• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review my Remington 700

Derrick0188

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2013
Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308

I bought this Remington 700 earlier this year and its intended use was for target shooting. After reading the boards for awhile I decided the first thing to do was change the stock. The factory stock is cheap and hurts accuracy. I replaced it with a Bell and Carlson M40 Medalist. I did a quick camo job on the stock initially but didnt like it too well so I changed it to how it looks now. I also Duracoated the barrel, receiver, and rear of the bolt Tactical OD Green to give it a custom touch. The Duracoat came out very well and seems hard as a rock (although I don't feel like testing that theory out lol). The adjustable trigger that came with the gun was junk and wouldn't break where I wanted it to, so I installed a Timney flat trigger set at a very crisp 2lbs. I installed a EGW 20moa base, Burris Tactical 1" low rings, and a Bushnell Elite 10x40 scope. Everything has been torqued to specs. This is the first gun I bought solely intended for target shooting so I do appreciate opinions. I realize there is much more that I can do to the gun but that will all come in due time.

Here is how she shot after I put her all back together.

Im using the only ammo I can get right now which is bulk ammo. I picked up 200rds of Atomic Ammunition Nosler 168gr HPBT .308 to shoot until I can find some Amax. Here is my first 4 shot group at 100 yards. To be completely honest, im shooting 100 yards off a wobbly table. Im sure that with a more stable surface my groups would be better.

target_zps2bd62ded.jpg

20130803_151402sm_zps1c7238e8.jpg

20130803_151355sm_zps4f397fed.jpg

Very nice group, i would try shooting off of sand bags. You groups will get tighter..

Great first attempt. I would suggest shooting from the prone position, or a more solid bench. Second, learn to reload and invest in that equipment. Pick one load that wll reach out to at least 600 yards and shoot, shoot, shoot. Clean your factory barrel a few times thoroughly during the first few dozen shots. Accuracy comes from consistency. Consistency is key, practice.
Great job
Rob

Thanks for the reply's. Today im going to try my first 500 yard shot. According to my ballistics calculations, my bullet is going to drop around 65 inches. Hopefully the wind will have some mercy on me. I will post the results when I get back tonight.

Mine shot a 5" group at 600yd today, 4 shots went 3.1". I could use a more powerful scope, the Ballistic Mil dot reticle covered most of the bull.

You shot that with Atomic? I shoot custom loads and then Hornady 168 when I'm feeling lazy. My groups open up by .5 in at 100 when I switch to Atomic, not the best ammo but who can argue those groups. The stock Rem out of the box is a great gun, with load development 1/2 moa can be expected. Thats if you swap out the trigger :)

You shot that with Atomic? I shoot custom loads and then Hornady 168 when I'm feeling lazy. My groups open up by .5 in at 100 when I switch to Atomic, not the best ammo but who can argue those groups. The stock Rem out of the box is a great gun, with load development 1/2 moa can be expected. Thats if you swap out the trigger :)

Yes sir, I shot that using Atomic ammo. If I can shoot a .5moa group like that using atomic ammo consistently as I have done, what does that say about my rifle? I wonder what I can do with custom loads? My rifle feels very good when shooting. I didnt get to shoot 500 yards today like I had planned due to weather issues.

UPDATE: I finally found a box of Hornady 168gr AMAX. I am very disappointed about this ammunition. This stuff is supposed to be the next best to handloads or thats what ive been told. I could not get this stuff to group at all. I fired 3 shots of my Atomic (value) ammo directly after and shot the best group I have so far. Im loving this Atomic ammo. I dont know how to explain why my rifle likes the cheap stuff but im not going to argue with it. When I measure my groups im measuring from the center of the 2 farthest bullet holes. Is that correct? If so, I came up with 3/8 of an inch which = 0.375. I know its probably not pin point precise but it gives me a good idea of what im shooting.

target2_zps67a35f7c.jpg

I want to say it's similar to M852. LC brass, 41.5-42.0 grains of IMR 4895, Winchester [not CCI not sure] #34 primer, and 168 SMK. Looks like they've replaced the SMK with a Nosler bullet. I remember I had a box of Atomic and could have sworn it was a SMK. My bolt gun did not like it as much as other match ammo (like Hornady A-max) so I used mine on the standing stage of high power matches with my service rifle.

I want to say it's similar to M852. LC brass, 41.5-42.0 grains of IMR 4895, Winchester [not CCI not sure] #34 primer, and 168 SMK. Looks like they've replaced the SMK with a Nosler bullet. I remember I had a box of Atomic and could have sworn it was a SMK. My bolt gun did not like it as much as other match ammo (like Hornady A-max) so I used mine on the standing stage of high power matches with my service rifle.

I tried the 168 AMAX in my rifle and it wouldn't group at all. Im completely baffled by this. I have seem numerous people rave about the accuracy they get with AMAX, so I had to try it. The atomic ammo is right at home in my gun which is why im curious to see what its loaded with. Both the AMAX and Atomic were shot off sandbag. I shot the AMAX first (6 shots) and then just 3 with the Atomic. I have my target picture a few post back if you can see it. I was going to do 3 shot groups but after the first 3 AMAX were 1" and 2" apart I just fired 3 more into the same area. I stopped after 3 Atomic when they landed at under .5 inches. Im researching reloading equipment and im about to make a purchase which is why im so curious about all the load data.

Shoot what the gun likes. Don't stress if it is not what other rifles like. My 308 shoots FGMM 168gr well and Hornady 168 gr amax match very well. But, it shoots Winchester 150 gr PowerPoint (cheapest ammunition I can find locally- bought for brass and cheap range fodder) into one ragged hole. I don't get it but I'm not arguing with it either. We hand load for accuracy so that we can tweak the load to what our rifles like- and because we think we have higher standards than the manufacturers. If your rifle likes atomic, be grateful that it doesn't prefer ammunition from Barnes bullets...

I searched on Atomic's website and stumbled across the powder used. They claim its Hodgdon powder. So its probably Varget? Also, the brass is Nato 7.62x51, so I hope it wont be any more of a challenge to reload nato brass as I have heard. As it stands I have around 200 of this brass.

Last edited:
There is a lot to be gained by working up a load for your rifle. The groups you have shot with the Atomic ammo show that you have a shooter. An OCW work up will probably yield results as good, if not better.

OFG

I searched on Atomic's website and stumbled across the powder used. They claim its Hodgdon powder. So its probably Varget? Also, the brass is Nato 7.62x51, so I hope it wont be any more of a challenge to reload nato brass as I have heard. As it stands I have around 200 of this brass.

I could also be Hodgdon 4895. I highly doubt it's varget as it was marketed towards service rifle shooting. Varget is a little too slow burning for the M1a and .308 Garands. However they could have changed the recipe recently as they don't seem to be supplying the CMP anymore.

I had the same thing happen to me with a 700 i had it LOVED the PMC bulk ammo! like the 7-10 bucks a box stuff.... shot .5-.75 all day long at 100yd! the only thing is that when i got past 400yd it wouldnt ever hit its mark. To much vertical stringing (powder charge was not consistent) <--- I put it threw crono. speeds jumped 300-400 FPS

I would be interested in how yours dose on the 600yd marker.

I would be interested in how yours dose on the 600yd marker.

Im working on that. There arent many places for me to shoot that far. I do know of a 800 yards bench rest range but its about 1 1/2 hr away. I might have to head down there one weekend.

I've read elsewhere that Atomic could be varget, so perhaps I stand corrected. Maybe that's why my rifles didn't like it. It may be possible to pull a bullet and take a look at the powder and make a [loose] comparison based on size.

These all shot well out of my SPS-V the last few times I've been out with it.

168 amax, 43gr IMR 4064, CCI BR2, LC Brass, 2.81" OAL
168 smk, 43gr IMR 4064, CCI BR2, LC Brass, 2.81" OAL
175 smk, 42gr IMR 4064, CCI BR2, LC Brass, 2.81" OAL

Those will group 1/2 moa pretty easily. I stacked three of the 168 smk and three of the 175 smk in the same 50 cal sized hole at 100 yards, POI didn't change. I'm pretty sure that this gun does well with just about any ammo though, I didn't have any *bad* groups with any of the charges, just some good, and some great.

Shoot what the gun likes. Don't stress if it is not what other rifles like. My 308 shoots FGMM 168gr well and Hornady 168 gr amax match very well. But, it shoots Winchester 150 gr PowerPoint (cheapest ammunition I can find locally- bought for brass and cheap range fodder) into one ragged hole. I don't get it but I'm not arguing with it either. We hand load for accuracy so that we can tweak the load to what our rifles like- and because we think we have higher standards than the manufacturers. If your rifle likes atomic, be grateful that it doesn't prefer ammunition from Barnes bullets...

Mine loves that Winchester 150 gr PowerPoint, too. I thought it would be a good way to get brass and cheap practice, as well. I couldn't be happier.