• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle suggestions

6.5CM - No question.

6.5PRC is expensive, has more recoil, and components to reload are much harder to get right now.

If you can, I would skip the entire production rifle thing. If you get into this, you will quickly want to upgrade. You'll save money in the long haul just getting what you want upfront.

Bighorn Origin ($875) + Proof Steel Prefit ($479) + Trigger Tech Special ($190) + KRG Bravo ($349) = $1890.

That's just a few hundred more, and you'll have a cut-rifled barrel, a great action that can easily be changed to different calibers, and a solid entry stock. Later you can upgrade the stock pretty easily if you want.

Those are prices straight off Altus and other sites.. I'm sure you could probably do a bit better if you shopped around or bought off the hide used, etc.

Would a Howa barreled action 1500 and MDT chassis be a good choice? Is there a better option at the same price range as the Howa?

Reactions: Roperboy87
Skwerls don't take kindly to stolen valor...

View attachment 7652380

Hey now! Plausible deniability man.

Don't take me fishing!
1624380731610.png

"I was passed over!"

If there is a Squirrel Mafia, don't anger the Squirrel Mafia.
Which there isn't.
And I am not part of the Squirrel Mafia.
If it exists
Which it doesn't
Please make sure my wife and kids are taken care of

OP:Tikka, Bergara, Howa/Bravo, RPR -- Its all personal preference which of the 4 is "best" but they are great cost-effective rifles.
6.5 Creed (6.5 Manbun) or 6 creed (both are "popular"). 308 if you want to be called a boomer.

Hey now! Plausible deniability man.

Don't take me fishing!
View attachment 7652588
"I was passed over!"

If there is a Squirrel Mafia, don't anger the Squirrel Mafia.
Which there isn't.
And I am not part of the Squirrel Mafia.
If it exists
Which it doesn't
Please make sure my wife and kids are taken care of

OP:Tikka, Bergara, Howa/Bravo, RPR -- Its all personal preference which of the 4 is "best" but they are great cost-effective rifles.
6.5 Creed (6.5 Manbun) or 6 creed (both are "popular"). 308 if you want to be called a boomer.
You seem to know a lot about something you know nothing about

There are two brackets that I have when I think I need a new rifle.

1. Tikka or CZ (often enough with a plan ready to rebarrel with a Bartlein, Proof, etc. if I don't love the factory tube)

2. Full custom build

This year everything went tits up.

The reason for a "standard" caliber is because when everyone isn't hoarding toilet paper and a bazillion rounds to sell on gunbroker is if you need to travel or you run out, you can walk into any store and pick up 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed, or 308. Yes there are other common calibers but they are not commonly used in the precision world. And while things like 6 Dasher, 6 BRA, etc are dominating Precision competition--unlikely to find them in a gun store. As you start out its just easier. Once you've sold your firstborn and join all the secret societies, you can then choose your caliber in the caliber wars.

I am new to long range and would like to know what the community recommends for a rifle for someone that is getting into it. I am currently looking at Bergera HMR 6.5 PRC, would that be a good platform to start on? Is factory the way to go to keep it under 1500 for just a rifle and still have something reliable? I would love your feedback. I am a quick learner and really want to get in the precision rifle community. Thanks
Does this include the optic, rings and mount? How about magazines?

Would a Howa barreled action 1500 and MDT chassis be a good choice? Is there a better option at the same price range as the Howa?
It would not be a bad start, but if you have more in your budget, I would look at Tikka CTR in 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor. I would look on line and buy the cheapest one you can find and have it shipped to a FFL in your area. I did this for a few rifles I have now and it help with the build cost.

One you get the rifle, you can start to build it slowly over time. Phillip Velayo did a series on a CTR build that is one of the better ones on how to get started in precision shooting on a budget.

Definitely leaning towards 6.5 CM. I could see myself wanting to reload, and it seems to be a good all around cartridge. Really liking the looks of the mdt LSS XL2 for a chassis.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
.I am new to long range and would like to know what the community recommends for a rifle for someone that is getting into it. I am currently looking at Bergera HMR 6.5 PRC, would that be a good platform to start on? Is factory the way to go to keep it under 1500 for just a rifle and still have something reliable? I would love your feedback. I am a quick learner and really want to get in the precision rifle community. Thanks
My prc weighs 15 pound so recoil is nothing much . But I don't shoot completion. But love my prc.

Reactions: Combat photog
Does this include the optic, rings and mount? How about magazines?

It would not be a bad start, but if you have more in your budget, I would look at Tikka CTR in 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor. I would look on line and buy the cheapest one you can find and have it shipped to a FFL in your area. I did this for a few rifles I have now and it help with the build cost.

One you get the rifle, you can start to build it slowly over time. Phillip Velayo did a series on a CTR build that is one of the better ones on how to get started in precision shooting on a budget.
+1 on Phillip Velayo series. I have a RPR 6.5prc I like a lot, but ammo is difficult to find unless you reload your own. RPR 6.5prc recoil is very manageable, but 6.5cm ammo is much easier to find.

I am new to long range and would like to know what the community recommends for a rifle for someone that is getting into it. I am currently looking at Bergera HMR 6.5 PRC, would that be a good platform to start on? Is factory the way to go to keep it under 1500 for just a rifle and still have something reliable? I would love your feedback. I am a quick learner and really want to get in the precision rifle community. Thanks

The PRC is basically a 7 Mag with a 6.5 bullet so it generates a lot of recoil. You can take the punishment but recoil generally affects accuracy. You can weight it down but then its to heavy for anything other than targets. Unless your going for 1K yd or more, I would stay with a 260, 6.5C or 6mm variant. I have a Seekins Havak Bravo in 6.5PRC and prefer my 6mm Norma BR for less than 1K... Less than $2K will get you a very good sub moa rifle. Optics and ammo costs are a huge part of LD shooting so kiss away another $2K plus.... Happy Shooting

Reactions: XP1K and Focal
Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor for Long Range targeting. Use a Hornady ELDX Match 140 gr for great ballistic coefficient.

Reactions: Combat photog
I have that Rifle in 6.5 PRC. It shot sub moa at a 100 with Hornady 147 grain ELD Match ammunition . I love my Bergara HMR. The recoil was not bad at all with the factory brake it came with but you can put an Area 419 brake on it and really reduce the recoil. The ammunition is expensive and hard to find but if you reload it’s reasonable providing you can finde couple of boxes of ammo to reload. Bergera HMR rifles are available if you look around. Anyway good luck and I hope this was helpful.

For a new person there are a lot of choices.

Caliber will almost universally be 6.5 Creed.

The Squirrel Mafia prefers a Tikka Rifle Platform. (I can neither confirm nor deny being a Squirrel Mafia member)
The True believers prefer the Bergara Rifle Platform. (I am a True Believer)
The Thrifty prefer a Howa barreled Action and a KRG Bravo Stock. (I am also Thrifty)
The Contrarians Prefer the Ruger Precision Rifle Platform. (sorry I don't personally have one, but look through the 90+ page sticky on them here--they seem to get some play)
You can also get a custom barreled action (Big Horn Origin) and throw it in a KRG Bravo and I think be ok on your $1500 budget (attaching the stock is an allen wrench and 2 screws).

Ruger might run you over 1k (Custom Barreled action might be a long wait these days and run close to 1300-1500 with stock), others should be between 800 and 1k, Spend your spare money on a good scope.

One of those in 6.5 Creedmoor will take you a LONG way on your journey.

Things to avoid:
Savage (not bad, but better bang for your buck)
Remington (they bankrupt yo)
Weird ass calibers: Gay Tigers are fabulous but REALLY hard to find during component shortages. 6.5 Creed is the new 308 which was the new 30-06.
Magnums (You'll develop a flinch)

STFU with your inside jokes version: Get a 6.5 Creedmoor from Tikka or Bergara, slap a great scope on it and go practice.
Savage is the best bang for the buck, hands down. Spend your saved money on a scope. I've got two high dollar custom made rifles and neither of them are as accurate as the Savage. A really great reloading press and serious instruction from an experienced reloading person can make an undisputed difference. Matching your perjectil, powder, primer and brass can make so much difference,,,,,I can't make the point Clear Enough!!!. Okay,,I'm done. No exaggeration or lies told here.

Reactions: Hardshot and Focal
I have a buddy who built that very package he shoots it out to a mile easily. I wouldn’t be scared of that package.

OP, this may be exactly what you're looking for:

FYI my 308 running 208's seated long has higher perceived recoil than my 6.5 Sherman Max with 153's. I think it's due to the impulse velocity, because the Max is putting out more energy.

I'd vote for something in 30 cal, probably a wsm in a medium or long action for a do it all rifle - but definitely browse the PX - I also wouldn't be shy about wildcats if there was a deal to be had. It's only a set of dies to sell if you aren't sticking with it when you burn out your barrel.

I like 6.5 PRC for Long Range Shooting.
I was shooting a 308 Win....then went to a 6.5 Creedmoor .I still shoot it some but now shoot the 6.5 PRC.
The Bergara Is a good choice.I chose the Bergara Premier Pro because it has a longer barrel,better trigger that's Adjustable without removal from stock and its made in America instead of Spain.
I think its the best choice without building a Custom Rifle.
However for a new shooter I agree with the other guy the 6.5 Creedmoor might be your better choice to start.I have a custom rifle Borden Action and Brux Barrel also but can shoot equal l y as well with my Bergara.
Good Luck on your choice a n d just start shooting and learn to read the Wind.You will be fine

Reactions: Focal
Being thrifty (or a poor on this forum) go for a howa 1500 and look into the MDT XRS chassis (krg bravo is an option but more finicky). And of course cartridge choice is up to you. 6.5 manbun is getting a lot of votes but don’t pass up on 308 or 260 if you find them at a decent price.

Why not throw in another view point - here's my take on some of the options thrown out so far:

- I've owned a Bergara Pro, and shot a standard Bergara. The standard is a decent rifle with a decent trigger. The Pro is better rifle overall with a smoother action, much better trigger. If you go Bergara, go Pro.

- I own a Savage that is my "frakengun." I use it for playing with new calibers, etc. I used it for a while when the 300 PRC came out and I rebarreled it to such. I had to upgrade the stock and change out the trigger, but after doing so, it was a good shooting rifle. It just didn't feel all that good. It gets the job done, but that's about it. Resale is not great.

- Barreled action: This would be my choice. You can get one of the lower cost "custom" actions like a Bigorn that's already got a barrel fitted. Get a good quality trigger and one of the lower cost starter stocks, and you will have something that is ultimately expandable. Putting it together is easy - you can find a myriad of videos showing how to install the trigger, and dropping the whole thing into a chassis is exceedingly straight forward. Why I like this route, is that you will learn a tremendous amount, you have more upgrade options over something like a Tikka or Savage, and resale is there.

Caliber:

- Things against the 6.5 have been mentioned above. One other is that it has a magnum bolt face. So, if you ever wanted to go down to something like a 6.5 CM, 260 - or drop down to any of a myriad of 6's, you can't unless you change out the bolt/face.

- Everyone seems to have a 6.5 CM. Frankly, there are better calibers in that class of round, but because of its popularity, getting factory ammo and brass is easier. If you were going to reload and already had some components, I'd point you to a 260 or even 260 AI, but since you're not, the 6.5 will get the job done.

- 6CM has overall better trajectory and is a superior target round, but barrel life is decently shorter, and it starts to lose out at longer range.

Reactions: aard3
Yep, need to know optic budget. Spend on a good optic, put a decent trigger on a Tikka or Howa rifle (243, 6.5 Creed, 308) buy lots of ammo, buy a good bipod, ear pro, and shoot alot. Wish I could recommend Remington, so your parts can fit on a custom action if or when you get there. Anyways, upgrade that rifle over time. New stock and bedding, new barrel, better trigger etc.

If you learn your rifle scope properly and early, you will shoot the better rifle you eventually build/buy better. Skimp on a scope on a 10k rifle and dont know how to use the optic, you may as well buy a $300 Savage Axis.

You got a good optic budget. If I were in your shoes I’d search the PX for a used Rem 700 barreled action that a good smith got their hands on (LRI, etc). You might luck out and score a Surgeon with some life left on the barrel. If you get a good enough deal on the barreled action you should have enough of your budget left to get a used KRG or Oryx plus a Harris bipod.

It was said before but bypass the Savage if at all possible. I played the “hotrod a Savage” game in the past, only to loose out when it came time to upgrade (and believe me you’ll want to upgrade quick if you get bit by the LRS bug).

Reactions: Focal
I have 6.5cm, 308win, 6.5 prc and 300 prc. It’s 100f where I shoot. Both prc cartridges heat the barrel (varmint contour) up really fast. Shoot 10 rounds and wait 15 minutes for the barrel to cool down. The prc’s do shoot far and flat. The 6.5cm I think is the best all around cartridge. It shoots out to a reasonable distance accurately and ammo won’t break the bank.

Save your money. You will need it when the addiction kicks in. 😁 Get a Tikka CTR in 6.5 creed, 260 or 308 (used if you can find it) put something like an Athlon Midas Tac or Ares scope on it with a mil reticle in MTD rings with a Harris bipod and go have fun learning. Once you learn the game you can start worrying about custom builds, special equipment and high end scopes, plus you will know what you want and gain the skills needed to use it. Just Have fun!

I appreciate all the suggestions and information you have provided. I have made a decision and purchased a Howa 1500 SA barreled action 24” heavy in 6.5 CM. I decided to go with a MDT XRS chassis with enclosed fore end with arca rail. Looking at getting a Leupold mark 5hd 5-25x56 PR2-mil reticle scope and ckye pod gen 2 bipod. I feel this will be a good platform to learn on and to give me time on a rifle so that I will know what I really want to invest in a action, barrel and what chassis I would prefer. The scope and bipod should be at home on any rifle I decide to get in the future. Thanks again for your information, it helped put the subject in perspective.