

I read War last summer and watched the movie last night with my son that is leaving for boot camp in a couple of weeks. I was in Afghanistan (June 2008 - June 2009) when all this took place so the operations are still very vivid to me to include one aspect of the movie that was discussed at the end, the nine soldiers that were killed at Wanat.

The movie is very powerful for people that have been in those areas and I think it is a great movie to show the closeness of the people in the platoon. It is a movie that shows the "fog of war" and the difficulties of losing close friends.

Seen a ad for it to show on national geographic channel 8pm est. I have charter cable so it's channel 46 here in se mich. Just a heads up to those that wanted to watch. I'm sure it's language is chopped

Having seen both Restrepo and Armadillo, I'd suggest getting your hands on a copy of Armadillo.

Personally I thought it was more engaging and interesting. It follows a platoon of Danish soldiers, so be prepared for subtitles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to see it but cant seem to find the DVD anywhere..... </div></div>

KY338, do you have a cable on-demand package? I know that you can order Restrepo on the Nat Geo channel. Just another option for you. Great movie. Saw it in Manhattan in the fall. Sobering.

bought this on DVD last week, wasn't bad viewing. Definately worth buying

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to see it but cant seem to find the DVD anywhere..... </div></div>

KY338, do you have a cable on-demand package? I know that you can order Restrepo on the Nat Geo channel. Just another option for you. Great movie. Saw it in Manhattan in the fall. Sobering.</div></div>

This is exactly what I did, if you have Insight Cable here in Lexington it is on the On Demand "Free Spot" for free

+1 Great Movie

Watched this the other night. It was good. I liked the video footage much more than previous footage that I had seen. Great story, worth watching!!!

I caught this over the weekend on Nat Geo. It was a sobering view at the level of PTSD that a lot of today's grunts come home with. Good portrayal of actual events / reactions, without any spin.

You can get it online with a P2P or bittorrent client ...if you're into that sort of thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cluebat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having seen both Restrepo and Armadillo, I'd suggest getting your hands on a copy of Armadillo.

Personally I thought it was more engaging and interesting. It follows a platoon of Danish soldiers, so be prepared for subtitles. </div></div>

http://vimeo.com/11782095

Will be watching this this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

I watched Restrepo Last weekend. I thought it was refreshing to get the real story at the FOB as opposed to the media's tilt on the war. I have not experienced combat. This example should enlighten some of the folks about the realities.
Rthur

I have no military experience so this question is geared specifically toward military or ex-military personnel who have served over seas and have more knowledge and experience than someone like me. While watching Restrepo I could not help but notice that most of the soldiers said the most difficult part was to win the harts and minds of the civilian population. They were frustrated that the terrorists were hiding among the civilian population and sometimes air strikes were ineffective due to collateral damage. The collateral damage polarized the civilian population against the U.S making it more difficult for U.S soldiers to establish relationships with the civilian population and this further put our soldiers in danger and harms way. In the video outpost Restrepo seemed to me like it was a superior position due to it's elevation and it had a great view of the hostile area (the village and the hills above that the terrorists were hiding in). So instead of air strikes I was wondering why they would not assign a well trained and well equipped sniper team with heavy caliber rifles that can reach beyond 2000 yards? The area that the air strikes took place in never seemed to be more than 2500 yards from US soldiers. These sniper teams could then study enemy movements without the enemy even knowing, and then they could engage targets during day time without the risk of indiscriminate fire and collateral damage. This would likely stop enemy movement during daytime and have an impact on enemy morale and psychological state of mind. Fear of snipers would likely compel the enemy to switch to night time operations in hopes that the cover of darkness will keep them safe. Once this happens deploying Apache helicopters with that state of the art infrared(saw the video on youtube and was impressed at the level of detail and clarity they had during night time operations) to engage the targets, without the terrorists knowing what hit them. Even during day time well trained sniper teams could pick up on enemy movement outside the village and call in effective air strikes without endangering the civilian population. I might be way off but this to me would be an effective strategy because it would give the U.S troops the ability to identify hostiles while they are armed and in the field and not hiding amongst the civilian population. If there are any military guys that can comment on here, I would really be interested in your opinion. Thank you and sorry for the long post but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watched Restrepo Last weekend. I thought it was refreshing to get the real story at the FOB as opposed to the media's tilt on the war. I have not experienced combat. This example should enlighten some of the folks about the realities.
Rthur </div></div>

You watched a movie. A movie by NatGeo is "the Media". There are multiple facets of media and you won't agree with all of them. Plenty of facets of the media try to tell the story impartially without making their own implications.

I finally got a chance to see it.

Its nice, for once, to see something about the war that DOESNT have a political slant or agenda.

To the guys that made it, and the guys in Co. B, 2/503rd PIR, my hats off.

I would be interested in what tilt you thought NatGeo put on this program CourageWolf?
Rthur

Our shop watched this as a looking at our job, and what we will see, kinda thing.

It was a sobering moment to say the least.

Oh, to follow this up, i talked with a SSgt at NTC who was there at restrepo for the first couple months they filmed. The camera guy evidently wore this absolutely dipshit blue painted helmet, like OpFor actually gave a damn that he was a civilian videographer out there....

Watching Armadillo now. What is with the "old-salt" platoon leader leaning on his M4 with muzzle in the dirt? Not like he has it on his boot, but who rests a loaded rifle muzzle-down on their boot anyways? Seen this guy with full beard do this a couple times before at about 1hr in he puts full weight on his muzzle using rifle as a crutch to stand up....

Pretty clever carrying the metal detector to check for mines before standing on door threshold...

Watched this last night... was good to see some reality.

Im a little shocked at how much effort is put into community awareness... i dunno i guess i have a negative view on trying to educate savages.

Probably check out Armadillo tonight.

I have been looking for a blue ray version of the video but dont really know if it was filmed in HD. Great video and definately worth buying.

Bought the companion book Infidel (isbn 9781905712182) by Tim Hetherington, impressive work.

A little late on this, but if anybody is looking for a DVD copy of Restrepo, I just picked up a copy at Best Buy. It was in their documentary DVD section for 15 bucks.