• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Retrofitting a used stock......

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
Had a buddy stop by wanting to know if I could fit a Boyds stock to his newly acquired Rem 223 Tactical. Stock was previously used on a Rem 700ML so there were a couple things that needed attention.

ytrFnD.jpg

Had to fill the ramrod slot and the notch for the bolt retention screw.
There were no provisions for a sling swivel in the stock so I epoxied in an aluminum bar that was then drilled and tapped for a stud.
rYMxcT.jpg

After some texture and color.
tBal2r.jpg

Turned out nice for what it is....

IT01xo.jpg

Wasn’t but a couple days and he was back wanting to know what could be done for better cheek weld. The thumbhole rollover cheek piece had me scratching my head.
Had never tried making anything out of Kydex before but that seemed like the way to handle this.

8vhNg2.jpg

Threaded brass inserts were installed.

RARth0.jpg

I molded a piece of .125” Kydex to the shape of the cheek piece.

MVX0rw.jpg

Height is adjustable by changing the black delrin spacers. He wanted 5/8 rise as a starting point.

hvOwU3.jpg

All in all it turned out pretty well.

......from a year or two ago.....

Have a friend that picked up a Rem 700 243 for deer killing and of course the factory stock sucked ass. I lent him a McM Classic until a suitable replacement could be found. Was able to locate a stock for small money but it needed some love......

My buddy dropped his rifle off thinking I was just going to remove my McM that he'd been using. I had been given the task of finding a stock if I could. He does not know yet that he's getting it back with this stock and for what I have into it I'm just going to gift it to him.

....from this....
6XV7be.jpg

....to this....
VbQOLK.jpg

....to this....
LHSb2E.jpg

KsX1ST.jpg

qo4HIf.jpg

When I received the stock it weighed 23.3oz. After rebedding, filling the barrel channel (it was a mag sporter originally I think), adding bedliner texture and painting she came in at 30.4oz, still nice and light.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude
Alumahyde thank you , it looks really good. Any idea on the durability of Alumahyde ? I was planning on doing a stock , for a hunting application.

The Alumahyde can be very hardy if you prep properly and let it have time to cure.
It can take 5-7 days to fully cure in household ambient temps. It will seem like it’s dry in 12 hours or so but will still be soft and easily damaged. I was able to get the time down to about 24hrs for a full cure in a hot box I made up. I hold the temp at 95 degrees and it sets up really well.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps