• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle For Son

BullGear

Huckleberry Dillinger
Minuteman
  • Nov 29, 2017
    Hazzard County
    My son is interested in 600 yard shooting. Since I've never shot anything over 200 yards, I'm coming to you for help in what rifle and caliber we should be looking to purchase. He's out in California and is 31 years old. I'm going to surprise him with the rifle.

Nothing too exotic. Probably in the $1000 to $2000 range. Of course, the cheaper the better, but not at the expense of quality. New or used is fine. Your opinion please.

Reactions: acudaowner
    What kind of 600 yard shooting? Recreational steel? PRS? F-Class? Benchrest? Hunting capable? Can he/does he have interest in reloading? Does he have an appropriate scope for this rifle? If not, what’s the budget for the scope?

If it’s just for fun, you can shoot 600 yards with just about anything.

Reactions: camocorvette
    What kind of 600 yard shooting? Recreational steel? PRS? F-Class? Benchrest? Hunting capable? Can he/does he have interest in reloading? Does he have an appropriate scope for this rifle? If not, what’s the budget for the scope?

If it’s just for fun, you can shoot 600 yards with just about anything.

He doesn't know, but for right now, he'll probably just be clanging metal in the desert. He has an unlimited budget for glass. He just got a 6 figure bonus for leading a team that got a big payoff for the company. He is contemplating reloading. Again, the only thing stopping him would be supplies.

He probably will start hunting, but I think dad will buy him something more geared toward hunting at a later date.

A goods starter caliber would be a 6.5 Creedmoor. Not a bunch of recoil, easy to reload, and an abundance of decent factory ammo. Pick up a "precision rifle" I would look at a Savage for a starter rifle. Decent rifle for the $ and they shoot well.

Might depend on what you can get…and feed.

I’d probably recommend a Tikka T3x Tac A1, a Ruger Precsion Rifle, or a Savage Axxis, in that order, in that price range, if you are going new. Although it’s hard to reccommend anything except the Tikka on that list.

Or something like this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/stiller-tac30-6-creedmoor-build.7091852/

But you’ll have to shop around. .308 or 6.5 CM if you can find ammo. 6CM if barrel life is less of a concern.

Reactions: RS14
    Might depend on what you can get…and feed.

I’d probably recommend a Tikka T3x Tac A1, a Ruger Precsion Rifle, or a Savage Axxis, in that order, in that price range, if you are going new. Although it’s hard to reccommend anything except the Tikka on that list.

Or something like this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/stiller-tac30-6-creedmoor-build.7091852/

But you’ll have to shop around. .308 or 6.5 CM if you can find ammo. 6CM if barrel life is less of a concern.

Thanks, I was thinking of a used Tikka. I don't know how difficult it will be to find any NEW rifles.

Reactions: OREGUN
    If they have an unlimited budget for glass, perhaps they may want to consider working with you on the rifle and stepping up to an AI rifle.
    (Or a Hoplite rifle if they want to have fun playing with the bigger stuff and loading hot).

Otherwise if you want to be on the cheaper side, like $1k range, it's hard to beat the Tikka T3X CTR for the money, it does very well and can be upgraded.

If they have an unlimited budget for glass, perhaps they may want to consider working with you on the rifle and stepping up to an AI rifle.
    (Or a Hoplite rifle if they want to have fun playing with the bigger stuff and loading hot).

Otherwise if you want to be on the cheaper side, like $1k range, it's hard to beat the Tikka T3X CTR for the money, it does very well and can be upgraded.

Thanks to all.

Thanks, I was thinking of a used Tikka. I don't know how difficult it will be to find any NEW rifles.
    You might want to check out that Savage, tons of features and they flat out shoot. Nothing you need to upgrade. Want a different caliber? Order a pre-fit and screw it on. I've shot some Tikkas, nice hunting rifles.

Tikka tac A1 or Ruger Precision would be a decent factory starter. 6.5 is a good starter round with lots of factory ammo and reloading supplies (when available) going for it.

Since he doesn’t necessarily need long range knock down power I think it be a decent, low recoil, long range, relatively inexpensive starter rifle

Reactions: BullGear
    Not sure about the availability of factory 260 target ammo but this might be what you are looking for.

after watching a 12 year old kid shooting at 22lr at 600 yards and hitting the target I had to wonder why I am using 6.5 at 5x's the cost per round than seeing video's of people in the forums using 22lrs to shoot 1k only make that feeling worse . I am sure what ever you get for him he will love it and be able to use it to shoot 600 yards or further if he gets the chance , heck bb guns now a days can shoot further than 1200 yards and they are still listed as toys not guns in many states .

I'm
    Trying to stay in the price range your saying. I would definitely got Tikka or bergara
    thinking maybe I need to bump the price range. I haven't bought a firearm (other than the Benelli M4) in over 2 years. Looking at Gunbroker, I had to do a double take.

However, there is a gun show on Saturday. I'll see what I can find there.

Thanks to all.

Reactions: RS14
    A used Tikka is pretty nice.

Have you looked at the APO Sniper's Hide rifle? It is really amazing for the price but it is on the high end of your budget. One my shooting buds has it. He will have it for some amount of time for certain.

Here is a link to APO

Stock Tikka $999 (in stock)
    Stock Bergara $999 (in stock)
    Howa barreled action + KRG Bravo. (its two screws to mount--stupid easy) ($900 last year from Brownells total and it has an adjustable trigger built in!) $531 (in stock--Howa)
    KRG $432 (In stock--pick your color)

Any one of those 3 is a NICE rifle to start with.

Might be able to swing a Bighorn Origin build as well for under 2K.

6.5 Creed is the shit despite all the hate. Easy to find, usually available. its 308 for the 21st century.

Last edited:
    Thanks but I'm looking for a better rifle than the Savage. Any other rock solid options?

Hallelujah!
    Praise the Lord! I thought I'd never hear those words.

90s or earlier model Remington 700.
    Other than that, I have no idea what these whipper snappers are buying these days.

I hear them Tikkler rifles is pretty good.

600yds? Thats pretty specific...

Almost any cartridge 224 caliber that'll hold 25gr of powder or more.
    6.5 caliber 30gr of powder or more.
    30 caliber that'll hold 40gr of powder.....or more.

I’m gunna ask because I’m the designated Troll.

how the eff you been hear this long and never shoot past 200 yards? I’m pretty sure this is a ban-able offense. Plus not knowing what all around caliber for long range work?

what exactly have you been doing here for 7000 posts?

are you a fed? Lol

I’m gunna ask because I’m the designated Troll.

how the eff you been hear this long and never shoot past 200 yards? I’m pretty sure this is a ban-able offense. Plus not knowing what all around caliber for long range work?

what exactly have you been doing here for 7000 posts?

are you a fed? Lol

Yep you busted me, I'm a Federal Agent, kind of. I worked for a quasi Federal agency for 34+ years. Most of my shooting was Service Matches and in Maryland it's difficult to find anything longer than 200 yards. They've shut down Ft Meade, so it's a moot point anyway. It would seem that I'm not a Sniper and at the age of 60 with multiple health issues, I'm lucky to hit paper at 100 yards. So I've gone over to the dark side and shoot mostly handguns at the dreaded indoor range. I still like to shoot trap with my trusty Remington 3200. Yea, I'm old.

BTW, the Federal agency was AMTRAK.

Reactions: Bender
    I love hand guns. A .22 pistol at 200 yds is a hoot! Revolvers is where I could spend tons of moolah! Colt revolvers, S&W pinned and recessed, Korth, Metba! I would love to get good with .44 mag at 300+ yards and open sights.

A used Tikka is pretty nice.

Have you looked at the APO Sniper's Hide rifle? It is really amazing for the price but it is on the high end of your budget. One my shooting buds has it. He will have it for some amount of time for certain.

Here is a link to APO
    Thats a pretty nice setup for the money, I will check it out since I am looking for a 308 bolt gun..

Reactions: Nik H
    He probably will start hunting, but I think dad will buy him something more geared toward hunting at a later date.

Here is an idea, among many others.

IF you were to go with a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 CM, the stock that it comes with works very well for hunting and light target shooting duties. The factory magazine system works well, is compact and reliable. It also has different grip swell options for if you want a swept grip or a more vertical grip.
    All this in a rifle that's going to be sub $1200 new.

Then you can swap the stock to a more target range orientated stock if they want for dedicated target shooting, but still keep the original stock so when they want to go hunting, just swap the stocks & it's a light hunting rifle again. The CTR has a threaded barrel, so for range shooting you could put a muzzle brake on it. Then remove the brake, put the thread protector back on and confirm zero before heading out to hunt.

Top it off with a nice March, ZCO, TT or S&B scope in the roughly 5x to 25x ish magnification range and you'd be all set.

Here is an idea, among many others.

IF you were to go with a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 CM, the stock that it comes with works very well for hunting and light target shooting duties. The factory magazine system works well, is compact and reliable. It also has different grip swell options for if you want a swept grip or a more vertical grip.
    All this in a rifle that's going to be sub $1200 new.

Then you can swap the stock to a more target range orientated stock if they want for dedicated target shooting, but still keep the original stock so when they want to go hunting, just swap the stocks & it's a light hunting rifle again. The CTR has a threaded barrel, so for range shooting you could put a muzzle brake on it. Then remove the brake, put the thread protector back on and confirm zero before heading out to hunt.

Top it off with a nice March, ZCO, TT or S&B scope in the roughly 5x to 25x ish magnification range and you'd be all set.

That deserves some more investigating. Thanks!

If he just got a 6 figure bonus I’d find a really nice custom rifle in the px. There’s a bad ass Sako TRG22 and some others. Now’s not the time to buy entry level IMO. He’ll put badass glass on it with that kind of money.

Reactions: thejeep
    If he just got a 6 figure bonus I’d find a really nice custom rifle in the px. There’s a bad ass Sako TRG22 and some others. Now’s not the time to buy entry level IMO. He’ll put badass glass on it with that kind of money.

But Dad didn't get a 6 figure bonus. It's just something I'm thinking about doing. Doesn't mean he won't say he's gonna find something on his own. He's spending money on firearms all on his own. He's finally seeing the evil that lives there. He seems to be very interested in 3 gun. Not sure of the handgun, but he's bought a Benelli M2 and waiting on a customization by his gunsmith. He's also bought an AR15 with that stupid looking handgrip. How can you grip an AR without being able to properly hold your hand around the grip? It sure makes that gun safer.... NOT.

My son is interested in 600 yard shooting. Since I've never shot anything over 200 yards, I'm coming to you for help in what rifle and caliber we should be looking to purchase. He's out in California and is 31 years old. I'm going to surprise him with the rifle.

Nothing too exotic. Probably in the $1000 to $2000 range. Of course, the cheaper the better, but not at the expense of quality. New or used is fine. Your opinion please.
    Probably the "best" bargain for a precision rifle setup is going to be a Howa, one of the various flavors of rifles in a chassis, such as the Howa Bravo (don't think they catalog it anymore) or the Howa Oryx.
    6.5 creedmoor is the way to go, there are other options, but it gives you longer barrel life than the 6mm CM or .243 and, as said lots of good, factory options for ammo, when available.
    Savages aren't terrible, but the Howa is available for the same price, or less and is a far superior action.
    They come in less that the excellent Tikka tactical models.