• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Case/Bag Recommendation Needed

beb0541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2014
South Florida
Gents,

I am looking for a really top end rifle bag / case to carry my long guns (26 inch +) to and from where I shoot. I shoot outdoors, throw the guns in the back of the truck with other gear, they get banged around driving around the land, wet, etc... Needs to be padded / rugged / and carry well. Back pack straps would be an awesome plus.

Most options out there are drag bag esque and carry horribly. They are all really front heavy and the nose of the case angles down when carrying by the handles. Anyone found a good quality bag that addresses these issues?

I need to find a solution so any and all advice / input / photos would be tremendously appreciated!

Cheers,
Clark

The nose heavy issue was the first thing we addressed when designing the Triad Precision Rifle Carry Case. We carried the Eagle Drag Bag for a long time and always had to hear about the poor balance of that product.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/067jJBpTiuY" allowfullscreen="" height="480" width="853" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
You said "throw the guns in the back of the truck with other gear, they get banged around driving around the land, wet, etc... Needs to be padded / rugged / and carry well." I know you are thinking a bag but what about a Pelican case? If I was going to put my expensive gun in the back of my truck where it can get wet, banged around, etc. I wouldnt even think of putting it in a soft bag. I put my rifle in my soft bag in the cab of my truck so it doesnt get damaged.

If you have to have a soft bag then that Triad bag looks nice.

I was about to post a similar post. I just purchased a second rifle, and wanted a bag that would hold both my rifles. 1 of my rifles is an AR @ 35.5" in length, and my other will be either my .22 or the new Ruger American Ranch @ 36" in length.

Instead of carrying a range bag with ammo/miscellaneous supplies, and a pistol, I wanted to get one bag that could just double up on both. I've been looking at the Voodoo Tactical / Condor / Drago bags, and they're either in 36" which is too small since the internal length would be ~34.5", or the 42" which seems too big. Having separate pockets for the magazines are nice, and having a pistol pouch is also a plus. The new Voodoo Tactical Deluxe is tempting which has the individual pistol and AR magazine slots, along with the pistol / accessory slots.

Mine wouldn't be flopping in the back of a truck, but I do need to take it and hide down 3 stories of terrain to get to the shooting range from the parking lot.

I saw this bag, but I can't seem to find any good reviews and it looks like it's discontinued (not sure why). Armslist link below since it has the best pictures I can find regarding what this bag actually holds.

ARMSLIST - For Sale: VooDoo Tactical 40" Multi-Weapon Discreet Case

I'll take a look at the Triad stuff. Ideally I'm looking for a 38-40" double rifle case with a good separation for magazines/accessories (silencers, ammo).

We have a prototype of a double rifle case. The price was higher then we want so were looking at some changes. Trying to compete with imported bags is tough. Most don't mind paying for made in the USA when the difference in cost is small, but the bigger/more costly items tend to stretch that gap past acceptable.....

I have the voodoo bag for my 26 inch r 700; aics chassis, scope, etc, and it carries a little nose down even with the bipod off. If I grab the handles at the very front it seem to level out. It's very well made, zipper is rugged and lots of pockets.

Whats the easiest way to get a hold of a tac ops drag bag? I've been looking for the short bag in multi cam an haven't had much luck?

I have the voodoo tactical shooters mat and drag bag model 15-9334.
This is a well made and well thought out piece of kit. It is designed to hold most everything needed.
It has a pocket large enough to hold your log book, anemometer,and range finder and a separate pocket for a spotting scope.
It has a removable shoulder strap and removable or concealable backpack style straps.
Once opened up there is quite a lot of MOLLE style webbing and velcro panels for whatever you need.
This bag carries completely flat but the only drawback if you are looking to use it as a conventional rifle case is that it needs to be completely unfolded so that the rifle can be easily removed.

I also own several other voodoo tactical soft rifle cases such as the 36" and 46" enhanced rifle cases.
These can each carry 2 rifles and 2 pistols. Although these are great cases for going to and from the range they don't seem to offer the same level of protection as the above mentioned bag.

If you do not need the bag to open like a shooters mat Voodoo Tactical also has the Ultimate Drag Bag which has more storage than mine but I don't have any first hand experience with that bag.

Last edited:
Whats the easiest way to get a hold of a tac ops drag bag? I've been looking for the short bag in multi cam an haven't had much luck?
One company that carries Tac Ops Drag Bags and Stock Packs is "Tactical Works". They're not affiliated with Tac Ops in any way except that they sell Tac Ops Drag Bags and Stock Packs. LINK: Drag Bags :: Tactical Works, Inc.. If those guys are out or you want to deal direct with Tac Ops send me a PM and I'll give you ordering details. Only thing is that Tac Ops doesn't take credit cards so you'll have to pay via Postal Money Order.

There are also a few Hide vendors that sell Tac Ops ("Tactical Operations") Drag Bags under their own name. All Tac Ops products they're made in the U.S. by Tac Ops but instead of "Tactical Operations" embroidered on the drag bag and the (included) shooting mat the name of that company is embroidered instead. EurOptic LINK: Drag Bags and GA Precision LINK: Tac Ops Drag Bag come to mind.

BTW, for a rifle with a conventional "tactical" or "hunting" stock with a 26" long barrel you're going to need the "Long"/"Regular" size in a Tac Ops Drag Bag. I guarantee that the "Short" size will be several inches too short. I used to have an FN A3G (24" barrel Model 70 SA in a McMillan A3 stock) and I had to shoehorn it in and stretch the bag a little to get it in there.

Also, for the record, Tac Ops Drag Bags carry level and always have. In fact, the importance and need for level-carry was the genesis for Tac Ops designing and sewing their own drag bags. A long time ago Tac Ops used to sell Eagle Drag Bags, but unfortunately, Eagle drag bags suffered from the nose-heavy carry you mentioned and despite multiple suggestions from Tac Ops that Eagle move their carry handles back a few inches so Eagle drag bags would carry level Eagle refused.

Here are the features of the Tac Ops Gen 5 Plus Drag Bag:

- Heavy Duty 1000 Denier Cordura Construction

- Heavy Duty Double Pull Zippers

- Heavy Duty, properly positioned Carry Handles for level-carry

- Fully padded throughout with Closed Cell Foam

- Large Exterior Zippered Pocket with Single Hold-Down plus zippered "Slash" Pocket

- Detachable "Nose Cone" with HD Buckle attachment

- Large Exterior Pocket with Double Hold-Downs

- Metal-grommet Drain Holes on Exterior Pockets

- Fully-padded Exterior Suppressor Pocket with HD Buckle Closure

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Shooting Mat stores in Hide-Away Pocket on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Stow-Away Backpack Straps store in Hide-Away Pockets on Rear of Drag Bag

- Fully-padded Rifle Compartment with Dual Rifle Hold-Downs

- Zippered Accessory in Rifle Compartment for additional storage

- Full Length Cleaning Rod Pocket along Spine inside Rifle Compartment with Snap Closure

- Routing holes and/or slits for Hydration Bladder tube (Hydration Bladder not included)

- Tac Ops Lifetime Warranty

My 42.5" OAL Tac Ops X-Ray 51 in a SHORT Multicam Drag Bag. These's still easily another 1" or so of length:
X-Ray51inSHORTMultiCamGen5Plus28x6.jpg

Front of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:

TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamFRONT8x6.jpg

Rear of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:
TOGen5PlusSHORTMultiCamREAR8x6.jpg

Detachable Nose of Tac Ops Multicam Drag Bag:
TOGen5MuzzleCoverBuckleCUMultiCam8x6.jpg

TOGen5DBCoverRemovedMultiCam8x6.jpg

Butt-end Outer Zip Pockets and Closed-Cell Foam Padded Suppressor Pocket w/Heavy-Duty Buckle:
TODBExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

TODBOPENExteriorREARPocketSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

Included Closed Cell Foam-padded Hide-Away Shooting Mat measures approximately 48.5"LONG x 25.25" WIDE:
TacOpsShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

The Shooting Mat stores in a Hide-Away Pocket on the rear of the Tac Ops Drag Bag. Now you see it:
Hide-AwayShootingMatMultiCam8x6.jpg

...and now you dont:
Hide-AwayShoulderStrapShootingMatPockets8x6.jpg

More photos below...

Keith

Last edited:
Photos and descriptions continued...

Hide-Away Closed Cell Foam-padded Shoulder Harness stored:

Hide-AwayShoulderHarnessPocket8x6.jpg

Hide-AwayShoulderStrapShootingMatPockets8x6.jpg

Lower half of Harness pulled-out of Hide-Away pockets:
Hide-AwayShoulderStrapsMultiCam8x6.jpg

Deployed Closed Cell Foam Hide-Away Shoulder Harness w/Heavy-Duty Buckles:
DeployedHide-AwayShoulderHarnessMultiCam8x6.jpg

Closeup of Exterior Closed-Cell Foam Padded Suppressor Pocket w/Heavy-Duty Buckle:
TODBPaddedSuppressorPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

Muzzle End Large Exterior Pocket w/Dual Hold-Downs and Heavy-Duty Buckles:

Closeup of Zippered Interior Pocket and Snap-closure Cleaning Rod Pocket along the Tac Ops Drag Bag's "spine":
Gen5InteriorZipPocketOpenCleaningRodPocketMultiCam8x6.jpg

Closeup of Closed Cell Foam Padded Muzzle Protector Pocket:
TODBPaddedMuzzleProtectorMultiCam8X6-1.jpg

Closeup of Pistol Grip Hold-Down w/Heavy Duty Buckle:
REARRifleHoldDownMultiCam8x6.jpg

Closeup of Fore arm Hold-Down w/Heavy Duty Buckle:
FRONTRifleHoldDownMultiCam8x6.jpg

Keith