• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Rifle Choice

pcrage

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Hey guys quick question:

Looking at a rifle for some hunts out west (mulie/elk) over the next couple years. Need a .30-06 in my stable and was considering the following in that caliber:

Kimber Montana
Cooper Excalibur
Sako synthetic or Finnlite

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much..... Pete

Re: Rifle Choice

I don't have any experience with the Kimber or Cooper but I do have a Finnlite. It's a nice rifle. The stock came at 14-3/8" lop so I shortened it 3/4" and did a quick trigger job and it works very well. The tuperware stock is ugly as hell but very comfortable, I like the design. It's really accurate. Extra magazines are pretty spendy, as are the Sako Optilok rings but there are other brand rings that fit.

I would buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjcrage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys quick question:

Looking at a rifle for some hunts out west (mulie/elk) over the next couple years. Need a .30-06 in my stable and was considering the following in that caliber:

Kimber Montana
Cooper Excalibur
Sako synthetic or Finnlite

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks much..... Pete </div></div>

I would go with a Sako, or Finnlight. From what I have heard the Kimber Montana rifles have been hit, or miss. I also think that the Finnlight will be around $300 dollars less than the Cooper. You could use these savings to put towards ammo and glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ath23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sako....but look at remington 700's over the tikkas </div></div>
i think you have it backwards. tikka > remington.
smoother bolt throw, 60* throw, sako barrels, better stock trigger, detachable mags