• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Camo, why? (Can of worms)

Well Boone...apparently that's not good enough and it's still mall ninja. Ten demerits

I saw pics online of a guy with a nib S&B on a new AI AX and a can of Krylon. This is why I started this thread. I like well done camo stocks like Gap and LRI makes some beautiful camo jobs. But rattle can a great looking AI? WTF.

Because if we dont paint our rifles...the antelope will see us and attack. You really should know these things.

I cant leave anything stock. I paint everything. trucks? check. Harley? Check. Trailers? check. Guns? check. if it is looks/works good in the original color, it will look/work much better in krylon.

cause-thats-why.jpg

LMAO!!!! This is my favorite answer with "because I fucking want to" right behind it for second best answer. Aren't we in America, where we still have a choice, somewhat, of what we want our personal shit to look like??? If you don't like camo, don't paint it camo. Who cares if the owner is an "operator" or not. I personally like it a lot just because it looks cool.

[MENTION=7637]Diver[/MENTION] your son did an excellent job.

After rusting Remington's and having to strip them down I got thoroughly annoyed and started painting everything. I'd paint my AIAE if I had the proper torque wrench.

Here's a couple pics with masking tape pulled, fully dressed.

This is a 20.5" Rem 700 Varmint, HTG stock, Wyatt's mag box, Badger floorplate and knob, Timney flat trigger, 40 moa NF base, 2.5-8x36 Leup with M1's. 72 moa on tap from a 100 yd zero, 208 AMax at 2550 fps.

I saw pics online of a guy with a nib S&B on a new AI AX and a can of Krylon. This is why I started this thread. I like well done camo stocks like Gap and LRI makes some beautiful camo jobs. But rattle can a great looking AI? WTF.

Simply because it is something different for me. Professional paint jobs are great for those who want them and the same goes for the krylon junkies. I'll be the first to say I think a McMillan woodland molded in covered in worn krylon looks badass. I also like chipped up professionally painted guns. I like them all, except black because it's boring and paint jobs that show no wear because the paint is protected with velcro and what not(boring too).

I paint my rifles so @Sisco308 will think I'm cool.

The first long tabber I ever met in the Army was my XO in basic training. I could barely understand anything he said, because he had a hardcore Latin accent, and he just never really spoke. He wasn't around very often, but when he was, I was in awe of him. While at Mckenna MOUT site, he was there and told me something that stuck with me to this day. He walked up to me and three other guys in a stack, and in his hardcore accent he said, "hey privates, there are two rules in the Army. One, always look cool. Two, always know where you are at. If you can't do number two, revert back to number one." Then he just walked away like he never even said anything to us. That is why I paint my rifles now, that one quote. Unfortunately I got stress fractures in my feet two days later, and was medically chaptered from the Army because of it. Those were the best 10 weeks I've ever experienced. I learned so much there, it has shaped my life from that point on. You learn a lot when you are in the shit.

I have to add that half of that story is a complete fabrication.

Last edited:
What really worries me, is the "mind set" of some people. Non- hunters buying ghilly suits at Cabela's. Guys with threads that ask for advice for a gun that will hit "human targets" at a thousand Yds. Guy's buying gadgets to make their guns full auto. Guys getting "all revved up, with no place to go". Somebody like that snaps, and we all pay for it.

Like, I'm trying to remember all the guys that used painted rifles in mass murders. O.K. Who was that dude? Was there even one? Maybe, but I can't think of one at the moment. But, yeah, I know what you mean. Civilians shouldn't be allowed to own firearms if their sole concern is security of a free State. Maybe it should be a crime to own Krylon if you own a firearm. Then we'd never have to worry about loonies again.Or, why even let people with that "mind set" even own firearms? OTOH, there are mind sets more dangerous than theirs, and yours is one of them.

Reactions: Aftermath
''What really worries me, is the "mind set" of some people. Non- hunters buying ghilly suits at Cabela's. Guys with threads that ask for advice for a gun that will hit "human targets" at a thousand Yds. Guy's buying gadgets to make their guns full auto. Guys getting "all revved up, with no place to go". Somebody like that snaps, and we all pay for it.''

People who think like this is what really worries me.^^^^^^^^The right to bare arms is not for hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aftermath
3rd grade. Friend decided to color his dick black with a magic marker. Claimed he got the idea from MAD magazine. Took a very very long time for that shit to wear off and he got his ass beat good by his mom.

John?!? Is that you buddy?!? It's been a long time bro!

P.S. That shit's almost worn off.

Love,

Black Betty

Shit" I'm just waiting for new GAP so I can Krylon the hell out of it......Viva camo.....

Oh, yeah. How come nobody uses Navy camo. Sailor falls overboard in his cammies and he is a goner. Good shit. Think about it.

I never understood Navy cammo. Like you are not noticeable on a BIG BOAT.

I paint my rifles so @Sisco308 will think I'm cool.

The first long tabber I ever met in the Army was my XO in basic training. I could barely understand anything he said, because he had a hardcore Latin accent, and he just never really spoke. He wasn't around very often, but when he was, I was in awe of him. While at Mckenna MOUT site, he was there and told me something that stuck with me to this day. He walked up to me and three other guys in a stack, and in his hardcore accent he said, "hey privates, there are two rules in the Army. One, always look cool. Two, always know where you are at. If you can't do number two, revert back to number one." Then he just walked away like he never even said anything to us. That is why I paint my rifles now, that one quote. Unfortunately I got stress fractures in my feet two days later, and was medically chaptered from the Army because of it. Those were the best 10 weeks I've ever experienced. I learned so much there, it has shaped my life from that point on. You learn a lot when you are in the shit.

I have to add that half of that story is a complete fabrication.

When I flew fighters, the answer to why we did things the way we did was:

1) Looks good
2) Great fun
3) Chicks dig it.

:)

I never understood Navy cammo. Like you are not noticeable on a BIG BOAT.

Yeah, I have to chuckle every time I see the "aquaflage"/"blueberries"...<shrug> The Navy, it's a changing...for the good in many ways...

Because it isn't a fashion show for some of us and we can't afford Shortbus to do his magic on the couple dozen plus long guns we may happen to have. That's a whole lot of ammo. Attractive stocks are made of fine wood, everything else more than qualifies for paint.

Krylon goes on and comes off easy as shit. I'd change my '40 every season and a couple times each float. I still break out the rattle can on everything that does or might hit the bush with me. It's a fucking tool, not a Faberge Egg. Some of us get that, others not so much.

To quote a special someone, "What difference does it make" what anyone else does to their rifles? It's like Milan Fashion Week in here....

It's really what a person likes or dislikes............. some like fords and some chevys while others prefer dodge. I love plain vanilla ice cream while strawberry does nothing for me.

I like digital so I have done a few of mine in that theme. Some wont like it but I could give a flip......... it works for me

Krylon........

16inch308.jpg

Duracoat........

65digi3.jpg

Cerakote........

POF5_zps9dcc1f8b.jpg

Oh and my rendition of the navy digital............

MY455BUILD_zpscec22a88.jpg

I learned my lesson and tried my best to do a "sweet" camo job on a rifle one time after perusing forums for hours looking at awe-inspiring camo jobs; only to find that I absolutely suck at Krylon camo paint jobs. I even prepped the surfaces with brake cleaner to no avail. The paint looked OK from afar, but up close it was horrible. I will only have my firearms professionally cerakoted from now on. It worth every penny.

And to answer the OP's original question: it's very helpful to camo/paint your rifle out here in the southwest. Ever tried handling a black gun in 100F+ heat? Ouch. I like to paint my rifles a coyote brown or desert sand, it keeps them much cooler when under the rays of Ra.

Attachments

• savagelrp-black.jpg
    savagelrp-black.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
It's really what a person likes or dislikes............. some like fords and some chevys while others prefer dodge. I love plain vanilla ice cream while strawberry does nothing for me.

I like digital so I have done a few of mine in that theme. Some wont like it but I could give a flip......... it works for me

Krylon........

16inch308.jpg

Duracoat........

65digi3.jpg

Cerakote........

POF5_zps9dcc1f8b.jpg

Ok, this might change my mind. Those look bad ass!! Way better than some Krylon coats! Who did those?

1. It's tacticool as hell.

2. You can't Join Gearwhoresanymous.com without a painted camo rifle.

3. Tired of jacking off so they find something else to play with.

I shoot an old rifle from 1976, still with all the factory metal parts, which were surface rusting and the bluing was going south. Krylon restores some color to the gun and provides protection from the elements.

I am also a shooter and hunter, and black sticks out like a mother.

Lastly... I could be called one of those 'wanna-be's all decked out in digi-cam. Well I am also a cheap bastard. So my pack, rear bags, pouches, etc are all purchased used or close-out, which means I have to deal with whatever color it is. I am mismatched camo from head to toe... but its cheap beater gear (just like my krylon) and I don't care. My girl loves me the way I am. =P

2zygyg4.jpg

Example of a real necessity to use cheap spray paint on a rifle. And la-di-da. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it matter?

1. As others have mentioned: professional cerakote jobs are spendy as hell. Aka ammo money.
2. The factory look is lame. Why be like everyone else?
3. It prevents rust.
4. It can be easily removed much unlike cerakote/duracoat.
5. Stay tuned, I'll be hitting $23,000 on this months' Krylon paint-o-meter here in the next few days. Pics to come.

I've seen many pics of professional and DIY camo jobs on the hide that look good. I just don't know if I'd ever fully commit to camo one of my rifles out. There's really only one thing that makes me say WTF when it comes to "customizing" guns, guys who purposely beat up their guns to make them look like they were carried into battle. I know, not my gun/money = none of my business, but I just can't grasp why someone would take a new $1000 + AR and scrape/beat the piss out of it.

I would so love to rattle can an AI PSR!

Here's some tricks to a proper camo job that looks as good as it is functional. Get the oil off it. Prep the spots you don't want paint on well. Take your time and have a good work space to do it where you can leave it alone once your done. Hang it by the sling swivel so you can do it all in one go without finger fucking wet paint. Do a good even base coat and let it dry before moving on. Keep the paint back a ways and use even sprays to prevent running. Don't lay it on too thick. Use vegetation in your area for breaking up the outlines; fern, oak leaves and pine needles work really well. Remember you're not trying to put lines into it, you're trying to blend and remove the lines so overlap your veg prints in a fading fashion, again keeping the nozzle back for a dusting effect versus a coating effect. Let it dry for at least twelve hours before handling and cure for three days before actual use, longer if you're in a humid area. A space heater nearby will help with that.

It's not supposed to look line anything when you get done. Some of the pro camo jobs do look cool, but honestly I don't like them when they put an actual pattern into them. Those M40s Culpeper posted are a prefect example of camouflaged rifles that actually hide you and your gear from observation. See any lines or printing in the pattern?

We were doing this long before Cerakote/Durakote/Suckmykote came around. Do I have rifles that are coated? Sure, it's a great protector and keeps me from having to lay on a base coat. Are they in a pattern? Nope, I'll handle that one according to my environment.

It will cover dings and scrapes and when it starts to wear off, you just hit it again. I have a McMillan Marksman that I bought used that is bkuenl/white marble. Folks, that ain't gonna work! I have Kryloned it several times and like the way that particular rifle looks. I have never painted new stocks I have ordered.

As far as Montana Marine's rifle, i have been on this site a long time and I believe he has been shooting that rifle since before forever. Hate to have him shooting at me. It's HIS rifle in my book.

Krylon........

16inch308.jpg

Duracoat........

65digi3.jpg

Cerakote........

POF5_zps9dcc1f8b.jpg

el gordo2

Outstanding paint jobs!
In the eventuality you painted these yourself, your profile says "unemployed"; it sounds like there are a few guys here who would like to put you to work.
What do you say?

Last edited:
I've seen many pics of professional and DIY camo jobs on the hide that look good. I just don't know if I'd ever fully commit to camo one of my rifles out. There's really only one thing that makes me say WTF when it comes to "customizing" guns, guys who purposely beat up their guns to make them look like they were carried into battle. I know, not my gun/money = none of my business, but I just can't grasp why someone would take a new $1000 + AR and scrape/beat the piss out of it.

While there may be those people, there are also those who actually just use the hell out of a rifle. They don't cherish it, rub it, stare at it, fuck it or any of that shit. I have some beat up rifles and I didn't throw em down the driveway for that "combat" look. I use them to kill things about 3-5 nights a week. It just happens, especially at night. Get off the couch and you'll see that.

While there may be those people, there are also those who actually just use the hell out of a rifle. They don't cherish it, rub it, stare at it, fuck it or any of that shit. I have some beat up rifles and I didn't throw em down the driveway for that "combat" look. I use them to kill things about 3-5 nights a week. It just happens, especially at night. Get off the couch and you'll see that.

Even "range guns" get beat up over time.

Oh, yeah. How come nobody uses Navy camo. Sailor falls overboard in his cammies and he is a goner. Good shit. Think about it.

I always thought it was designed to save lives when their ships are sunk out from under them. The sharks won't see them. :)

I always thought it was designed to save lives when their ships are sunk out from under them. The sharks won't see them. :)

Not funny, USS Indianapolis, or maybe I am getting too sensitive in my old days. It was a long time ago, you probably didn't think about it.

Pretty sure it was meant to disguise dirt, oil & grease stains. So Sailors don't have to buy new uniforms so often.

1- protection
2- like the look
3- it's my rifle
4- sets it apart from others
5- if it's ever needed in that sense, it's ready

Fresh paint:
image_zps892d490c.jpg

I guess the main reason I don't camo my rifles is that I'd probably lean it up against a tree to take a whiz and then not be able to find it when I was done :) :)

WELL CRAP! I wasn't even thinking about painting my guns til I read this post. Damn Gordo those are smokin designs. How do you do the digital? I know what I'll be screwing around with this winter ;)