• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review of the Leapers Over-Bore Bipod

That's one long-winded motherfucker.

Blah, blah, blah is the understatement of the year.

Sorry for my late entry. I've been on the water all day at a fishing tournament.

We won!

Well, let me be clear. We won the trash fish portion of it. We came in third overall.

I have shot with the UTG overbore and really liked it. Wasn't my rifle.
I've just never had a rifle that it could attach to, so I didn't buy one during it's very short lifespan.

Wow what a thread - based on the reading here I bought not only a UTG bipod but UTG bug buster scope and UTG QD rings - put them on a Savage rifle , dropped it all into a metal drum and burned them. And then paid $300 dollars over MSRP on some good vortex glass and mounted it on a Tikka rifle.

Last edited:
You don't have to be in combat to unintentionally abuse your gear. F-Class is basically prone bench rest shooting, and in terms of torturing your gear would be equivalent of being questioned by a social worker with your lawyer present.

Positional shooting is more like your gear being waterboarded at a black site. Very small chance it will kill it, but it's going to undergo stress. It's kjust a totally different animal where you are shooting and moving and throwing your rifle around. I've got $4000 scopes with dents. I've broken a leg off an Atlas when shoving the rifle into hole.

The tripod thing is another matter entirely. As someone who went from Slik with a Hog Saddle to an RRS with an anvil I can tell you that you are paying for a much higher level of stability. Like going from a Harris to a SEB front rest.

Any gear can be destroyed when run hard. There always diminishing returns when you reach the high end of anything, but the car analogy fails, because they're not selling durability. The bipods are, and when something is designed to be thrown out of a helo and survive the impact it's probably going to be able to handle my roughhousing in a match. Is that worth another $300? That's up to you, but to pretend that we're not paying for durability but style and a name is silly, because the people who compete and buy this gear actually use it as intended in adverse conditions, not prone on cut grass with sighters.

SH is very rough on gear reviews/opinions not because of snobbery, but because we are actually going to use and abuse the equipment, so coming in here with your limited knowledge and limited experience and trying to tell us we are wasting our money only makes you look like a fool.

And BTW

Fuck off you poor!

I know exactly how you feel, because I felt the same way, But I like this bipod.
I have the EI and the 4H, both of them are nice, and I wouldn't doubt they are stronger. But for the money they damn well better be. I like the 4H way more than the EI, but honestly for function and general purpose use, I like the UTG more than the EI. To be clear, not saying its better, or even stronger, just I like using it more. And plenty robust for the average guys use.
Solid endorsement coming from
You

Reactions: coldboremiracle
It’s not elitist. It’s a matter of the simple question.......will this product function like it’s supposed to when I need to every time.

have you ever relied on a weapon system for your life in the past or currently? I don’t look at equipment from a fun day at the range with my boys, I look at it from a would I trust my life to it.

it may very well be a decent product, but the Harris is cheaper. The military relied on the Harris for far too long. They finally woke up.

you get what you pay for. Check back with me after a few thousand rounds with it with some big bore calibers, some comps and a few hunting trips. Oh and Pan is not a feature I look for in a bipod. But that’s just me. It seems to me you bought a product and are look for justification of that purchase, instead you should be doing research before you buy and you will quickly learn from the 300 or so threads on bipods that cheap don’t go round here. No one recommends a magpul bipod. No one recommends a Harris.

im not knocking the product, it fills a void. I’m just saying hard pass. Made in China ain’t for me.

@coldboremiracle, good article. Well written. Any comment I have isn’t toward the article or OP, just the product.
Judging quality by price alone without even bothering to know more IS the definition of elitist. You should take your own advice and do some research…
You may find that a lot of equipment has features a lot of shooters never even get near to use, so why pay good hard earned cash for them?
There are rifle scopes that are certified for parachuting, 100 m immersion, and -60ºC to +70ºC environment, so what?
I do not parachute to my shooting range, I’m uneasy at 3 m deep and I do not function well in a much tighter temperature range, so who cares? Why pay 5000+ € for features that are irrelevant to my purpose when an 500-1000€ scope can do?
Not everybody can afford the price of a decent rifle just to get a bipod, and the bipod in the OP offers great performance for the price. I’d rather spend the money in ammunition and range time to better my skills, rather than trying to buy performance. Skill and practice trumps gadgets every time.
I pay for durability when I _need_ it, otherwise I’m very careful about how I spend my money, and so are others.
There are many who enjoy shooting sports but are on a limited budget, and your sneering at good performance/price ratio does nothing to help make good choices. The review does.

Last edited:
Reactions: coldboremiracle
Judging quality by price alone without even bothering to know more IS the definition of elitist. You should take your own advice and do some research…
You may find that a lot of equipment has features a lot of shooters never even get near to use, so why pay good hard earned cash for them?
There are rifle scopes that are certified for parachuting, 100 m immersion, and -60ºC to +70ºC environment, so what?
I do not parachute to my shooting range, I’m uneasy at 3 m deep and I do not function well in a much tighter temperature range, so who cares? Why pay 5000+ € for features that are irrelevant to my purpose when an 500-1000€ scope can do?
Not everybody can afford the price of a decent rifle just to get a bipod, and the bipod in the OP offers great performance for the price. I’d rather spend the money in ammunition and range time to better my skills, rather than trying to buy performance. Skill and practice trumps gadgets every time.
I pay for durability when I _need_ it, otherwise I’m very careful about how I spend my money, and so are others.
There are many who enjoy shooting sports but are on a limited budget, and your sneering at good performance/price ratio does nothing to help make good choices. The review does.

I see the problem. You're paying in Euros. That's worse than Canuckistan Loonie money.

You guys should go back to using Lire. Having Lire always made me feel super rich.

Anyway, I'm poor, so I make do with cheaper stuff. I seem to be able to shoot okay with my poors equipment.

I see the problem. You're paying in Euros. That's worse than Canuckistan Loonie money.

You guys should go back to using Lire. Having Lire always made me feel super rich.

Anyway, I'm poor, so I make do with cheaper stuff. I seem to be able to shoot okay with my poors equipment.
No, the problem is arguing in a 4 year old thread about the value proposition of a long since discontinued item.

No, the problem is arguing in a 4 year old thread about the value proposition of a long since discontinued item.
Arguing to a 4 year old post is stupid, of course.

But WTF are you talking about being discontinued? The subject of the thread definitely isn't. Bought one myself last fall; actually works pretty decently. My only complaint is they won't sell the rifle mounts separately, which is pretty shortsighted.

https://www.leapers.com/products-utg-tl-bpob01-a.html

Recently been considering getting one. Certain use cases make it make sense if you don't want to spend elite iron type money or have that size or weight.

How would you bipod this?
20191112_115431.jpg

This is available as well. Mounts in middle of forend.
mag799-blk_hunter_x-22_backpacker_optic_mount_01_1.jpg

Or Sbr one of these with a stock.
20191112_115913.jpg

Do they really require a bipod? Heck no. But how would you if you wanted to.

Arguing to a 4 year old post is stupid, of course.

But WTF are you talking about being discontinued? The subject of the thread definitely isn't. Bought one myself last fall; actually works pretty decently. My only complaint is they won't sell the rifle mounts separately, which is pretty shortsighted.

https://www.leapers.com/products-utg-tl-bpob01-a.html
Well hell. I was looking and couldn’t find one- and thought I saw a listing saying discontinued. If they are not, I’ll take another gander. Thanks!

Reactions: Yondering
Well hell. I was looking and couldn’t find one- and thought I saw a listing saying discontinued. If they are not, I’ll take another gander. Thanks!
Yeah they're worth checking out. Leapers doesn't have the best reputation (starting off as cheap chinese junk is rarely the best way to get a good rep) and I don't disagree with that in general, but this particular bipod is actually pretty solid. It is heavy though, and IMO suited well for heavy rifles but I'll still use a Harris for lighter stuff.

FWIW you can use it either over bore or under bore; I use it both ways depending on the rifle. Also made some pointy claw feet for mine, like what some companies sell for Atlas and other biopds, that helps a bit in the dirt. Besides, heat treated 17-4 PH claws just look cool. LOL

Also this bipod has both pan and tilt functions - the tilt is great, and can be tightened up enough. The pan is non-adjustable though, and something I wholly dislike. Solution - unscrew the socket head cap screw at the pan pivot, and remove the sliding friction washer underneath so it goes back together metal to metal. That locked mine in place to eliminate the panning.