• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Revised 100 & 200 YD Rimfire Internet Matches

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
REVISED 100 & 200 YARD LONG RANGE INTERNET SCHEDULE - RULES - MATCHES:
THIS WILL BEGIN IN AUGUST 2009 AND RUN CONTINUALLY EACH MONTH

Rules

100 Yard & 200 Yard - .22LR Rimfire - 30 Shot Match Rules;

1. This is open to all SH Forum members.

2. We will use the A21 Target for the 200 Yard Paper Match, and the TQ-4 Target for the 100 Yard Paper Match. Both Targets can be purchased from; http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/ or a dealer of your choice.

2a. We will use a 3.5 inch metal round disc for the "100 Yard Gong Match" and a 5x7 inch metal gong for the "200 Yard Gong Match"

3. You may use as many targets as you choose for your course of fire, (30 Shots), or you may use one target and score/repair it after every 10 shots. Target Pasters or masking tape may be used to repair targets between 10 shot relays. Just be sure to score your target first before repairing it.

4. Matches will be shot from the designated position outlined below in the Match Discription.

MATCH DISCRIPTION:

a. Match -100YP-TQ4 - (100 yards) "paper" Target TQ4 - Shot From Prone
b. Match -100YB-TQ4 - (100 yards) "paper" Target TQ4 - Shot From Bench
c. Match - 200YP-A21 - (200 yards) "paper" Target A21 - Shot From Prone
d. Match - 200YB-A21 - (200 yards) "paper" Target A21 - Shot From Bench
e. Match - 100YP-35RDP - (100 yards) "3.5 inch .22 Round Disc" - Prone
f. Match - 100YB-35RDB - (100 yards) "3.5 inch .22 Round Disc" - Bench
g. Match - 200YP-57GP - (200 yards) "5x7 inch gong" - Shot From Prone
h. Match - 200YB-57GB - (200 yards) "5x7 inch gong" - Shot From Bench

The butt of the rifle must be supported in your shoulder without any aids such as lock'in devices or sandbags, (though locking in with a sling is permissable). This Rule is for both "Prone & Bench" shooting. The use of a Bi-Pod, or Sandbags to support your rifle's barrel is allowed. You could also use a chunk or backpack to rest your rifle barrel on when shooting.

5. There will be two Classifications;

a. Class - OIS [Open Iron Sights which also include Peep Sights]
b. Class - SCOPE [There are no restrictions on power]

6. Posting your score(s):

Everyone taking part should post their score(s) in the following manner. If a thread has not been started to post your score(s) - just start a new thread with the Subject reading;

Subject: SH August 2009 Score's

and post your scores in that months' thread.

Name: John Doe
Class: Scope
Rifle: Savage Mark II FVT
Ammo: Federal 711B
Match: 200YB-57GB
Score: 29 of 30

Name: Jane Doe
Class: OSI
Rifle: Marlin 925
Ammo: Eley Sport
Match: 200YP-A21
Score: 299-29X

7. The Course of Fire (COF) for each Match will be will 30 Shots.

8. SCORING: Paper targets are scored by point value of ring. Gongs are scored by how many times you hit them out of 30 shots - 27(hits) of 30(shots).

9. There are a total of 8 Matches. You may enter a score for any number of these matches each month that you wish to shoot in - but you may only enter a score once for each match you choose to shoot in per month.

Re: Revised 100 & 200 YD Rimfire Internet Matches

Just got back from the Range where I tested the 6x8 inch 200 yard gong, and to be quite honest - I feel it is far to easy for 200 yards usage in our matches here at SH...

I reestablished my shooting dope using the Aguila Super Extra (1135fps) rather then using my Eley Sport (1085fps) ammo. I did not make any scope adjustments but opted to use the top lower Mil-Dot on my scope for aiming purpose. I attribute that to the humidity at the time of shooting.

At 9:00am here was my weather;

Temp......75*/sunny
Humidity..53%
Wind......9 mph East (from the East) - this put the wind behind me.

I started shooting at around 8:10am. I don't know the conditions at that time as I didn't check before leaving the house but it would have been similar to 9:00am - though I could tell the change in the sunlight as well as humidity as time passed while shooting. I also noticed a heat mirage coming up off the ground about midway through my shooting.

Here is the results of this morning's 6x8 inch gong test. I shot my 30 shots in 6 - 5 shot rounds;

Rnd 1: H H H H H - 5 of 5
Rnd 2: H H H H H - 5 of 5
Rnd 3: H H M M H - 3 of 5
Rnd 4: M H H H H - 4 of 5
Rnd 5: H H H H H - 5 of 5
Rnd 6: H H H H H - 5 of 5

Total................... 27 of 30

Notice Rounds 3 & 4,,, this is where conditions were changing, and also after Round 2 I took a smoke break to see if I could continue with a perfect run - which I did not. However, I feel if I would have stayed at the bench and continued my shooting rather then taking a break, it is possible that Rounds 3 & 4 would have been a different story - "hit" wise?

What do you folks think. Is the 6x8 inch gong to big for our 200 yard shooting for these matches? Should we scale down to say 5x6 inch?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not out to miss the target - I would just prefer we are able to challenge ourself more so that hits aren't so automatic.

What are your thoughts?

A 5x6 gong from 200 yards would have made my score 22 of 30...

Just back from the range.
Gongs are definatly better than paper. Hitting 9 out of 10 at 215 yards
on a 8" round.
I will be making some of the required sizes next week.

Savage MK II
Falcoln 4 x 18 x 56
Wolf match

TDR911, good shooting!
smile.gif

What do you think of going smaller in gong size? Say the 6x8 reduced to 5x6 from 200 yards?

IMHO, the gong sizes we are shooting at, either 6x8 or perhaps 5x6, with our .22LR's are no chip shots. That little bullet still has to travel the length of two football fields to hit an area smaller then that of a football. I feel regardless of a 6x8 or 5x6 gong from 200 yards, that is still some darn good shooting!
smile.gif

Have to head to work...

I have a bunch of steel I am going to make up in 6x8, 5x6, gongs
I thought of making a 24 x 24 or larger steel plate painted white and use a sharpie to make a 5x6 center so I can shoot past the 200 yard mark and still see where I am hitting. After dialed in go to the small targets only.

That's pretty much the way i did it also. I zeroed at 50 yards on paper then started at 100 yards shooting at an 8x10 gong then moving it back 25 yards each time once I felt I was dialed in good from each range in 25 yard increments, 100 through 200...

After feeling I had dialed in good at 200, I started to reduce the gong size to 6x8, 6x7, 5x6, and 4x5.

I have also shot past 200 yards on the 8x10 and 10x12 gongs, (out to 250 & 275 yards) but I haven't tried working those ranges down with smaller gongs as yet. I want to make sure I have 200 yards down tight.

Back of to work!

when you dicide on the final size of the gongs for 100 and 200 let us know so i can get the correct target up for the gong portion.

i shot the july 100 and 200 today, if i trace a 4X5 square over the tq4 at 100yp, i came up with a score of 30 (simulated gong made out of paper squares)
at 200yp, using a-21, the 6x8 27, 6x7 26, 5x6 25, 4x5 21, (simulated gong over paper)

seems that gongs are a bit of a challenge and a score equalizer, even being "simulated" by squares of paper the same size.

SIMULATED GONGS?....HHHMMMMMMM....paper sqaures cut out to those suggested may do the trick for those that don't have a way of getting or making metal gongs or unable to shoot anything other than paper at a public range and can live without hearing the ping.....(hint, hint)

what's you opinion on simulated gongs?

I kind of milled that around (simulated gong size paper) and I feel it would work ok for those needing to use paper rather then metal.

Here is the gong sizes I would prefer we use after my 200 yard testing;

100 yards - 3.5 x 3.5 or the 3.5 Spinner Disc made by Birchwood Casey.

This would seem to be available to all interest, either through their Sporting Goods Store or by Mail Order.

200 yards - I feel we should use the 5x7 gong.

Note: Today I shot two 15 shot rounds from 200 yards;

Rnd 1 - 5x6 gong - 14 Hits of 15 Shots
Rnd 2 - 4x5 gong - 14 Hits of 15 Shots

We don't want it to be to easy, but in the same breath we don't want it to be to hard. I think a 5x7 gong from 200 yards would be about right.

If I don't get any comments to sway my line of thinking, I will edit the rules to this Friday (July 24, 2009) to read;

100 yards - 3.5" Round Spinner
200 yards - 5x6" Gong

"cool"

mention if you are going to keep square or round or both depending on yardage. a black on white or vica versa simulated gong would be neat.

i'm thinking when all the bugs are worked out of this, next year's matches are going to get busy...i think you created the perfect monster. maybe even a yearly $ or prize match with mail in targets.

throw in a couple of sponsors, or proceeds of a $ match donated to a worthy cause.

sorry, i get a little carried away....

There is another option to this long range gong shooting we haven't looked at, and that would be;

Allow those who are shooting long range gong to progress at their own pace on the size of gong(s) they are shooting at now, and if they so choose - reduce in gong size as they progress.

Folks would simply report their results similar to this;

Class: Peep Sights
Rifle: Savage MKII FVT
Ammo: Wolf MT
Match: 200 Yard Gong (10x10) or (8" Round)

In going with this type of an option we could see who is shooting what and perhaps give one another ideas?

Also, by requiring a particular size of gong, we are narrowing the field (and perhaps even closing the field) to those who may be shooting 6, 8, 10, 12 inch gongs from 200 yards with their Peep Sights, or even open sights. I'd hate to see these folks not have a chance at taking part in shooting metal simply because of their sight setup.

I wish we could get a bit more discussion going here on this as to get a good feel for what folks are shooting. Perhaps this could become a second option for those shooting open & peep sights?

Off to work!
smile.gif

I think a larger size target, gong or paper, for open sights would be better. I do not know what size would be appropriate because I have a hard time with seeing them so I only shoot with a scope. All my rifles are set up with scpoes.
The simulated paper is a great option for those that can not use metal. There is a range here that will not allow steel. I was there when the 22 came back and almost hit the range officer.
You just need to do some testing as to what size for open sights.

TopPredator has a great idea with sponsers. Joe, you can count me in as a sponser.
To go even further out there a centraly located match at the end of the year to attend with prizes.

I appreciate the idea of sponsers and I think eventually it could be worked out by someone to take charge of that option. I think further study and details would need to be worked out obviously.

I would like to see these long range matches grow into a competition where they could be held at several different locations throughout the year. I expect there is already something of this nature going on, but there is always room for more I feel.

What we're doing here is planting seeds for the future growth of long range .22LR competition which could benefit all who are interested in this sport. There are many a 'trial and error' to be made as yet, but eventually we'll get it hammered out.

I think a committee would be a good idea if we could establish one that would address and work out the many details and rules needed, as well as locations to hold these type matches.

There could always be more then just the long range shooting as part of any future match setup. This might be where a '3' gun .22LR match might come into play in all aspects of Tactical Matches?

If anyone would like to discuss this further, send me a PM with your email address, we can discuss the possibilities of organizing.
smile.gif

I made 4x5 piece of steel today. Hope to get out to shoot it tomorrow. Earlier today I was shooting 2" groups @ 100 on paper testing some ammo. The area i usually shoot @ I can only get out to about 150. Do you care what color it is? I usually paint my bright orange.

when i was was saying sponsors i meant possibly finding a (or a few) advertisers or caharitable groups that would maybe put up some prizes, we would put in an entrance fee, then the sponser / charity could take remainder of the entrance fees for the charity.

example: ____________(insert name here) puts up a scope as a prize, charges a few bucks for a fee, when a winner is named the winner grabs the scope, and the rest is donated to make a wish foundation, or something like that. could be a "mail-in" match where the targets are mailed to an official for scoring.

kind of like "smack the smiley" but all .22

[I made 4x5 piece of steel today. Hope to get out to shoot it tomorrow. Earlier today I was shooting 2" groups @ 100 on paper testing some ammo. The area i usually shoot @ I can only get out to about 150. Do you care what color it is? I usually paint my bright orange.]

Hey, that's some good shooting! Also, you can paint it whatever color you'd like. I've always preferred the black, but that's just me.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when i was was saying sponsors i meant possibly finding a (or a few) advertisers or caharitable groups that would maybe put up some prizes, we would put in an entrance fee, then the sponser / charity could take remainder of the entrance fees for the charity.

example: ____________(insert name here) puts up a scope as a prize, charges a few bucks for a fee, when a winner is named the winner grabs the scope, and the rest is donated to make a wish foundation, or something like that. could be a "mail-in" match where the targets are mailed to an official for scoring.

kind of like "smack the smiley" but all .22</div></div>

Interesting, but probably not something I myself would get involved with. Though I certainly do wish anyone good luck in getting it going.
smile.gif

Joe, I look forward to this. May take me a little while to get going but this fits right in with what I had in mind. I'll have to order targets and make some gongs along with getting the rifles set up but when all that comes together my two kids will be shooting along with me.

Don't want to ramble too much but the day I signed up here I'd been to the range and had done some plinking out at 200 and 300 yds with my son's Savage. Pretty breezy that day but 200 yds was a lot easier than I expected, hadn't done much .22 shooting at distance for a while, but 300 was a different story. hehe

Tony

That sounds good Tony.
smile.gif

I've suggested gong sizes for 100 and 200 yards, and of course we already have a set paper target for these ranges with the NRA style 100 & 200 yard targets.

I am leaning more to the idea of those taking part that they should shoot the "gong" target size of their choice as from what I have found is that with my setup I have worked my way down to the 4x5 inch gong from 200 yards and prefer to go even smaller while challenging myself with this type of shooting. If I'm shooting at a "set" gong size - eventually the challenge goes away when hitting the same size gong repeatedly - almost like clock work.

If I recall, the first gong I started out on from 200 yards was the 8x10, and I was worried I wouldn't hit that. It was pretty easy to hit so I moved to the 6x8 and after a while found the same thing, it got to easy.

I then decided to try the 5x6 and 4x5. Once I got on to those gongs it has become more challenging for me, and more enjoyable overall when I can't take the shot for granted that I'll hit each and every time I pull the trigger.

My latest gong size's I'm playing around with is, 3.5x3.75 and 3 7/8x3 7/8 inches from 200 yards. I would be a happy man if I were able to hit those sizes with some consistency.

I guess what it boils down to, for me,,, is that I have been able to do this 200 yard "reduction" gong shooting at my own pace, and I like that idea. It works IMHO, and keeps a person interested in challenging themselve's to make shots that once may have seemed impossible.
smile.gif

I went out with the 5x6 gong I made yesterday. The longest I could set up was 180. (I was almost sitting at the road
laugh.gif
)

H H H M H
M H H H H
M H H H H

I'll call that good enough for the moment
laugh.gif

Good shooting. My first trip out with the 5x6 gong I hit 12 out of 15. My second trip out with the 5x6 gong I was able to hit 14 of 15 shots. I feel the 5x6 presents a good challenge.
smile.gif

REVISED 100 & 200 YARD LONG RANGE INTERNET SCHEDULE - RULES - MATCHES:

Rules

2. We will use the A21 Target for the 200 Yard Paper Match, and the TQ-4 Target for the 100 Yard Paper Match. Both Targets can be purchased from; http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/ or a dealer of your choice.

2a. We will use a 3.5 inch metal round disc for the "100 Yard Gong Match" and a 5x7 inch metal gong for the "200 Yard Gong Match"

3. You may use as many targets as you choose for your course of fire, (30 Shots), or you may use one target and score/repair it after every 10 shots. Target Pasters or masking tape may be used to repair targets between 10 shot relays. Just be sure to score your target first before repairing it.

4. Matches will be shot from the designated position outlined below in the Match Discription.

MATCH DISCRIPTION:

The butt of the rifle must be supported in your shoulder without any aids such as lock'in devices or sandbags, (though locking in with a sling is permissable). This Rule is for both "Prone & Bench" shooting. The use of a Bi-Pod, or Sandbags to support your rifle's barrel is allowed. You could also use a chunk or backpack to rest your rifle barrel on when shooting.

Everyone taking part should post their score(s) in the following manner. If a thread has not been started to post your score(s) - just start a new thread with the Subject reading;

8. SCORING: Paper targets are scored by point value of ring. Gongs are scored by how many times you hit them out of 30 shots - 27(hits) of 30(shots).

9. There are a total of 8 Matches. You may enter a score for any number of these matches each month that you wish to shoot in - but you may only enter a score once for each matches you choose to shoot in per month.

Great Joe, I will be in this one. I have the targets I just need to make the metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this best edge or worst edge scoring method? Thanks! </div></div>

Yes...

Here is a link to scoring bench rest which works the same for our scoring method, however if you break/hit any part of the (higher) scoring ring - it is the higher score - including the 'X' Ring.

http://usbr.benchrest.net/scoretarget1.htm

Yeah, that is the best edge scoring method. Worst edge is where you get the score of the lowest ring that you penetrate. The reason I ask is that the American Rimfire Association uses worst edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Martin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">REVISED 100 & 200 YARD LONG RANGE INTERNET SCHEDULE - RULES - MATCHES:

Rules

MATCH DISCRIPTION:

9. There are a total of 8 Matches. You may enter a score for any number of these matches each month that you wish to shoot in - but you may only enter a score once for each matches you choose to shoot in per month.

Is there anyplace online where these targets are downloadable?

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is there anyplace online where these targets are downloadable?
</div></div>

I don't know? It may be cheaper to buy them from;

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/

considering the price of printer ink.

I have seen the TQ4 targets at local sporting goods store. marketed by Champion target co. They were 8 or 10 to the pack.
Seemed like better paper and cheaper by 100 from pistoleer.

No, just the inner 10 ring.

Joe, I am thinking about shooting this tomorrow. I just got my giant target backers and a shooting glove in the mail. Is it OK to use pasties in the bull to create a better POA? I bought the orange TQ-4, and I can't resolve it very well. It looks like I am just shooting at a giant orange mass. My pasty would be orange as well, but at least a different shade.

Thanks!