• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle or mid length gas system on 18" SPR barrel?

AberdeenReb

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
MS
What are you guys running with your 18" SPR barrels? Advantages or disadvantages with either? Thanks!

Rifle length gas will have softer recoil and the gas system (block to rings) will take less abuse as compared the mid. If you want to run cheap steel cased ammo, the mid might function more reliably.

I personally run mid-length on all of mine. Indeed, the rifle length is softer but i like keeping my gas block under the tube. Just me
Still shoots great either way

I'm also inclined to the rifle length system. Most suggest this just works better because that was the original design. Run a 15" Samson, Midwest, etc., over the block and you protect everything fine.

I've used RLGS on all but one of my 18" SPR-type builds.

The MLGS 18" upper is meant for extreme cold weather use, but I see a lot of 18" RLGS SPR's run fine in those conditions as well.

Rifle Length with a Larue Tactical 13.2 Handguard. The Gas Block fits perfectly flush under the handguard. Looks great too.

Rifle length is great also if you put an adjustable gas block on it you can fine tune it to run any kind of ammo.