• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Rifle scope as spotter ?

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Anyone used a rifle scope on a tripod as a spotter. Sounds dumb but think would work well mounted next to binos and I have 5-27s I can pull off other rifles that have much much better glass than my minox spotter. Mainly for PRS matches. I like to pre run a stage and a reticle helps for that.

Reactions: 338dude
    I've done it before, is a bit annoying though because of the eye relief. One of those rubber "eyeball plunger" type sun shades that can be cut to length makes it easier.

^^^this^^^

without a cheek weld it is damn near impossible to maintain a constant sight picture

I spot after I shoot with my rifle scope on my gun if that's sort of the same thing except it's not off the gun it's on it .

I spot after I shoot with my rifle scope on my gun if that's sort of the same thing except it's not off the gun it's on it .
    Have you been to a PRS match ? You should at least try one. One of the top 3 things I like to do now. Even though I’m terrible and have close to zero time to practice

Reactions: camocorvette
    Bushnell makes a cheap one with a Reticle that would work. The LMSS with reticle is about 1500 too.

Bushnell makes a cheap one with a Reticle that would work. The LMSS with reticle is about 1500 too.

have 5-27s I can pull off other rifles that have much much better glass than my minox spotter.

4CD21520-6DA1-4FCB-909F-379EF9226B05.png

Agree with the above. Good optics for shooting are good enough for much target finding, shot fall spotting, but not the eyebox. Mounting other than on a rifle is a PITA.

One of my favorite things is to shoot with a friend, and we're both behind the rifle. Started at a class, so we got more shooting time in, but ended up being a pretty good way to spot in some cases, and for tricky stuff the spotter can load, and there's an immediate followup available also, but usually it's one at a time shooting, the spotter is empty.

Also can be easier to spot trace since you are right next to the shooter, esp places where getting a spotter behind/above the shooter is hard (or dangerous).

I upgraded my spotter to an LMSS2, and it's made me very happy, plus plenty popular so accessories are available to make them better, even, such as derek1ee.

I have the Bushnell Legend and it does ok. There are much better spotters out there, but I don't think there are many that are better at its price point.

Def a dedicated mil spotter. Razor or leupy.

I thought the cool kids in prs only used binos these days

Reactions: deersniper
    I was gonna suggest the LMSS2, too. Seems like a scope with short eye relief. Its a little guy....