• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

richards microfit stock **** pics updated

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
Well i ordered a new stock for my 300 as i just noticed the stock i had on it was cracked at the recoil lug. Anyone have any idea what would cause a stock to break at the recoil lug? Maybe it was because the recoil lug was bedded tight. I found out after the fact that shouldnt have been done
frown.gif

So i ordered a target model BR stock from richards with finger grooves and opened up to 1 1/4 for my barrel.
Anyone have any hands on experience with his stocks?

Re: richards microfit stock

The bedding should fit tight,do you mean that the action screws were over tightened.

the recoil lug should have a gap of .005-8 on the left and the right as well as the muzzle side of the lug but the action side should be tight as possible

this is why in bedding videos and directions they say to use tape on these sises to give you the clearance required but no tape on the action side to give precision fit

it probably cracked because the 300 is a 3 legged donkey i have one and i shoot it when i have too, with out a muzzle brake im willing to bet the recoil is larger that a m82a1.

Be prepared for a lot of sanding and finishing and a long wait. I hope they prove me wrong but from what I understand these are common complaints. Please update your thread when it comes in.

Yep, I've done the Richard's thing, and you're going to need some sandpaper. And a lot of patience.
However, if you enjoy wood working, there's a certain satisfaction in having done your own stock.

I've finished a couple of the Richard's stocks and, as already mentioned, it takes a bit of work. I'd guess 20-30 hours per stock is what I had in mine, but they are pretty nice when finished.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be prepared for a lot of sanding and finishing and a long wait. I hope they prove me wrong but from what I understand these are common complaints. Please update your thread when it comes in. </div></div>

wow, you were not shittin me on the wait and the sanding. I just got the stock last night, its rough....... very rough. I will update pics and such as i go along with it.

I am just finishing up a Richards Microfit myself. I wanted the shape and profile of a McMillan HTG or M40A1 stock, but in laminate. They didnt have anything close to that so I ordered on of their Marksman target models with an extended and uncontoured butt. The roughness didnt bother me because I had to do all of the shaping smoothing by hand anyway. Added an ebony forend tip and I am very pleased with the results.

I am about to place an order for one of there stocks for my 300WM. I would love to see how yours turns out.

nice t tull, i think mine will be a very nice looking stock when its all done finally, i got the tactical bench stock, 1.25 barrel channel, extra wood for the finger grooves, no vents down forearm, swivel studs etc.. i got it in the grade right under exhibition walnut. Im going to have it finished at my buddies cabinet shop with a clear lacquer to make it shine.

Chris be ready for a wait.... mine was ordered back in november and i just got it.

O and i will add, they are very nice people to deal with. I only had 1 annoyance was it was suppose to ship 2 weeks ago when i called and the lady confirmed it would. Then i called back a week later and got the tracking number, After 2 days after i got the tracking number it was shipped. O well it was only 2 weeks compared ive seen worse.

Here is a pic of mine. It has been pillar bedded and is ready to go. Now just waiting for the time to Cerakote the barreled action and she's ready for the range. The color is rosewood.

[img:left]
P1060177.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J. Tull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a pic of mine. It has been pillar bedded and is ready to go. Now just waiting for the time to Cerakote the barreled action and she's ready for the range. The color is rosewood.

[img:left]
P1060177.jpg
[/img] </div></div>
Looks great. How far off was the inletting? Mine is far far away from being the 96% inlet they advertize.

i bought a dual purpose thumbhole in exhibit grade english walnut for my father in law as a thanks for giving me your daughter gift lol

he is a wood working kind of guy so he really liked the rough stock and he knows what to do with it. Will be nice to see when he finishes working with it.

But yeah, if you are not in a rush and if you like working wood, they are fun. Would not mind picking up more of their stocks in the future, one for my MK77/17 and one for my M70 feather weight .243. Buti have more important things to take care of first.

The inletting was very close as it came. I just roughed up adn removed some of the wood in the areas where the bedding compound was going to be. Given that this was for an FN SPR action, it was damn near perfect. It isnt as simple as the rounded Remingtons.