• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Riddle me this...

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I have been using iBallistic and the like for a few years now. I have never had any issues with trajectory matching up to actual rounds on paper... at any range within 1K. When I work up loads, EVERYTHING gets shot over my Oehler 35P. The chrono has always been reliable and accurate. My question is this:

My 26" 8 twist WOA AR .223 will not match up. I zero my loads at 200, and then stretch it out. 400, 500ish were ALL at least 1.5 min high. I adjusted the bc of the 75 AMAX to .275 G7, and the MV to 2900, and the dope was DEAD on for 550 or 650 (whichever that was) and then hit within a couple of inches at 910. Had I done this with the proper .212 G7 and 2780 MV, It would have hit more than two feet high. How can this be happening? It does the same with the 77 SMK as well. The loads are good for less than 1/2 min.

I understand the output on ballistic calculators are only as good as the information on the input side, but for the past few years it has ALWAYS been damn near dead nuts right out of the box.

Did you confirm your zero before and after? That's a good way to rule out a POI shifting problem.

Sometimes things come loose which screws the dope up. A month ago I was working up dope for a new barrel and couldn't get things to line up, I finally discovered the muzzle brake was loose, all was well after that.

Another thing that happened to a friend (shooter program) was that he had mistakenly input 10fps per degree on powder temp and had the automatic atmosphere on. What a mess that was, LOL.

200 yard zero confirmed prior to taking any further shots. The iBallistic inputs haven't changed except the atmospheric. The scope is a VXIII that I've had for years and it has ALWAYS been very reliable. Im fine with everything, except for the fact that the input has always given damn near perfect real world trajectory solutions. The .223 75 AMAX does not have a .275 G7, and I'm pretty sure its not coming out of my barrel any faster than what the chrono says. Its crazy. The windage was even perfect at the inflated value at 910.

By the way, the load is the 75 AMAX over 23.5 gr. of IMR 8208 XBR and WIN brass. Lit with CCI BR4. This is inside a 20 round Magpul mag that I took apart and massage the inside with a couple of files and made the walls front and back thinner. COAL to ogive is 1.800". The 100 yard group was .3 something. Haven't shot any coyotes with it yet, but it works well on prairie dogs out to 250 so far...