• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reticle seems canted......

base

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
San Francisco, Ca
I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. When I mount the scope on my rifle using the Wheeler Level kit the MilDot reticle seems canted slightly counter clockwise when viewed. I've sent the scope back to Vortex and they assured me the scope is not canted. I've never really noticed this before I put on a scope mounted level. When I try to level the scope using the mounted level is when I notice it seems to be a cant. I guess before I had the mounted level I would just adjust the rifle with what seemed to be level using the reticle alone.

If the scope reticle is set correct and I mounted the scope to the rifle correct and level then it's just me right? Maybe I have my head tilted when laying up behind my rifle. When I'm in my house and looking down the hall through my scope using the level the reticle is noticeably canted left when compared to say a door edge in my house. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

Get out of your house, go to a range and drop a plumb line (string with a weight on it). Check your reticle is vertical from 100 yards. Job done. If you still see it as canted after that it is your position that needs to be addressed. Take the online tuition.

A lot of scopes has a slight cant to the reticle, that is within specs according to the manufacturer, Leupold used to have a -+2 degree spec on there lower level scopes, if one googles canted reticles in scopes I get about 7000+ hits and quite a few good ones to.

If Vortex has returned your scope stating that it´s fine well that only means with in spec according to them, one way to actually find out how canted the reticle is, would be to shoot the rifle at 100 yards/meters, then dial max elevation and shoot again, any error in the horisontal positioning of the Group indicates the amount of real cant in the reticle.

/Chris

Do you have a bubble level mounted on your scope. Use your wheeler bubble to level the top of the top turret. Mount the bubble. Go out and sight it for 100 yards, with the bubble level for each shot. Then shoot it at 200 yards and see if the group is directly below the center. That will tell if your scope is level with the gun. If the group moves left or right of the center of the target, then your scope isn't leveled to the rifle.

Once you do get the scope leveled to the rifle, hang the string down and observe if your reticle is vertical.

It is important to have the reticle plumb, but I am in the same boat as you. With any of my scopes exactly plumb(Leupold, NF, Weaver), they seem to be canted CCW. Its just my shoulder pocket and way I hold the rifle. For prone shooting rifles, a swivel bipod (Harris or Atlas) and its a non issue as can just pivot a bit. For my mountain rifles, ones I shoot offhand, it bugs the shit out of me. Considering most of my mountain shooting is sub 500, I just adjust the cant for my lop sided head. We are only talking minutes to maybe a degree and a half.

This is the reason I can not have one of those bubble levels on my rifle, I will never get a shot off. Spend too much time messing with the cant.

I do have a bubble mount on my scope. I will have to try the string method at the range next. Using the Wheeler Level Level Level and the scope mounted bubble level it shows everything correct. If the string method shows level than I'll know its me. Thanks all.

Reticle seems canted......

Check your scope tracking by running the elevation near max after you have zeroed your rifle. Shoot another group and check with the plumb line or a level to insure you're tracking true. I have found that using the Wheeler level in the bolt raceway can sometimes induce error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
could be the receiver isn't tapped to the axis of the vertical centerline. I have seen that before.