• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Results Odessa FV 200yd F-Class August 7th

STP

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2002
Watkins Glen, NY
A smaller group today...some of our regulars had conflicts, but the F-T/R group was hotly contested per usual.

<span style="font-weight: bold">F-Open </span>

1. JdaSr. 197-23V (6BRX)
2. STP 183-10V (243 Win)

<span style="font-weight: bold">F-T/R </span>

1.Tom 196-20V
2. Whisky 190-18V
3. Chris 189-15V
4. darkvibe 188-16V
5. Eli 179-7V
6. Sled 175-7V

We were delighted to see 2 new friends today to shoot with us.
Both were well equipped and prepared for the match. Maybe they will post a comment or two as to how they viewed the day?

Thanks!

Scott

Re: Results Odessa FV 200yd F-Class August 7th

Conflicts? What conflicts? The regulars on the little end worked well together both shooting and coaching each other when needed.

If you were talking about the discussion on scoring....well its your match and you can score it anyway you want. I just mentioned that it has been my experience that when there are multiple calibers shooting as in highpower and F-class matches where you have .30 cal, 6mm and .22 cal shooters the scoring of a close shot by the smaller cal. is done with a"plug" or overlay. This then scores the shot by the center of the hole which evens the field for all the shooters.
We have at least 3 different calibers shooting these matches and It would seem more fair for someone to get scored by where the shot was actually placed on the paper and not by the diameter of the hole. Rant off now.

I did have a great time shooting today and it was nice to see some new faces.

I was referring to the regulars that <span style="font-style: italic">did not attend </span>.

Oops...
blush.gif

I enjoyed the match very much. I felt welcome by the regulars and am looking forward to returning in the future. Thanks again.

Scott,

Another great day. Not so much my scores, but great trigger time.

Where was Greg to compete with me for last place? I have got to get this figured out....

I'm going to see if I can rig up something to get me a longer LOP for the next match. Maybe that will help not having my elbow pinned up so tight? At least I'm starting to be able to feel when a shot is good versus bad. Problem is it is after the fact. Now I need to start preventing the bad ones.

Whisky - it was nice meeting you. If you want to try to carpool sometime, let me know.

Scot, if you havn't trashed our targets from yesterday hang on to Tom and mine
I kind of agree with Tom's view on the scoring being an advantage for larger calibers
not advocating a change in our system nor complaning, just would like to compare those two targets with worst edge scoring instead of best edge that we now use
there is a lively discussion over on benchrest.com on a new system of scoring using different size bulls for the different calibers
don't think any of us shoot with that degree of accuracy, that we need to get that carried away but everyone is getting
a lot better
does make for some interesting reading

Hey Greg, here's a good project for you to do while you'r
not feeling up to snuff
design a caliber adjusted f class target for us
seriously, hope you are feeling better soon Steve really missed you yesterday as did we all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDA Sr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scot, if you havn't trashed our targets from yesterday hang on to Tom and mine
I kind of agree with Tom's view on the scoring being an advantage for larger calibers
not advocating a change in our system nor complaning, just would like to compare those two targets with worst edge scoring instead of best edge that we now use
there is a lively discussion over on benchrest.com on a new system of scoring using different size bulls for the different caliber I
don't think any of us shoot with that degree of accuracy, that we need to get that carried away but everyone is getting
a lot better
does make for some interesting reading</div></div>

I think what I am trying to say is that when we measure a group size we measure it from center to center, not from outside edge to outside edge. If we did measure a group that way, everyone would be shooting .17 calibers for competition just for the advantage.

I'm not so bad off, and it's not the usual issues.

I've been dealing with a pair of abscesses and the free clinic (which ain't free, by the way, unless you're a migrant worker)dentist won't pull the teeth. I think he doesn't want to work on me to that extent with my other issues, so he's referring me to an Oral Surgeon.

Meanwhile he's put me on Clindamycin, I've been on it since last Tuesday, and it's working well with the infections; but it's also tearing my stomach lining up, and sleep is suffering significantly. Antacids have no effect, and painkiller exacerbate the issue. So after several nights of very short sleep in a row, I decided I was probably too far out of it to be trusted with firearms, and took the more cautious approach. It was a last minute decision as I was considering getting my butt in gear and loading my 'stuff' into the car. I called Scotty so he'd have the facts in case anyone was worrying about little me.

'One; I hear your pain. John, I hear your logic. But this is just precisely the kind of rule-related hairsplitting Scotty and I agreed we would avoid at most cost when he brought this program to light. So, the question is, if we allow this, what do we have to allow next?

Seriously, BR-COM has its ways and more power to 'em, but we're not them. I'd walk a mile (and you know how poorly I walk) not to become them. So basically, it won't be me doing any of that. 'One, I'm not measuring groups, and my understanding is that these are 'for score' targets, and groups are not part of the scoring. You break a line, you get the higher score, you want to shoot bigger holes, be my guest. I really don't see shooting a larger caliber as being an advantage simpy because it makes bigger holes. The bigger chamberings come whith their own additional problems, so I see any advantage as somewhat illusary.

I like and appreciate the premiums we all competed for in the Dark Eagle match, and although it used our targets and COF, I never considered it to be one of our regular matches. Our matches do not have any tangible recognitions for achievement, it's all strictly on a personal satisfaction basis. This is for a very definite reason. Such premiums promote a competitive atmosphere, and the lack of such is the thing I treasure most about our matches. Please forgive my tenacity at resisting anything that I fear might change that.

When I founded the NJ MCL Shooting Competition program, I followed precisely this path. It was only after my decision to retire as Chairman that prizes, certificates, placques, etc. began to be awarded. The tone and spirit of the entire program changed with that, and is one of the reasons I no longer travel to NJ to compete. That time in the Novitiate would appear to have put a stubborn ascetic streak into me. But by that same token, it can still produce a desirable atmosphere; the one we currently enjoy, and the one I choose to do what I can to promote.

No, my front burner project is already well underway, and it's a rimfire target to parallel/simulate the FV200 target. They are already designed, some have been printed, and they would have been christened Sunday had I been better suited to the task. There is also a Palma-style target designed for rimfire at the same distance, which is 80yd.

Essentially, the targets take the scoring rings and diminish them to 50%. The distance is 80yd, a bit less than half the FV200 distance. That distance was chosen because it corresponds to pretty close to most of the times of flight that our C/F rifles are generating at 200yd. It's challenging, and honestly, if your .22LR rifle will hold inside a 1/2" V-Ring circle at 80yd, my hat's off to you. At 80yd, wind is also clearly an issue with .22LR's.

The Palma target, like the real thing, uses the larger scoring rings, has a much larger dark aiming area, but is also scored on the 5/V basis, like this new RFV target.

Rimfire also includes other chamberings besides .22LR. These compose the RFV-Open Class, as well as .22LR on a rest. Bipods/.22LR qualify as RFV/TR, and slings, any R/F chambering, constitute AROS and are fired on the Palma Target. Same targets for Irons/slings/.22LR, which is the only combination allowed for RFV-Palma.

Time and weather permitting, the river don't rise, and my clunky ole bod don't interfere, I should get some of this stuff tested in the next coupla weeks.

Greg

I can't help but keep tabs once an a while on what I'm missing out on.

A suggestion of caliber specific targets is always an idea but............. I feel it would take away from the very casual club level / learning enviroment that Scott is hosting.

I shoot occasionally at another place, we use caliber specific targets and it really levels the playing field but we run our own set of rules. We shoot pistols, 22rf, all center fire and to add interest to the shoot everyone has to shoot steel at 100yds off hand for extra points not matter the caliber or firearm. Really makes things interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDA Sr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Greg, here's a good project for you to do while you'r
not feeling up to snuff
design a caliber adjusted f class target for us
seriously, hope you are feeling better soon Steve really missed you yesterday as did we all </div></div>

I'm not talking about hair splitting rules here. Its about equalizing the playing field. The match as I understand it, is about getting shooters into the realm of F-class shooting.

If that is true then how do the real F-class matches score their targets? I myself have not had the chance to shoot one yet, but I will.

Do they use an "overlay" or "plug" or not?

No.

They cut lines, and are scored as such whatever their caliber. Our scoring method, on fact, duplicates the regular F Class methods.

I appreciate your view, but I like mine better.

Greg

I'm curious what target are you guys using?

We are using a privately designed target that simulates the 800-1000yd NRA Highpower target, with the F Class overlay, sized in identical MOA values for use at 200yd, and substitutes the older 5/V scoring for the current 10/X scoring system.

I designed and print these targets for our club, and to the best of my knowledge we are the only ones using them.

There may be similar ones elsewhere, it's really not anything revolutionary, and I don't feel personally that there's any intellectual property issues to be worried about. But it's also Scotty's match, and if he feels otherwise, I'm with him.

This is a club match drawing a small, loyal group of local shooters, and there are no illusions of grandeur here. We have a very good time, and we use this forum as ours for informational purposes.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

They cut lines, and are scored as such whatever their caliber. Our scoring method, on fact, duplicates the regular F Class methods.

Greg</div></div>

That was the answer I was looking for. So to get the best possible scores in F-class it would be to everyones advantage to shoot the largest allowable caliber so you can mathematically have the smallest group.
It just doesn't make sense that you can shoot better than your competitor, but still lose the match just because of your caliber.
I guess the F-class world still has some catching up compared to the Highpower and Benchrest scoring.

It is still fun and I'll keep at it, but I may just be building a new rifle this winter.

Great time as always.

I drove through Watkins Glen on the way home (because I had NO idea how to go any other way) and traffic was not bad at all. I guess the NASCAR fans were mostly inside the track.

Thanks for putting these matches together Scott.

Yeah the NASCAR track traffic starts when there are about 15 laps left. The race is always on local FM radio. Yesteday's race ended pretty much at 5PM on the button.

Tom your points are all good, and I agree with them. But this ain't benchrest, and I don't want it to get like benchrest. It is its own unique animal, and I happen to prefer the breed rather fervently.

Other folks can do other things differently, I'd rather do this. Of all the ways I've seen, this works the best for me; even though I tend to be a bottom feeder. When I lose, and I lose a lot, I'm not losing the farm. A steady diet of defeat can be kinda discouraging, this way, for me, not so much...

Works for me...

Don't get me wrong, I don't like defeat any more than the next guy. This way, it just doesn't sting quite so bad. Am I making <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> sense?

Greg

Greg,

I heard Scott say you called to say you couldn't make it, but I didn't hear why. Hope you feel better soon!

Greg, Its all good with me. If no one else has any complaints, then who am I to whine about it.
I've only just scratched the surface with my f-class endeavors.

I have only been shooting for 40 years now and still have a ways to go. I learn something new everyday and will continue to try to perfect my game. I don't have a "second best" in my vocabulary as I am probably TOO competitive then is good for me.

We talk about these matches as "just for fun", but we all have thousands of dollars and hours invested, not to take them seriously.

When I lose a match, I need to know why I lost. Was it me? Was it my equipment? Or was it something out of my control?
Most days its me, but more and more I am finding its things out of my control. All I can do is up my game until there isn't any doubt or conflict in the results.

Hope you are feeling better and we will see you at the next match.

So are the proposed rimfire matches going to be run concurrent with the centerfire or before or after
if the time alloted is going to be the same i see no problems
it might bring in some more new shooters, especially younger ones
before things get taken out of context, i am perfectly happy with the way things are run and scored at Odessa. See no reason to change anything
if i want to rescore my own target for my own satisfaction, it's nobodies business but my own

What I think about the 'when' is, it can run out to the side of the covered line and follow the same relay time limits. The only interference is that oviously a shooter can't shoot both courses in the same relay.

Other than that, Scotty and I haven't really talked this out and I flatly refuse to cut anything in stone until we have, not even about whether or not it will even happen at all. I will not let this thing have any kind of negative impact on the main event.

Also, there will be a donation/fee, identical to the main, for the club's benefit.

Really guys, you're rushing me; this is not yet a done deal. I hope to get the targets proved out before the next match, and if there's any event then it will be very basic, TR/Open, and dass'all. I'll try to keep the notification in sync with Scotty's one week in advance warning order sequence.

This is probably going to be a very busy week for me.

For one thing, I'm sending Celia South to Florida for a week plus with Granddaughter Elena Marie on Tuesday. Celia's Niece is getting married in Ft. Lauderdale. I stay home and bach' it. I'll be worrying about them the whole time.

Greg

I was one of the new shooters Saturday. Great match, and thanks for the pointers. Looks like I have a long way to go. I do have a bolt action .22 that I could put my scope on and use for a side match, so I'd definitely be interested in that if it happens. I could probably learn a lot that way. I just wish there were matches like this closer to Rochester, but at least this is manageable. Thanks again!

-Eli

I was just doing a little comparison as a bit of knowledge for anyone that doesn't get what I have been ranting about:

If you are shooting the following calibers and measuring the score from the near edge of the hole to the scoring line, as we are here at odessa with a 2in. 5 ring. Here is the size of your groups...If they are all touching the 5 ring.

.308 cal. = 2.308
.244 cal. = 2.244
.224 cal. = 2.224

If we scored all calibers from the center then everyone would have to shoot a 2.308. Seems fair, but thats just a thought.

rocdoc, glad you had a good time hope you can make lots of the matches
Greg, i think the rimfires at 80 yds will be a real eye opener for reading the wind. should be a real challenge
i'll bring my 22 for the next match, just in case we have time for a tryout
targets could be set up in the same lanes as center fire cause the centerfires will shoot right over the top
the grass might not be so great in case of rain or snow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

Greg</div></div>
Greg, check out this site:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf

Refer to the first 2 paragraphs of sec.22 then go to sec.14 for target scoring.

So I got the book version wrong. I'm not changing the targets. We are arguing rules; which I have already stated I flatly refuse to do. You want to argue rules, try someone else.

Give it a rest. Please.

End of my input on the subject.

John;

I agree, the 80yd rimfire should indeed be an eye opener. That was the intention with the FV200 target and I think it achieved the desired effect.

OK, I'm gonna cave just this once. If you guys want to shoot the rimfire targets, they'll be there. But this will not be a match, and if it conflicts with the main event, I'm gonna shut it down. It will be a test run to see if the targets, classes, and COF are workable, and there will be no fee. It also means I'll be kinda busy, and will probably not be able to spare the attention to enter the main match.

I'll be bringing my Mossberg 44 bolt/irons gun, and will probably be trying out the RFV-Palma target, albeit fom a bench and a rest; as I don't have the ability to shoot with a sling due to this vershlugginer shoulder of mine. You're welcome to try it too, if you have the appropriate .22LR with irons and (we'll waive this for this time if necesary) sling.

Greg

rocdoc, glad to hear you enjoyed it. I know what you mean about the travel, I'm about the same distance but opposite direction. But what makes this event special is the group that attends. I've watched some events at a local range here, and it seems like most people show up, keep to themselves, shoot, and leave. The atmosphere at these events is much different.

For example, I got some good pointers from Sniperone this weekend. If you are willing to listen, you can learn while you are there. I try to absorb all I can from all of the good shooters there. It helped me a lot last summer, but somehow I have regressed over the winter.

Congrats to JDASr and Tom for some great scores; anytime you post scores in the mid 190's things are working right.
Welcome Whisky, you've found a good group of people to shoot with.

I missed the match due to a Friday night celebration of one of our own Hide members Birthday, his wife served up 16 racks of ribs. I was crawling out of bed about the time you guys hit the firing line.
Ask Jim about his new .308 and the Birthday Scope he got!
See you all at the next match.

Hi just lurking I enjoyed the match. And I am learning all the time. We all need to learn proper safty. proper shooting and proper scoring. Im confused about the scoring. I realy dont khow how to score my own target or anyone else's. Everyone has been very helpful teaching me the proper way to shoot and I thankyou and appreciate it very much. But what is the proper way to score. ??

Holy Hillbilly! Is that you Chris? Or is your kid typing?

As for the scoring.....Well, your guess is as good as mine.

Your going to have to ask an expert about that.

Welcome to the "Hide". There is more knowledge on this site then in three barbershops and a taxi.

scoring seems to be a touchy subject right now,probably something you could learn about at a later date

This whole dialogue has me on edge about getting involved in running anything new. I had politely asked for the topic regarding scoring to get a rest and it still kept coming up. It's things like this that I firmly refuse to deal with. Not upset, but still kinda disappointed.

I have neither the constitution nor the inclination to be placing myself into the path of controversy. That's what I've been working on divesting myself from over the past few years. I will not place myself in the path of potential aguments such as this one which I was just trying to avoid. To put a fine point on it, given the choice, I choose the path of least resistance. I'm not up for anything even vaguely energetic.

Right now, I'm inclined not to move any further on this RFV proposal, and will not be coaxed into getting ahead of myself.

I've said rather enough and maybe more than that regarding how the FV200 program should or shouldn't be operated, and it's really not my place to be speaking for others, Scotty in particular.

Do not look for any further references to .22LR FV from me in the near future. And before anybody asks, I'll not be handing out any of the provisional RFV targets. The subject is dead for the present.

Greg

Greg, We do not want you upset for any reason. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty with your knowledge of shooting and everything else that keeps us mortals on the straight and narrow.

Don't take this whole discussion on scoring out of context, what I'm saying is that you are not even the one scoring the targets, Scotty is, and for whatever reason he has refrained from responding to any of these posts.

I know Scotty knows the proper way to score a bullseye target and told me at the match that he has a "plug" of his own. Why it isn't being utilized...I don't know. I believe in my heart that I am speaking for all the shooters out there that are expecting a fair scoring system for everyone and that is what we all thought was happening at Odessa. Most of us score our targets after we go down range and retrieve them, be it for bragging rights or to just to see how poorly we have shot.

The conflict has came after the scores have been posted on the thread and they don't match what we seen at the match.

I am speaking for myself when I say that I have been in the shooting sports for many years and several of those were at the national level.
There is only one way to score these targets fairly and that was covered several posts ago.

We sure don't want you to stop your quest for a .22 match as we all know how much it means to you. You brought the .22 match into this discussion and it looks to me that there is alot of interest in it. Maybe you could start a new thread about it and keep it going, away from all this.
I consider both of you as friends of mine and I cannot find any reason why this discussion doesn't come to a conclusion on a positive note. That is the only reason I have kept it going above board for everyone to see the final outcome.

Tom

OK, here's the positive note I seek.

I don't want to be seeing Scotty being hassled over any aspect of this match. Whether it was clear or not, that was the point I was trying to drive home. I'm too old to be wasting any of my remaining time dwelling on anything negative, but where Scotty is concerned, I like to think I can be his junkyard dog if he feels he needs one. I can sure think like one, and even sound like one, it when things get beyond that, that I tend to fall spectacularly short. So nobody's perfect, none of us.

Scotty's reticence is not surprising. In my experience, he will choose to talk or not talk, and his reason are good enough for me, whether or not he cares to share them with me. STP stands for Scott The Phantom, and that goes a long way toward explaining his reticence. It is his natural state. He does what he does, he does it his way, and explanations really aren't due.

Everything was running smoothly for a couple of years until this scoring question came up. It becomes rather apparent that something odd may have happened in my absence, about which I know nada. Personally, I don't know what he employs to score, I really don't care, and in my opinion, the decisions of the judge are final, whatever they are. I'm leaving it at that, and I'm not interjecting anything further into the situation. I wasn't even there.

Regarding plugs, overlays, bullet holes, and target lines in the pits during LR F Class comp, I have competed at 1Kyd on the Regional and National level as well, and I have never seen these implements being employed in the pits. Yeah, apparently they're on the books; but you could never tell from what I've seen. BTW, we shared those lines and pits with the National Palma Teams contingents. My viewpoint on that is if they aren't used all of the time, they shoudln't be used any of the time.

My experience with running organized, coordinated programs, not inconsiderable, has taught me that perceptions and expectations can and often do differ. This is a club event. We can do anything differently from widely held expectation, should we choose to do so.

IMHO, rules are for people who feel a need to have fairness defined for them. I understand such reasoning, and the comfort it conveys.

I don't try to do that because, honestly, I consider fairness to be an overly cherished myth. Life (and shooting competitions) have on occasion been mighty unfair to me, and I have found myself with little, if any, recourse. I'd rather just say, the decisions of the judges are final, and trust the individual human process, and allow some personal judgement, rather than one which was hammered out by a committee. I trust individual integrity, especially Scotty's, whole orders of magnitudes more than anything that was designed by a rules committee. In my view, the rules are best which are fewest. Less bickering all around. Be advised, this is the context under which our club's FV200 program was devised. We put it out there, warts 'n all, and people still seem to like it.

My reluctance to proceed with any rimfire initiatives, no matter how much time, heart, and effort have already been expended, is because I simply don't think I could handle being in a position of responsibility if a debate similar to what occurred here previously were to be laid at my feet. Seen in such a potential light, I'd rather just chuck the whole thing. I wouldn't favor passing the project on to another because I have my own ideas about how it should be done, especially with regard to the spirit of things. Much of what I've been conveying recently reflects those ideas, and I just don't know if I could trust someone else to safeguard those ideas and stand by them in time of challenge. I do know I couldn't when I retired from the NJ MCL Comp Shooting Chairman's position. The spirit of what I wanted to see continue went by the wayside very early on.

For my own satisfaction, I may pursue some details of the .22RFV idea, I may not. I also have my model airplanes, which have recently become the cement of a strong bond with my Grandson, who rather badly needs some positive adult attention right now.

I'm not upset with anyone or anything. If I were to be it would be with situations, and not personalities. Tom; I enjoy your company and greatly value your contributions to what we all do. Never permit yourself to think I'm disturbed by you or your viewpoints. I know sometimes I'm an odd duck, and I don't find this truth in any way disturbing. I'm stuck being who I am. Ain't we all?

Greg

While I do check scores when I get back to Rochester its not so much to see where I stand in the group. Yes its a match, but I am more interested in improving each month. Getting feedback from Scotty, Curt, Kevin and all the other fine shooters keeps me coming back to Odessa. My first matches at Odessa yielded scores in the 160-170's, as time went by I clawed my way up to shooting 194-20V, can I squeeze more out of this GAP & FGMM, I think so. I put 12 rounds into a 1 inch group at 200yds Friday, problem was though it was 1 inch to the right of the V. Here's where I need coaching,at what point do I make a scope adjustment or do I favor the left side of the V ring, how do I make match time/real time adjustments? Once you see a trend of 3-4 rounds going a bit right is it wind, scope, shooter? I think my trigger pull is straight with follow through. This is the fun stuff, solving problems and improving marksmanship.

And that, right there, takes priority in my scheme of things.

We can imbue this event with as much intensity as each wishes, but I think it functions best when that wick is turned down to a minimum.

Those who observe me know I'm never gonna win, it's not one of my priorities, and it's good that it isn't where I'm concerned. I am there to share in the cameradery. Winning isn't only secondary, it's not in my scheme at all.

I have my trophies and certificates from a very pleasant competition career, and now I like to set aside and let/help the newer shooter get some of that stuff to. In fact I find my own intensity level is highest when my only competition is my own previous performance. I don't need to look up a score on the internet to see that, it's obvious right through the riflescope, long before the targets come down for official scoring.

I can certainly understand other degrees of intensity, I think there are limits, and I think they stop just short of allowing details to outweight the overall picture.

Greg

I can see continuing this is futile. Us peashooters will resign to being at a disadvantage here. I'll score my own target for my own satisfaction and let the rest be what it may.
Semper Fi