• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Night Ops

Non-random answer - Yup !!! :D

What are you thinking !!?? 🤔

(oh darn, Max beat me to the punch ! :D )
For me personally, I will never use this on my helmet so its just something that gets in the way. If I get one, it will be on a weapon or as a scanner. I had a IR-Patrol and I mostly used it as a scanner and I never really like that dovetail when I gripped it. Also, dovetails get in the way if you want to put it in your pocket. It snags on things. Its just added bulk I could do without.

Also, in a weapon mount role, it would be cool to see if there would be a way to mount a RMR sight on top of the Nox. Not sure if there is a way to do so when removing the dovetail. I think this would be pretty cool and useful for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikefraz
@Ppapago it is totally possible to remove the dovetail mount (or weapon mount, or both) when it's not in use. We will offer a short (5-6 slots) piece of a Picatinny rail that can be mounted instead of the dovetail for attachment of different accessories. RMR with Picatinny mount should fit there just fine.

... it would be cool to see if there would be a way to mount a RMR sight on top of the Nox. Not sure if there is a way to do so when removing the dovetail...

@Ppapago it is totally possible to remove the dovetail mount (or weapon mount, or both) when it's not in use. We will offer a short (5-6 slots) piece of a Picatinny rail that can be mounted instead of the dovetail for attachment of different accessories. RMR with Picatinny mount should fit there just fine.
Max_R, I missed it, when do you expect the final productions models to be released?

Max_R, I missed it, when do you expect the final productions models to be released?
They are pretty much released. We are still tweaking a few things in the software but the hardware is set. We hope to start commercial shipments by the middle of December. The Picatinny rail that I mentioned above is not a part of the standard package. It will become available a little later as an accessory.

Speaking of software...
Still interested if the magnification levels can be enabled vs just selecting the maximum level

Being able to only have 1x & 4x for example
Vs 1x 2x 4x
@PlinkIt it's an interesting idea. The "free form" choice is somewhat difficult to implement with our GUI however you got me thinking. What appears to be the only valuable configuration that we don't have covered is 1x and 4x. 1x and 2x are available. I don't think that 1x and 8x is going to be practical. Here I'm assuming that the user will always want to have 1x as an option. In this case, we can simply add 1x and 4x as a choice in our existing menu and this should cover a wast majority of use scenarios. Am I missing something?

8x just isnt practical even with the halo lr. just too much noise and thermal bleed for it to be useful much at all.

I agree 1x 4x is good option
On the LR for example the reticle also makes he most sense to me at 4x so I want skip to it anyway

I tried using 8x on the 25mm so the reticle made more sense to me, but I ended up moving away from the 25

1x 4x with holdover reticle that was really intended for 4x I think is the best scenario

1x to scan and point blank shoot
4x to make a holdover shot
Back to 1x after shot to scan for stragglers

Granted though... opinions are like other things... I might be the only one this sounds like a good option to

Yes. It can be completely removed or installed on the weapon mount side.
Hi Max, on another NV forum I saw a press release picture of the Nox that appeared to be mounted on a Mod Armory Bridge with the J Arms. The rifle mount was removed and the J Arm looked like it was screwed into its place. My inquiry is to ask and confirm this is doable and a J arm will thread into the Nox at the mount position if removed.
If so I understand it will probably make the unit’s screen tilted while helmet mounted but will at least allow some of us to use it that way until the bridge mount supply catches up with demand.
Please advise, thanks.

Hi Max, on another NV forum I saw a press release picture of the Nox that appeared to be mounted on a Mod Armory Bridge with the J Arms. The rifle mount was removed and the J Arm looked like it was screwed into its place. My inquiry is to ask and confirm this is doable and a J arm will thread into the Nox at the mount position if removed.
If so I understand it will probably make the unit’s screen tilted while helmet mounted but will at least allow some of us to use it that way until the bridge mount supply catches up with demand.
Please advise, thanks.

Haller at Dan @DownRangeThermal . Ordered a Universal Bridge and had it in pretty short order.

Reactions: BamaSE
@BamaSE there is a 1/4"-20 hole on the weapon mount side that _potentially_ can be used for helmet-mounting the Nox using the PVS-14 Jarm, etc. However, we did not plan for this. The picture that you've seen is somebody's "creative thinking". While mounted like this, the image is going to be tilted quite a bit plus I think the Nox will be shifted forward a bit too much for my taste but we'll have to play some more with this surprising solution to figure out if it's anyhow valuable or not.

Please advise, thanks.

Reactions: mikefraz
Was asked to test the Nox-18 under greater than normal firing circumstance.

Loaded 2 mags with 28 each 77gr IMI and headed out.

50699970807_efad6ed79c_k.jpg

First mag dump was a tiny bit on the slow side with seven 4 rd bursts.

Policed up the brass and let the suppressor cool.

Second mag dump was solid mag dump with one 28 rd burst.

50699887326_d6f38bff5b_k.jpg

Nox seemed no worse for the wear.

50699297318_29781f8dd1_z.jpg

Nox passed this test !

So that's it for what I can do to the Nox.

Summary:

Nox is half the size and weight of the patrol

Nox image is pretty dang close to the patrol, in varying conditions and at varying distances (25yds to 1500yds) I'd give a slight edge to the Nox. The nox also has additional image controls, like gamma, which aid in tuning the image to the exact conditions of the moment.

Focus ring seems hard to turn, it can be turned but its a two handed process. Max will investigate when he gets the unit back.

I had a situation where the zeroing buttons were producing unusual results. Sent max details, there were able to reproduce and fix this issue. That's why we test !!!

Image taking and image software works fine.

Menu is very intuitive. I did have a few suggestions, N-Vision will review.

The dove tail was a little wobbly. N-Vision will investigate once the unit is returned.

The 18650 battery works great. Max did say the battery strength indicator was being adjusted to improve accuracy.

I would recommend shipping the units with appropriate sized butler creeks to make one handed nucing easier.

I actually liked the chevron reticle (see pics) as it was the easier to aim precisely.

All in all the Nox equally/Exceeded expectations in size/weight, ability to quickly zero (clearly beats patrol on this, with the indexed positive clicks) and image. And at a lower price point, the patrol is left with few advantages. Perhaps the only advantages being, has accessory rail that can take DLOC mount or RAPTAR/Radius or RMR or laser pointer ... can be used with skeet mount (upside down). Has currently available 3x magnifier. Has programmable quick menu.
The Nox, is much easier to zero, has more image controls, is smaller and lighter, lower price point, focusing does NOT change the POI with the patrol it does - this is huge in my book). Comes with enhanced (18650) battery solution and charger ... equivalent costs extra for the patrol. More reticles, including mil holding reticles ( patrol has only 2 reticles ).

Go Nox Go !! :D

Last edited:
Thank you, Wig!

Strange request:
Can you shoot groups at 300 yards? I’d like to see what it’s capable of further out. I realize longer distance isn’t it’s strength but I’d like an idea of what the limitations are in that area.

Reactions: Bravo6niner
The mil reticle mentioned....
Is this the same one we see in the Halo? At what magnification are they subtending correctly?

Nox reticles are very similar to Halo reticles but they were slightly scaled to adjust for Nox magnification. Nox18 has mil reticles (2) that have 1 mil subtensions at 4x. Same reticles on the Nox35 have 1 mil subtensions at 2x zoom. The exact details will be published soon.

... Can you shoot groups at 300 yards? ...

2020-12-10
1300-1400
60F
0-3 MPH SE

Goal: Nox at 300yds.

Environment: Indian summer, sunny, clear and warm. Wind is nil.

Equipment:
Mk12 556(18) with 77gr 24.3 TAC 2705, Nov-18, RRS, Zeiss 10x45 LRF, 4-wheeler, IPSC(2/3) steel

Activity:
Rolled out to the target area and setup at 200yds to confirm zero. I had dismounted the Nox and now needed to remount. And I'd zeroed at 50yds so that didn't mean my double zero was 200yds, but it should be good enough to get on steel.

50702869893_b2e8a35678_k.jpg

I aimed dead center of the steel and was low and right in a diagonal string.

50703601056_a2614467f8_k.jpg

It was tough to see the steel with the glare and the contrast scenario. I used my sweater as a hood, that helped some. I was on 2x. I clicked for 1 left and 1 up (which is moving the reticle 1 right and 1 down, as thermal users all know :) ).

Then headed to 300yds.

50702862558_ad1356a6a2_k.jpg

I took a wild guess and aimed up a foot and left some also and got 3 hits and one was even dead center, though I don't know which. Essentially I was aiming to the left of the ear of the target. I went to 4x for the 300yd shots. I tried both black hot and white hot ... and to get the reticle to be the opposite color of the target wound up sticking with black hot. The reticle color was flickering back and forth as I raised a lowered the aiming point. And the flip over point was right exactly where I was trying to aim :D ... (of course).

50703658887_1de59fc644_k.jpg

Summary/Results: If I'd had more time, I would've shot a lot more rounds, but I'm multi-tasking between day job and trying to study for ham exam this Saturday. And at night, I would be much more able to experiment with the other reticles, but at 300yds in the day, I was using "the target is the reticle" !!! And that chevron reticle still gives the tiniest aiming point in my book, so that's what I was using.

2020-12-10
1300-1400
60F
0-3 MPH SE

Goal: Nox at 300yds.

Environment: Indian summer, sunny, clear and warm. Wind is nil.

Equipment:
Mk12 556(18) with 77gr 24.3 TAC 2705, Nov-18, RRS, Zeiss 10x45 LRF, 4-wheeler, IPSC(2/3) steel

Activity:
Rolled out to the target area and setup at 200yds to confirm zero. I had dismounted the Nox and now needed to remount. And I'd zeroed at 50yds so that didn't mean my double zero was 200yds, but it should be good enough to get on steel.

50702869893_b2e8a35678_k.jpg

I aimed dead center of the steel and was low and right in a diagonal string.

50703601056_a2614467f8_k.jpg

It was tough to see the steel with the glare and the contrast scenario. I used my sweater as a hood, that helped some. I was on 2x. I clicked for 1 left and 1 up (which is moving the reticle 1 right and 1 down, as thermal users all know :) ).

Then headed to 300yds.

50702862558_ad1356a6a2_k.jpg

I took a wild guess and aimed up a foot and left some also and got 3 hits and one was even dead center, though I don't know which. Essentially I was aiming to the left of the ear of the target. I went to 4x for the 300yd shots. I tried both black hot and white hot ... and to get the reticle to be the opposite color of the target wound up sticking with black hot. The reticle color was flickering back and forth as I raised a lowered the aiming point. And the flip over point was right exactly where I was trying to aim :D ... (of course).

50703658887_1de59fc644_k.jpg

Summary/Results: If I'd had more time, I would've shot a lot more rounds, but I'm multi-tasking between day job and trying to study for ham exam this Saturday. And at night, I would be much more able to experiment with the other reticles, but at 300yds in the day, I was using "the target is the reticle" !!! And that chevron reticle still gives the tiniest aiming point in my book, so that's what I was using.
I was thinking about going for a HAM license.

Reactions: TheHorta
I was thinking about going for a HAM license.

It’s literally the easiest thing in the world to do, especially if you’re just going for your Tech license. You don’t even need to pre-study!!!

Just find a local-ish ARRL chapter. They’ll have a Saturday class. They cover EVERYTHING on the test at the class. You take the 20 minute test at the end of the class. You need to be a Class-A moron to fail. It’s stoopid simple.

$50 and a Saturday is all you need to get a 10-year license. Don’t bring a radio or anything. They even served snacks and drinks.

It’s literally the easiest thing in the world to do, especially if you’re just going for your Tech license. You don’t even need to pre-study!!!

Just find a local-ish ARRL chapter. They’ll have a Saturday class. They cover EVERYTHING on the test at the class. You take the 20 minute test at the end of the class. You need to be a Class-A moron to fail. It’s stoopid simple.

$50 and a Saturday is all you need to get a 10-year license. Don’t bring a radio or anything. They even served snacks and drinks.
Snacks and drinks:), I'm in!😁

• Haha
Reactions: TheHorta
Went out last night to compare new (to me) PVS-27 and (Armasight) CO-X (3P).

I started early to try to leverage any tiny remaining moon ...

50731789042_4288346963_k.jpg

I don't think the moon helped with NV clipons ... but it was barely enuff to help me manipulate the gear without any aids ...

==

PVS-27 looking at industrial plant 37 miles away ...
50730805603_027066caf1_k.jpg

Same plant being viewed by CO-x
50731676806_cf04023908_k.jpg

both of these images are at 6x on the day scope

Note there seems to be a little bit of scintillation in the CO-x ... I didn't see it with my mk1EB or I would've dialed the gain down a bit further.

==
PVS-27 looking at a tree at 330yds at 6x
50730940043_709006840d_k.jpg

CO-x same tree, same 6x
50731776157_8d3c40c992_k.jpg

==
NV clipons are good at detecting vis (or ir) light emissions at great distances ... this is CO-x at 3x with the day scope
50730954848_8dfb2da937_k.jpg

The first tree line is 300yds, the second tree line is 700yds ... the first single light is a safety light at about 1 mile distance, though about a half mile of woods (in the cool half of the year, with much less vegetation) ...
Those other lights at the top of the image are a combination of house lights about 5 km away ... and the bases of several towers ... 10 to 20 miles away ...

==
So, net/net these NV clipons are useable by me ... for my purposes of observation ...

I still need to try to shoot with them and see how they work in that regard.

Reactions: bullseye13
I was out good part of the night with both thermal and NV. My NV a CNVD was barely useable until I turned on the IR ILLUM.

then it worked great. What little moon the was, maybe 15% got covered by clouds a lot. Ya gotta have IR with NV--do not leave hone without it.

My thermal a MK 2 trigicon worked great.

Only typing this as some on here have said they doubted the necessity for IR Illum. On a full moom night maybe, but not generally.

2020-12-20
2030-2115
40F
5 MPH W

Goal: Coop Check

Environment: Windy, partly cloudy, waning moon visible.

Equipment: mk12 556(18) 77gr vo 2-10x UTC RRS

50742620892_7717071e6b_k.jpg

Activity:
Deer in the front yard. We have fescue so there's still some green and they were goin' at it. :)

50742615297_9da367e1d8_b.jpg

2021-01-01
1215-1500
25F
15MPH NW

Goal: Snow walk

Environment: Not a blizzard, but a heavy snow. With a credible NW wind. It start at 0700 AND BY 1100 had gotten some accumulation, so I decided it was a good time to get outside and practice with some gear !!

Equipment: King's Camo snow suit (upper and lower). Lacross snow boots. King's camo balaklava. I/O Recon goggles. 25000mAh solar battery charger. Motorola phone (as camera).
Motorola DTR700 radio. Water bottle. Gloves. Mk18-ish 556(10.3) with 77gr SMK, EOTECH, ELIR-3, OTAL, TAPS Sync, AAC-Mini, Magpul sling. Airforce sweater as bottom layer.

50789010357_f0b67cd933_k.jpg

Yes, the King's Camo stuff is made in China, but I've learned that for me, the single most important aspect of outdoor clothes is the zippers.
I destroy zippers and so far (this is year 3 I've had the KC stuff) these zippers are GREAT. In fact, I'd say these are the best danged zippers I ever did have.

The KC upper is actually two jackets and either can be worn separately, or they can be snapped and zippered together to form a thick, two layer jacket. The lowers are overall style.
The outer jacket has 4 outer pockets that zip or snap. And there are two pockets that don't zip or snap (those are a little shallow, so I only used them for the gloves.
I used the upper chest pocket for the radio. And the left side pocket for the water and the right side pocket for the phone cam and its battery support.
The phone started off at 24% so I left it plugged in to the charger the whole time. It was useable. The charger stayed in the pocket and the usb-c cable was long enuff to let me
use the phone without hindrance.

The DTR700 had a simple ear bud/PPT that I wrapped around myself and clipped to my outer jacket collar. The PTT/ear bud worked fine and did not come loose.
These DTRs are frequency hoppers and have a randomizer code you create. You can setup multiple "groups" or "networks" of users each with its own seed code, so none of the
groups can listen to each other. Or you can share all the codes in the radios so everyone can be a member of all groups, etc. Just depends on how you want to use them.
Since they hop, really quickly, they are supposedly hard to detect, etc. They run on 900MHz, so are not Ham radios. We have our tech licenses now, but also got these radios,
because they seem to work well penetrating thru the woods, better than UVF or VHF.

==

Activity: I decided I was going to do a perimeter walk on our original 120 acres, which is a 2 mile walk. I would be sticking as close to the perimeter fence as possible.
I started out heading across turtle creek (we give names to landmarks so we can tell each other where we've been :D
And then up the West side of signal hill. The snow was coming down pretty hard.

Here's a view to the SW from halfway up signal hill, looking up the ravine that feeds turtle creek.

50787968073_f60b873a34_k.jpg

Along the way, I say lots of tracks. Yotes, deer, rabbit, squirrel, mouse, birds, etc. Here were some almost covered over yote tracks, but the yote left a calling card (a tuft of fur) on the bottom wire
of the fence.

50788827282_2426f004d3_k.jpg

That's not unusual. This is not a normal yote run spot, so it was noted. It other places I saw yote tracks coming thru the fence, where I've been seeing them for 6 years ... since
I've been looking.

The drifts on the West side of the hill were 4, 6 and 8 inches depending on the spot. It was slow going, up this fairly steep hill.

From the top of signal hill looking east into the "central valley" of this area. The snow covered pond is in the center. That's a snow covered bale in the lower left of the pic.
Its a crappy bale with a lot of sticks in it, so I put it up here as a blind. The cows are on the new land this winter, else they would eat it up.

50788860066_c69a960f97_k.jpg

I did a radio check back to wife and we were both lima/charlie, which is no surprise given that I was up on signal hill and 1300 ft elevation. Our house is 1250 ft, though it does have a metal roof and her office
is in the basement, which is a walkout/3 sided cellar ... but she got me.

Then I proceeded along the fence you see to the right and thru the wooded area at the base of this hill. The creek down in there has steep banks and I had to crawl in and out of the creek.
I was wearing my gloves in the woods as I was using the vegetation as my supports and there are lots of prickly branches and vines and such in our woods.

Then I headed up to the top of hill 1309, our highest point and the SE corner of this part of our land. I did a radio check from there, and she said she could hear me but I was "distorted".
I said the wind was blowing pretty hard and she said that was probably the distortion.

I then proceeded north the wind was almost directly in my face and I was now glad I had the goggles. I cleaned the 80% lens and the 20% lens ... but wound up going with the clear lens because the sun was obscured.

As I passed a tree that marks a 400yds known distance firing point, I decided to take a couple of shots so went prone and crawled under the tree and used a big root to get me up higher so I could (barely) see the wood
cross support of the hanging steel target (IPSC 2/3). Since the target was painted white I really could not see the target. And I had removed the 3x magnifier, so I was 1x with the eotech. So I aimed at a point equidistant
above the cross bar, the same distance I estimated the center of the target was below the cross bar. Its a 24 inch high target, the mid point is 12 inches and the target hangs (an estimated)
8 inches below the top of the cross bar, and I needed to hold 40 inches up. The wind was coming directly at me ... BTW snow is a great wind meter !! :D
So I held my estimated 40 inches up and dead on and fired and heard and clank and repeated and heard another clank.

I retrieved the brass. I could see "holes" where the brass landed in the snow and went down in so I could fish out the brass and was able to !

Then I resumed my trek heading N along the East fence.

In a heavily wooded area ... I saw LOTS of tracks, yotes and deer and squirrel and even saw a rabbit within 10 feet of me. I guess he was using the "no move" defense, but I finally got too close.

Then I reached the main creek and would be crossing here.

50788976127_127551078f_k.jpg

All the ice on the ponds melted Wednesday when we had an all day rain. Not all of it melted in the creeks, but a lot of it did and the creeks got a lot of new warmer water.
So I was surprised this part of the creek looked iced over enough to try it.
My cold weather boots are not over my knees, but they are higher than my muck boots. If I feel in and stayed up right, I figured I would probably not get water in my boots.
But its possible I would be wrong because I could really tell how deep it was. Though I've been at this spot many times and generally can wade here without getting water in the muck boots.
If I avoid the deeper spots (which I could not now see).

50788875086_9deb0807a2_k.jpg

I made it !!

The last/closest part was a bit mushy, but I did not break thru. The far bank was solid. I just tried to keep moving and in this case not lifting my feet very high. Then I had to crawl up the bank
I'm standing up. But I just use the roots as my ladder.

Then I was on the N side of the creek and then heading West. I've gone 1 mile so far. I tried a radio check from here and no dice. I am at 1150 elevation, 100 feet below the house, with 1244 ( sqrt((880^2)+880^2)) ) yds
of trees in between us (the creek runs on a diagonal on the land from the SW where the house is, to the NE where I'm standing at the low point) between us and she's down in a hole.
So not surprising no contact here.
I tried again after 1/4 mile and made contact with no issue LC.
Along here, mother nature as put a bunch of trees down and I was able to get all but one of them off. I need to bring the chain saw in here. Basically I need to bring the "fence repair wagon" in here !
(the buggy - aka side by side - with the chain saw and the fence splicing kit)

50789005002_c8cea51fef_k.jpg

We call that the "gate to no where" because its just a gate that goes no where. But I think of it as one of my spare gates, being stored here for when I need to move it elsewhere !!

==
Summary results:

Well I was hot. I was over dressed. I could've gone with 1 less layer.

The radio worked about as I expected. In prior tests, right along the creek, in the lowest areas, we can't make contact either with VHF or 900MHz.

I was able to move thru the terrain without falling. That's always good. This mk18 setup sure is unbalanced, front heavy. But for what I'm using it for, there's not really an option.
I switched it between my shoulders and around on my back some and that helped. Snow depth meant high stepping way more than normal when walking in the pastures and that was good exercise.
I should've take more listening and hydration breaks. I did take some, I didn't say it but I did. But I should've taken more.

Oh, when I recrossed the creek on the way home I did crunch thru the ice, but in a very shallow place right near the bank.

My net movement rate was 2 miles / 3 hours = 0.66 MPH ... given that I stopped for radio/hydration/listen breaks and to take pics and shoot and move trees and crawl up and down banks, I'm not surprised. I usually do 1 MPH on my night perimeter checks. But I'm not moving trees on those. When I'm walking in open pasture I'm 2-3 MPH ... but those are the "bursts".

Enjoyed my "winter fun" !!! Might try something similar tomorrow !

Last edited:
2021-02-17
1600-1700
20F
03 MPH N

Goal: Lead cattle to area in creek where I rolled the tractor around earlier and broke some ice. And test new Leica 3500 LRF.

Environment: After a couple of days of -27F and -16F lows, today we zoomed up to 20F high !!! The sun was out and lots of snow melting. But not muddy yet.

Equipment: Leica 3500 LRF.
50954512857_ff5e45bb9e_k.jpg

Activity: Rolled over to new area in buggy and used a bit of the remaining corn to entice the cows down to the creek where I bashed in some ice earlier today. I saw half of them drinking and the other half watching. That's good enough for me.
Then rolled up to some higher ground and did a slow 360 ranging lots of sh^t. Ranged 4 hillsides at distances of 2500m+ ... the farthest was 3035m. I require three successful attempts, before I call it good. I was unable to range the area around a big TV tower at 6 miles distance from where I stood. Mostly, for the 2500m+ I was ranging hill sides with snow, rocks and evergreens.
The 3500 is FAST. I've read some unhappy reviews, but the performance I saw today was GREAT.
And its TINY.

Summary/Results:

In the range finder department right now, I have

3 Sico Radiae. They can so 1000m in the day and 3000m at night.

50047959693_3c88fea5a3_k.jpg

1 Zeiss 10x45 LRF, 1000m in the day. Has a 3x multiplier I can put on the left barrel for 30x on left barrel with 10x LRF on right barrel. Poor man's light spotter.

39764765263_8589ab44fd_k.jpg

1 Bushy 7x LRF, 1200m in the day (I've gotten 1700m once on a ridge line) ... working on a night setup.

50927106707_bf6e69fcdd_k.jpg

Also have a Luna 6x LRF/LIDAR ... its a 600m range finder, but can also grab the speed of moving objects.

Have a Steiner 8x30 Bino LRF in the budget.

So the purpose of the Lieca 3500 is to enhance day ranging.

==
Also finally in the budget after many years of cogitating is an M151 with a SLICK. The 3rd Radius will move over there. I already got a PT mount for it.

But for light, fast hand ranging, the Leica is the new "top of the list" for me.

2021-02-17
1600-1700
20F
03 MPH N

Goal: Lead cattle to area in creek where I rolled the tractor around earlier and broke some ice. And test new Leica 3500 LRF.

Environment: After a couple of days of -27F and -16F lows, today we zoomed up to 20F high !!! The sun was out and lots of snow melting. But not muddy yet.

Equipment: Leica 3500 LRF.
50954512857_ff5e45bb9e_k.jpg

Activity: Rolled over to new area in buggy and used a bit of the remaining corn to entice the cows down to the creek where I bashed in some ice earlier today. I saw half of them drinking and the other half watching. That's good enough for me.
Then rolled up to some higher ground and did a slow 360 ranging lots of sh^t. Ranged 4 hillsides at distances of 2500m+ ... the farthest was 3035m. I require three successful attempts, before I call it good. I was unable to range the area around a big TV tower at 6 miles distance from where I stood. Mostly, for the 2500m+ I was ranging hill sides with snow, rocks and evergreens.
The 3500 is FAST. I've read some unhappy reviews, but the performance I saw today was GREAT.
And its TINY.

Summary/Results:

In the range finder department right now, I have

3 Sico Radiae. They can so 1000m in the day and 3000m at night.

50047959693_3c88fea5a3_k.jpg

1 Zeiss 10x45 LRF, 1000m in the day. Has a 3x multiplier I can put on the left barrel for 30x on left barrel with 10x LRF on right barrel. Poor man's light spotter.

39764765263_8589ab44fd_k.jpg

1 Bushy 7x LRF, 1200m in the day (I've gotten 1700m once on a ridge line) ... working on a night setup.

50927106707_bf6e69fcdd_k.jpg

Also have a Luna 6x LRF/LIDAR ... its a 600m range finder, but can also grab the speed of moving objects.

Have a Steiner 8x30 Bino LRF in the budget.

So the purpose of the Lieca 3500 is to enhance day ranging.

==
Also finally in the budget after many years of cogitating is an M151 with a SLICK. The 3rd Radius will move over there. I already got a PT mount for it.

But for light, fast hand ranging, the Leica is the new "top of the list" for me.

I had similar results with my SilencerCo radius. Grabbed reads during the day on non-reflective targets very easily at 800-900 yards and 2500+ yards on non-reflective targets at night.

Reactions: wigwamitus
2021-02-(21-22-27)
2100-2300
30F/30F/40F

Goal: Overwatch cows on new land

Environment: Varied, cooler in the earlier days, warmer last night. Overcast and windy last night, clear and little wind on earlier nights.

Equipment:

First Two nights

50962370271_b82f5328d8_k.jpg

Last night
50988039322_da89868bf7_k.jpg

What's new and different about the equipment is I'm trying to get these "jungle harnesses" (my name for them) to work. The idea is a harness, belt and pouches, really like we had in the army I was in, where we also had a butt pack, but using newer harness, belt and pouches, not the ones we had in the Army I was in.
So the first one above, is based on Hill People Gear (thanks choid for the idea/coaching!) harness and belt. And this setup can definitely take more weight than the second one. The pouches shown are a mix. Two of them are actual HPG pouches, which have zippers, though looking at the pic, you can't actually see either of those pouches cause they're on the underside of the tripod scabard, (which is APO).
One of the pouches is the PVS-27 pouch, very nice pouch. It has the 27 in it and a mcree precision ai mag pouch molled to it.
Then there's the UTC pouch with the UTC ... and an M145C pouch with a water bottle, and a beta-c 556 100rd mag pouch (another nice pouch) with the radio and kestrel.
And we have the comtac3 headset (worn under the helmet) ... and the dtr700 radio and ptt. The Ops Core Bump has the skeet and a 14 and battery cable, battery and counterweight.
The tripod is in the scabbard along with another water bottle on an attached pouch. Map and compass in other pouches on the scabbard.
Then the 762(22) with tab gear biathlon sling (thanks KSE for the idea/coaching!), L&S mk6 3-18x T3 and radius.

==

For the second harness, thats a Crye Precision "lopro" harness, the straps for the harness managed to all get folded under the belt. This one exceeded expectations as it is smaller and lighter, yet has more room for pouches. But, without the padded harness, will struggle more with heavier weight.
From left to right m145 pouch with gatoraid bottle, grenade pouch with radio, armagedon gear tripod scabbard with rrs-anvil-30, HPG pouch on bottom of scabbard for VYCE, not carried tonight. On the other side, the PVS-27 in an entrenching tool pouch and mag pouch and the small hpg pouch with kestrel.
Crye Precision night cap with battery pouch on back and cable and cap for COTI and 14 and rhino. COMTACV Dual with PITT for radio.

==
The last night's setup worked the best, but that's because, I'm learning each night. With additional coaching from KSE finally got the biathlon sling working correctly last night and it was MUCH better. Goal is hands free long carry for bolt guns. This is indicated as moving in the creeks and up and down the creek banks we need hands free to grab things like sapplings and branches and such.

What didn't work so well last night, need EOG for counterweight on NC, I was having to adjust it periodically as the weight pulled the NODs down onto my nose. This has happened before and the counterweight and better tightening sequencing when putting it on, will fix.
My new phone cam failed miserably and I could only get two pics last night and both are terrible, but the other 18 which 10x worse. I can't get this phone cam to focus thru lens. Somehow it works different than all my previous 10 phone cams :D

50988052862_8295ae9e90_k.jpg

50987246433_56d8ddade4_k.jpg

==
The purpose of these excursions is to provide anti-yote support for the cows, who are due to start calving in 2-3 weeks. Once they actually start, I'll move them to our alfalfa patch which is closer to the house, so I'll be able to go out 3 times a night for overwatch. Now I'm going 1.8km out and 1.8km back on foot across fences, creeks, streams up and down hills. But that's good too. Good exercise and good practice with the gear.
But to optimize anti-yote defense, need more time looking thru the scope.
I'm taking both the 27 and the UTC and spending about equal time behind both. The UTC would be more likely to first spot an approaching yote, which would probably be down in or behind vegetation, but the 27 has a great view and I can ID specific cows, the bull, etc. So, its definitely worth watching with both. I switch them out about every 20m. Unfortunately none of the 27 pics sp far are worth showing.
The range to the cows from the 3 positions I've setup at varies between about 200yds and about 300yds. Its along our main creek and theres a high bank and steep hill above that, as a backdrop. The creek still has a lot of ice in it, but the area where I set up the bale feeders and the protein tubes is near the ford in this section and there's some large pools of water about. So the cows are having a good partee at night with all that for them :)
My positions have been in and along a ridge to the North of the cows, with a sparse tree line running along the South side of the ridge where I'm setting up. It gets me elevation over the area where the cows are. Behind me is a small pond but is not got much water it in and its still mostly ice. We're technically in a drought, which is why I've moved them from the NW pasture to the S pasture on this quarter, to get them down in the creek where there's still water. It was really exciting during the cold snap when the creek was freezing over I had to use axe and even the tractor itself on two days, to break the ice. We barely made it. If the snap had lasted another week, I would have had to move them to another section of the creek that still hadn't frozen. We set several records during that cold snap!

Ok, our friend...
Btw u and @TheHorta

Since the turds running Flir and pulsar took our 2k loaner to rookies, options off the tables,

And one of you knowing I run LWTS and Reap/ir, what is my current best 2k 2.5k option for a loaner thermal for the guests... I'm getting really protective of the lwts n reaps.

I've ended up selling the rookies all my 2k units exc one PTS233...

helphelp....

... what is my current best 2k 2.5k option for a loaner ...

In that price range, you pretty much have to go with PRC options (or made mostly from PRC parts in various other ganglands to confuse buyers).

The only close competition for USA made are the AGM FLIR cored thermals (the non FLIR cored are PRC but the FLIR cored are USA).

That said, I haven't tried the AGM FLIR cored yet. Though they are basically copies of the Armasights (with slightly modified housings). A 10% discount can be had from OP by putting the unit in cart and calling them on phone and asking.

This is the bottom of the bucket for the AGM FLIR cored the 25mm unit, basically a "predator" with the 10% discount its $3k

I'm sure you've used Armasight tau-2 cored units back in the day, these are basically those. Definitely usable but without "shock and awe" of image in newer cores. Still definitely usable for hogs and yotes out to 300yds.

In that price range, you pretty much have to go with PRC options (or made mostly from PRC parts in various other ganglands to confuse buyers).

The only close competition for USA made are the AGM FLIR cored thermals (the non FLIR cored are PRC but the FLIR cored are USA).

That said, I haven't tried the AGM FLIR cored yet. Though they are basically copies of the Armasights (with slightly modified housings). A 10% discount can be had from OP by putting the unit in cart and calling them on phone and asking.

This is the bottom of the bucket for the AGM FLIR cored the 25mm unit, basically a "predator" with the 10% discount its $3k

I'm sure you've used Armasight tau-2 cored units back in the day, these are basically those. Definitely usable but without "shock and awe" of image in newer cores. Still definitely usable for hogs and yotes out to 300yds.

Exactly what I need for loaners.

Shock and awe has never been a requirement, turn on, use, turn off, go home w ded pig.

Thank you much !

... have you ever messed with one of these ...

I've looked but not messed ... based on my looking (and price) I decided they were likely PRC units. Issue for me with PRC units, is they are not made to stand up to field conditions. Work fine in the house or maybe out in the yard on a good weather day, but not under field conditions. YMMV
:)
If you get one, please let us know how it holds up in the field !!

Reactions: stefan73
I've looked but not messed ... based on my looking (and price) I decided they were likely PRC units. Issue for me with PRC units, is they are not made to stand up to field conditions. Work fine in the house or maybe out in the yard on a good weather day, but not under field conditions. YMMV
:)
If you get one, please let us know how it holds up in the field !!
I might try one out. It might be a reasonable device for us "Poors". I know one guy in a Sako page has one on his TRG and he likes it so far.

2021-03-14/21
Times between 2100 and 0500
Wind between nil and 10 MPH, boxing the compass
Temps between 40F and 20F

Goals: Overwatch calving cows

Environment: Over the past week, we've continued with the pattern started two weeks ago of getting significant amounts of rain. This is strategically good as we've been in drought. I'm sure we are not now. We are in mud city. The mud is literally knee deep in the corral, the deepest mud I've encountered other than the rare "mud sink" along the creek banks.
Skies have been totally socked in to crystal clear, highly variable. One night we had HEAVY mist, one of the 3 heaviest mist nights I've encountered in the past 9 years we've been on this land.
The creek is running to running hard though not overflowing banks and the rain has not been gully washer style but slow and steady between light and strong. This is good, less erosion happening and provides good sound cover.
The wind has also provided some sound cover on most nights.

Equipment: Three of my six active centerfire rifles/carbines are being used (the other 3 matching pairs are down for maintenance).

51058679866_b2188779f3_k.jpg

(new phone still sucques at taking pics :D )

So, right now I have the UTC-x on the REM700 762(22) Bravo/Criterion bolt gun with the L&S mk6 3-18x T3, shooting up the rest of FGMM 175gr 762 load ... sub 1/2 iphy even with me shootin' it. I have a 44gr varget load for the 175gr SMK, and continue to load/accumulate those. They are also sub 1/2 iphy.

The UTC is on the mk12 556(18) with L&S mk4 2.5-8x TMR shooting IMI77gr as the RAM TACT 24.3gr load for 77gr SMK I'm down to 150 rds and don't want to shoot that until I can load up a bunch more. The IMI is totally fine for critter control out to 500yds.

With the mk18-ish 556(10) with the eotech and OTAL + ELIR-3, I use a helmet mount dual band setup.

On the mk12, with a 1.5 center mount on the L&S scope, the cheek stock weld is not optimal, I am gonna add a spare RISR to the CTR I have laying around and see if that helps. I've tried a RISR in a few other cases and it hasn't improved any situations I've had thus far - we will see if it can this time :D
The UTC being 1.31 center and the L&S being 1.5 center does not seem to cause a POI shift, based on results. I got a hit on the coon, it jerked and spun but continued to drag ass away and so I fired a second shot and it went belly up wiggling ... both 2 of two shots were hits at 90m.

Activities: The cows started calving last Sunday ...

51035656208_cfdbd86be3_k.jpg

So that triggered the multi-hour exercise of moving the 23 adult females and 1 bull from the winter pasture (2 miles to the NE) over to the alfalfa patch, near the house, where I can better keep an eye on them.

51050347313_32f60a0923_h.jpg

With the rifles, I walk out to predetermined spots to give me a decent field of fire over the alfalfa patch and setup ... and do 360s from that spot for about an hour and then RTB. Repeat that 2-3 times per night at random times ( I set my alarm on my phone so I can jump up at the indicated time).
With the carbine I'm walkin' and stakin' climbing over the fences and up and down the creek banks.

The kills this week have only been 3 opossum and 2 coons and 2 mice. The bolt gun got all of them except 1 coon the mk12 got last night. No kills for the carbine yet.

No yotes spotted. Only one probably yote even heard (challenge barking at 1/2 mile + distance). I'm surprised, usually the yotes are swarming the calving cows. But I figured once they yet the scent they've been camping around the cows as they have in previous years.

Results: None of these shots were in the open, in all cases the critter was in or behind 1 or more layers of vegetation, that means the bullets are likely scrapping vegetation along their paths, out of 11 shots fired, killed 7 critters and at least 2 of those shots I called as misses since no visible change in critter behavior. Shooting across a creek bank into/thru woods, is a bit of a challenge, but that is the terrain I'm in so I'll keep it :D

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Went out to wigwamitus' place this past weekend for a few activities. Some cow watching, a tiny bit of fence repair, but mostly to have him talk me through some precision rifle work. He talked at me a bit about good positions, hated on my Parker Hale bipod and helped me not second guess myself too badly, so I am back to being able to hit things with my formerly-PSS.

Once sure it's zeroed and doing right at 100, did a series of first round hits (mostly on 2/3rds USPSA steel) to 605 yds, in winds up to 19 mph. Took 5 shots to get on at 730, and I could blame winds-aloft (big valley at that point, bullet is a few hundred feet up) or shooting through grass so hard to see, but also I did stuff like dialed windage the wrong direction because if there's anything I can do wrong, it is get signs inverted. I said I'd second guess myself a lot!

mceclip0.jpg

Then after dinner and far too much setup and some radio/accessory oddities we never figured out, headed out just after dusk and hiked a good distance across his land with my 5.56 SBR and his... Mk11 I wanna say? I forget and it was dark. Oh, except for being yawning tired before setting off so I ditched my armor I wore my usual kit, LBE and Crossfire DG-3. Almost immediately needed taller boots, from a deep creek, so took a while to get around that, but mostly the hike was fine and I was less tired than I expected. Set an OP/SH, and I got to see many bunnies and one coyote running around like a maniac through his TigIR. Nice unit. Jealous. I brought almost exactly what was needed, put on the French smock halfway through the OP time because it wasn't super cold (seemed lower than the 60°s but we didn't pull out a Kestrel and check) but windy as hell, and sat on the German sleeping mat and ground sheet to make it much more comfy and warm.

Good to see through the tripoded clipon, do a side-by-side to prove out resolution vs detection-limits. I had a 1x 320 thermal on my head, used for general navigation purposes etc. I have got video of it following a vehicle out to something like 1000 yds and counting people to 800. This weekend I was able to clearly see that the thing far away over there (700 yds?) is a highway bridge and see vehicles crossing it, but never even sorta found any wildlife (even when oriented with the TigIR) out past 100 yds or so in a not-too-long-ago-burned field.

Also tried his PVS27 and while I didn't bring my 30 with us, so couldn't do a side by side, it didn't seem radically brighter despite bigger glass. Too dark to tell how good resolution was and we didn't bring an illuminator either.

No worthy enough critters ever held still long enough to even start to discuss taking a shot, so after a long, long time, packed up and headed back. Bed by 2 am. I was not rested enough for this, but made proper hiking speed the whole time (I think! We'll see if I am refuted!) and wasn't a menace on the drive home the next morning.

Need to get back sometime, and my personal goal is to get some shots out to range with the PVS30 on my bolt gun, see how it holds at distance. I have shot it (before) to 300 and it works, but that's it. Want to stretch it a bit to see how it observes and shoots out further. Love to find I can shoot to the 6-700 yd range with that but need to try it to know my limits and capabilities.

Last edited:
Hey Hoob, thanks for coming out, enjoyed the exercise !! We need more pics ! The one it looks like you tried to post isn't working. I know FLICKR works with the hide, so you could host there.

From my side, Hoob's #1 goal was to verify his bolt gun was working and short version is the gun was fine, no issues. It was interesting as we were shooting the 100yd shots in a decent x-wind which was actually moving the bullets enough to matter. But vertically all his groups were sub-moa ... and 4 of 5 were sub-moa period. He was shooting FGMM 175s which is good ammo for the gun he was shooting a 24" REM700 factory gun. Same as mine except I've put criterion barrels on them.

In the field, has he said he got 1st round hits at 425, 510 and 610 yards. Only missed at 732yds due to "mistakes were made" :D But definitely way above average!

The night walk was more intersting than usual due to having had more rain than usual lately and hence water levels were higher. I took point in the initial sector because I wasn't sure exactly what we'd be facing down in the creek and as he said it was a bit deep. I was ok in the deep section as I had on creek boots, but Steve's "hiking shoes" ? (not sure what they were) indicated he would stay on the bank for a bit. Then we hit a rocky section so he came down into the creek. Then we rounded a bend and "suck" I was knee deep in mud and sinking fast. Fortunately, I was able to warn him away so he didn't sink in. I'm an experienced "mud man" - been there done that - so I just laid down in it to distribute my weight better and crawled out ... and as usual .. that worked fine ... well except now I was covered in mud ... but once you've been through the routine you don't notice it (much) :)
Then we crossed an isthmus to avoid a really deep section and then Steve took point and led us up a bank and through the woods. Things got easier after that. We did see a zillion rabbits on the way out ... and at the OP ... and on the way back ... but saw no targets (we weren't going after rabbits on this trip).
The time at the OP was uneventful. I ranged every useful landmark around us for reference, building a mental range card. Like 668yds to a bridge we could see in the distance. 295yds to a clump of trees at the higher elevation to the West ... we were on a low ridge backed up by a higher ridge to our "rear" overwatching about 1000yds of creek to our "front" ... the higher ridge behind us was 175yds ... two fences were between us and the creek (all this is on my land (except the bridge) one at 100yds and the other at 175yds ... with the creek generally at 300yds. I dialed for 200yds because that seemed to be where most of the rabbits were and if a yote showed up to go after the rabbits, we'd be ready. The Tig magnification was 2x and the L&S mk4 2.5-8x scope on the mk12 was on 2.5x which is a sweet spot on image. The clicks on the turret were half value so the normal 1/2 moa clicks were 1/4 moa. AB said 1 MOA up so I dialed 4 clicks. The 10 mph wind required 1.5 MOA and that was 6 clicks.
We had no moon and there was some overcast, so it was one of those DARK nights ... and while the 27 could see the terrain well, it couldn't pick up the rabbits, the moon didn't even start rising until 1am so we had no useful Illum.

But it was good to finally be able to get a night walk under our belts out here. I've been on a night walk with Hoob's crew over near St. Louis with 12 people in 3 x 4 man teams ... 2 aggressor and one defender and it was great!

So Hoob, rest up and get back out here and we'll do something more challenging !! And thanks again for coming out !

Reactions: WhereNow&How
You have a much better memory for numbers (range card) than me! I think I forgot most of those before we left the OP. Much more info my glow in the dark notebook because of this!

Boots are Danner GTX 200g Thinsulate Goretex. Normal 8" hiking boots, so after that first very deep creek no problem fording, banging my feet into loose rocks, etc.