• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rifle Bedding Video

STR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2010
Miami Florida
I'm posting these videos at the request of some of the guys here in the past, and in responce to a current thread asking about bedding compounds. It shows one of the many ways to bed a barreled action with the use of pillars. It is inttended for anyone to do at home if they wish to do so. This has proven to work for me, yet I understand there are other ways. William Roscoe post an excellent presentation on how to do this job with great pictures, and how to instructions. Mine is in no way better, just a little different, and in video form. I hope that it helps others to understand why, and how to pillar bed a rifle. Thank you.

http://youtu.be/GItWubJX6VY

http://youtu.be/GItWubJX6VY

http://youtu.be/LZ5LKt0rmKQ

http://youtu.be/lmH-39ay-j8

http://youtu.be/EKBPDYndtqk

http://youtu.be/pGgly1ZcMeU

http://youtu.be/lxDuT3dbMD4

http://youtu.be/bfOlwzTSdY0

Re: Rifle Bedding Video

You're very welcome. If anyone is concerned about uneven gaps between their barrel and the stock on each side, don't be for the purpose of performance. I personally don't like it, and I do fix it. Roughly speaking, I hog out the barrel channel. Then apply 3 layers of .020 mil tape to the barrel. This will create a .060 mil even gap all the way around the barrel after bedding. Leave the bedding proud while curing, and sand it level with the stock when cured. When you refinish the stock, it will look perfect. .060 mil clearance will look great on a tactical precision rifle that will never interfere with the barrel under fire. Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for posting these! </div></div>

+1 Thank you

If you have a barrel channel that is quite a bit over sized, what do you use to fill it in with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have a barrel channel that is quite a bit over sized, what do you use to fill it in with? </div></div>

I use lightweight body filler(bondo). Bedding compound of your choice will work as well more expensive than filler.

To fill the voids, I like to use the same as I use for bedding. It cost a little more, but it's all done in one shot. A quart of Marine Tex is about $100.00, and will do a bunch of rifles. When you factor in how much you actually spend on a custom build, bedding material is really a minimal part of the expense, even when it's expensive bedding material.

Body filler will also work fine in the areas such as the barrel channel where mechanical strength is not a big factor. I've never tried it myself, but have seen it done by others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never tried it myself, but have seen it done by others. </div></div>
Toooooo modest. You my friend know everything.

I'm having the same issue with video #1 repeating itself, any clues?

I can't wait to watch them. I don't have sound on the computer I'm on at the moment.

Good gorilla, I looked up you're location in Florida, and I saw that you're very close to Ocala. I don't know if you have a place to shoot to 1000 yards, but a very good friend of mine opened an awesome training facility in the sticks which includes a 1000 yard range with steel at every 100 yards. You can only shoot prone from a covered platform in case it rains. I saw it, and got to shoot there for the first time about two weeks ago. I have no idea how he plans to market his business, but I do know it's a pretty nice place to shoot. The property is about 3200 acres, and has a lot more than long range available. My friends name is John Gardner, and the company name is Force 4 if you care to look up his web page. If anyone's interested, i can post some cell phone pics, let me know.

Good gorilla, I looked up you're location in Florida, and I saw that you're very close to Ocala. I don't know if you have a place to shoot to 1000 yards, but a very good friend of mine opened an awesome training facility in the sticks which includes a 1000 yard range with steel at every 100 yards. You can only shoot prone from a covered platform in case it rains. I saw it, and got to shoot there for the first time about two weeks ago. I have no idea how he plans to market his business, but I do know it's a pretty nice place to shoot. The property is about 3200 acres, and has a lot more than long range available. My friends name is John Gardner, and the company name is Force 4 if you care to look up his web page. If anyone's interested, i can post some cell phone pics, let me know.
I'm interested. I'm in Volusia County and have a pretty decent place to shoot to 300 meters and occasionally there's a chance to shoot to 1000, but rarely. I could not find the Force 4 your friend is associated with in a simple google search. Actually 2 searches. There are a number of Force 4 references, but none that I could recognize as related to a range.

Ok, we are going to meet up for two days of shooting on the 24th and 25th of this month. That's a Thursday and Friday. It will be a very small group of shooters. No more than 7. We are paying him $60.00 a day per shooter. First day we plan to shoot from about 12:30 PM to about 5 Pm. The following day will be from around 9 am to about 2 pm. If you're interested, please PM me. Thanks.

I'm interested. I'm in Volusia County and have a pretty decent place to shoot to 300 meters and occasionally there's a chance to shoot to 1000, but rarely. I could not find the Force 4 your friend is associated with in a simple google search. Actually 2 searches. There are a number of Force 4 references, but none that I could recognize as related to a range.
Here is another place that has a 1000 yard range in FL.
HomePage
I hope to see you at the range in Ocala, I can't wait.

Last edited:
Had a great time meeting everyone today. I hope you have as good shooting weather tomorrow, and a safe drive home. John put together a really nice facility, I wish we could have seen more of the other shooting positions he told me about. Ryan, congrats on your first session at long range, you did great. You do realize that this hobby will consume your thoughts, dreams and pocketbook from now on. Ozzy, give me a shout when you get some free time, there are some other functions that you can use to make that program even better and more reliable. Give me a shout when ya'll head back this way.

LR-WSM, thank you very much for all your help today. Anyone can own an accurate precision rifle, but without the correct useful data, it's no better than a club. Your help turned my three rifles into reliable working systems. Again, thank you!

Had a great time meeting everyone today. I hope you have as good shooting weather tomorrow, and a safe drive home. John put together a really nice facility, I wish we could have seen more of the other shooting positions he told me about. Ryan, congrats on your first session at long range, you did great. You do realize that this hobby will consume your thoughts, dreams and pocketbook from now on. Ozzy, give me a shout when you get some free time, there are some other functions that you can use to make that program even better and more reliable. Give me a shout when ya'll head back this way.

I had the time of my life over there the past few days, and am deeply grateful for all the help I was given. I've been thinking for the past several hours about all the stuff that I had learned at the range the past few days, and there are many things you can only learn through experience. I hope we get to do something like this again in the future. It should probably also be said that LR-WSM was the first to get me out to 1k yards.

Last edited:

The full name of the company is Force 4 training, and their websight is www.force4training.com
email: [email protected]
phone number for John Gardner: 1-855-636-7234
Locations: Miami, Labelle, Ocala, and Tallahassee FL

A beautiful Job. Good work on the videos! From a fellow retired Gunnery Sergeant.

Semper Fi,

wallyw