• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rifle vise

MR308W

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking for a good rifle vise/bench to clean my guns, install scopes, lapping scope mounts etc...

I came across the Tipton best gun vise, is it any good or do you got suggest better options around that pricepoint?

Thanks in advance.

Grizzly and stewmac make them. Called a pattern makers vise or guitar makers vise.

I've got the Tipton, it works fine for cleaning but isn't stable enough to lap rings or anything like that. I just put the grizzly pattern makers vise on my bench but haven't got a chance to use it yet.

I use a Tiptons Best Gun vice for most of my work/general cleaning.

I got one of these for the heavier work I want to do...

It gets crushed in reviews but mine has served me well.

I mounted it to an aluminum plate and will secure it to t-track on my workbench when needed.

Brownells carries a nice assortment of jaw accessories to suit whatever amount of protection your work requires.

OK, at the moment i don't have a working bench that is why i opt for something i can easily put down like the Tipton best gun vise. Maybe I start with something like that or simular for my gun cleaning and the moment i got myself a working bench and add a pattern makers vise than.

The berry's versa cradle looks good but is 3 times the price of the Tipton over here ?

The tipton cradle works. You’ll need a level surface, and will be wedging rags and other shit in to get the weapon level. Like the tripod, it’s nice that it may allow you to point the rifle at a plum level or edge of building to set scope level when your vice may not allow it.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *

Put in a normal vise and voila. I even change my barrels out using it... 100 lb-ft torque on and quite a bit more to come off. It holds my rifles to clean, build, mount scopes, etc.

I know this thread is a bit old but I stumbled on a pretty good solution. After fighting skidding, tipping gun vises I bought a Shop Fox Parrot vise for about $50 and bolted it to a square piece of plywood that I just camp to the edge of my work bench. The vise flips so the jaws can orient both vertical and horizontal and it pivots freely until you tighten it down. That makes it really easy to work at a virility of angles. I stick adhesive-backed cork board to the jaws to keep from marring stock or receiver finish. I think it is a good compromise between the stability of a fixed vise and the mobility of one of the gun vises.

1D7B74B1-C9CB-436C-8DE9-4C61523D8618.jpeg

Reactions: Sgt47
Brownells sells the jaw pads

These leather pads are handy too....

I have that same green multi-vice, too. I made similar jaws from wood and cork as well as padded. It works great.

Reactions: Flatwater77
I have an original Versa Vice in my cabinet shop; I never thought about using it for gunsmithing. I'll be making or ordering some non-marring jaws for it now. Thanks guys!

Does Parker Hale still build a Bisley gun vise up in Birmingham? It’s not near as heavy as the one above. I’ve played with one in a Purdey repair shop and it was a neat vise. Still, the real work was done in a 4” vise mounted on the bench properly.