• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rifle stock debate

seabass1858

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
I am debating on which rifle stock to get for my new savage 110 30-06, I am thinking ether a thumb hole wood laminate from boyds with glass bedding and dbm inlet or a hogue overmold with aluminum bedding and dbm inlet. please help i plan to hunt big game and target shoot because i have a 26in varment contour barrel on it and a nikon 4-16x42mm mildot. I do also plan to get a 375 ruger barrel in case i ever go on an african safari.

Re: rifle stock debate

If you're simply hunting with it you can't go wrong with either, I personally would go with the wood stock from Boyd's simply because I like laminate stocks as well as thumbhole stocks, but that's just me. Also the Boyd's stock does not come with aluminum pillars, so you will need to purchase/make some.

I will be doing both shooting within 1k yards and hunting in alaska for bear with the right handloaded ammo. i have a 260 rem for 1k plus and it works well for varmints too. and what do you think of the 375 ruger idea aswell?

375 Ruger seems like a bit too much for varmint hunting, it would be great for the African safari that you would be going to and taking on big game, but there would be much better cartridges for 1k shooting and varmint hunting, I'd personally go with the .308 for varmint hunting and 1k shooting, .338 for going past 1k as well as big game hunting.

I would still go with the laminate, but if you're looking for better accuracy at long distances I'd look at a more expensive stock.

i think i will go with a nice laminate stock for the 30-06. i got a 260 rem 8 twist that i take 1500 yard shots with. its a savage target action with a heavy contour .940 hart barrel on a choate ultimate varmint stock, cdi detach mag and a millet lrs scope and harris bipod. it weighs 17lbs dressed.