• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision RH/MH25 vs NOX18 vs ?

mikefraz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2013
Which one has the best image quality for medium/short range (300 yards and in) use? Looking at YouTube videos, I feel like the are very evenly matched.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel like I want the most FOV for walking around with it helmet mounted. It appears that the NOX18 has the leg up on the RH25/MH25 in that regard. I’ll never use this as a standalone TWS, but I could see me using the RH25 in the clip on roll sparingly, but not if it makes it worse in the helmet mounted configuration. I have seen a few people that claim they got the NOX18 to work as a clipon, though I’m aware that NVision does not claim that functionality.

I admit that I want to like the NOX18 more because it’s an USA based company vs Chinese for the MH/RH25. With that being said I want to get the unit that is the most capable. I definitely don’t want to spend more than $6,000.

Which one has the best image quality for medium/short range (300 yards and in) use? Looking at YouTube videos, I feel like the are very evenly matched.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I feel like I want the most FOV for walking around with it helmet mounted. It appears that the NOX18 has the leg up on the RH25/MH25 in that regard. I’ll never use this as a standalone TWS, but I could see me using the RH25 in the clip on roll sparingly, but not if it makes it worse in the helmet mounted configuration. I have seen a few people that claim they got the NOX18 to work as a clipon, though I’m aware that NVision does not claim that functionality.

I admit that I want to like the NOX18 more because it’s an USA based company vs Chinese for the MH/RH25. With that being said I want to get the unit that is the most capable. I definitely don’t want to spend more than $6,000.
If you want navigation, I'd go with the Nox 18 for sure. I've played with the Nox, MH25, RH25, Skeet IRx and Skeet L, UTM, and the voodoo...but the Nox (for the price) is the best for navigation. The FOV is huge (24⁰), 60 Hz refresh rate, and a realistic depth perceiving image. The Skeet IRx is the better choice due to size and use case (has clip on capability) if we are talking objective performance, but is almost 10k more (but you aren't getting 10k more image, that's for sure).

Thats my humble opinion.

The nox fits what your looking for. Are you planning on bringing it with a 14? The nox does fine for navigating on simple terrain but can get sketchy on slopes or complex terrain.

If you get one definitely try it as a weapon mount. It's very good as long as you have realistic range expectations and it adds an interesting dynamic in being able to easily move around with your rifle shouldered. Great for slaying pests around the property. It can work as a clip-on but there's too much fuckery involved for it to be worth it imo especially when you can get similar performance using it as a dedicated weapon sight with less weight.

I've experimented with N18 as a "hybrid - clipon"

No more phuquery involved than zeroing N18 as a TWS.

Glossary:

"hybrid - clipon" meaning mount it in front of the day scope, but use the N18 reticle and ignore the day scope reticle.

"TWS" = Thermal Weapon Sight

I would check out the AGM Sting IR. It´s a similar 640 device that kinda compete´s with the NOX-18.

I own both the Nox 18 & the IRay RH25. Both perform exceptionally well. Primary use is helmet mounted on a bridge paired with a PVS14. For navigation the Nox is a tad better for me, but both get the job done with no complaints.

The RH25 will outperform the Nox at longer distances, but not enough to affect you if you’re staying within 300 yards.

If having clip on capabilities is a need I recommend the RH25. If not then the Nox would probably suit you well. I use the RH25 as clip on 10% - 20% of the time and it works well up to 6x magnification so for me I’ll be keeping the RH25 and selling my Nox.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Looks like the NOX18 is the droid that I’m looking for.
Give me a call at (832) 387-5195 to discuss current thermal and nv promos - I run Kosher Surplus. We just got another batch of nox18 from n vision. We carry bridges mounts and helmets.

The nox fits what your looking for. Are you planning on bringing it with a 14? The nox does fine for navigating on simple terrain but can get sketchy on slopes or complex terrain.

If you get one definitely try it as a weapon mount. It's very good as long as you have realistic range expectations and it adds an interesting dynamic in being able to easily move around with your rifle shouldered. Great for slaying pests around the property. It can work as a clip-on but there's too much fuckery involved for it to be worth it imo especially when you can get similar performance using it as a dedicated weapon sight with less weight.
What do you consider to be realistic range for using the Nox 18 as a WMT?

Reactions: mikefraz