• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Rifle scope for New Hunting Rig?!

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
I am about to get my build sent out to Mark at SAC just gathering up of the last things I need. I haven't decided on a scope yet I was hoping you guys could help me out a little bit. The caliber will be .308, and will be used mainly for hunting but will be shooting occasional paper with it. Max distance would be around 500. Would like to keep it under 1k price wise. Thanks fellas!!

Honestly just $200 to $400 more will get you a used NF. Other than that a VX6 would be nice. With a mag factor of 6 you can do anything from thicket to prairie. (2-12, 3-18)

Something different you might want to try. The Redfield Battle Ground. A 3X9 scope that comes with two turrents, one for a 223 55 gr bullet @ 3100 fps, the other is a 308 turrent for the 308, 165 gn bullet at 2650. Sight it in at 100, its marked out to 600 yards. It has crosshairs 2 moa hash marks.

Good clear scope, cost about $200 bucks at Midway, life time guarantee.

I think it would be an outstanding moderate priced hunting scope. It would cover your shooting (500 yards) and then some.

I got one but haven't tried it on a 308. I did on an '06 using 190 Berger's. Pretty close to the 308 round it calls for, (half min off at 600). I'm going to put it in my M1904a4 for elk hunting this year. (My Vintage Weaver K 2.5 will probably fog so I don't think it would work in the mountains with snow and rain.)

On one of my .308's I run a Nikon Monarch 5-20x44. The scope has held up well and it took a pounding on a 300 RUM for years with no issues.

I have hunting rigs, shooting rigs and fun rigs and they are all different. My opinion and experience says, its hard to beat a 2-7 or 2.5-8 class scope from Leupold for hunting but I could see a 3-10 40mm scope as a do it all sight. To me the thought process would be, do you want adj turrets and ranging reticle. In my book, not a real show stopper on a hunting rig but killing paper and fun time, good features to have.

I have thought of sending VX3 2.5-8 to Leupold for new ret and turrets but it cost more than I willing to spend.

I've got a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 CDS on a hunting rifle in 30.06 and really like it. It is well suited for a normal distance hunting rifle and I've shot out to 400 yards at steel with it.

I'm considering a lightweight 308 hunting build and looking at the VX3 2.5-8 or the VXR 2-7.