• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifleman Knowledge Test

C45P312

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Chesapeake, VA
www.teamultraspeed.com
Took this from another forum. Thought it was great test of knowledge
The below questions is a basic foundation for a Rifleman knowledge test. Each of these questions are covered and performed during the Trace Rifleman Program.
Give this shot, lets see how we all stack out on the answers and lets learn something today!

Please post below your answer sheet. I will give this till Nov the 8th and I will post the correct answers then in order.

John

25RMP_zpsab1b2191.png

1. With a 1/4 MOA adjusted optic, moving the bullet print 6.25 inches at 200yds will take this many clicks:
A) 3
B) 4
C) 6
D) NONE of the above

2. Basic .30cal windage formula is:
A) distance x wind velocity / 10 = MOA CLICKS
B) MOA / wind velocity / distance = MOA CLICKS
C) Wind velocity / 4 + distance = MOA CLICKS
D) NONE of the above

3. A MilRad is a unit of measure that is a value of 1/100
A) True
B) False

4. The target is 19inches wide, in the MilRad reticle the reading is 4.1 mil. How far way is the target:
A) 215yds
B) 128yds
C) 432yds
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

5. The two types of marksmanship use of slings are:
A) Hasty and Support
B) 1 point and 2 point
C) Hasty and loop
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

6. How many minutes of angle in a degree?
A) 60 MOA
B) 30 MOA
C) 120MOA
D) None of the above

7. How many MilRad to a degree?
A) 28.115
B) 3.60
C) 27.778
D) None of the Above

8. Cone of fire: The combined effects of the weapon and ammunition's ability to cluster shots at distance. Measured in IPHY, MOA, MIL, inches or Metric. (Precision of the total system)
A) TRUE
B) False

9. IPHY and MOA are the same unit of measure:
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

10. Are the following steps below correct for figuring out the bullet placement with cant in the rifle?
  • Determine the elevation required to engage the target at a given range in MOA or MIL
  • Add 3 MOA or 1 MIL to the elevation correction you would use to engage the target
  • Multiply the sum by the sin of the cant angle. The result is the horizontal displacement of the shot
  • Multiply the sum by the cosine of the cant angle to approximate your effective elevation
A) YES
B) NO

11. The basic rule of angled fire is too:
A) Hold magazine high side
B) Hold center mass past 100yds
C) Hold high edge of the target and centermass
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

12. Gravity is a constant force on the bullets trajectory?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

13. MOA to MilRad conversion is:
A) MOA x 3.438 = MIL
B) MIL x 3.438 = MOA
C) MOA / 3.438 = MIL
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

14. When shooting a centerfire cartridge 100yd ZERO is aligning the line of sight to the summit of the trajectory?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

15. A bullets ballistic coefficient is a constant value over the flight time to the target?
A) TRUE
B) FALSE

16. The three types of ballistics are:
A) Terminal, external, internal
B) External, terminal, introverted
C) Windage, bullet drop, grouping
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

17. The hollow point in a boattail bullet (I.E. SMK) is part of the designed because:
A) It helps with the terminal performance on a live target
B) It helps the bullet’s trajectory
C) It’s a result of the manufacturing process
D) None of the above

18. What clock value has the most effect on the bullets flight path?
A) 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock
B) 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock
C) 10 o’clock and 5 o’clock
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

19. The size of 3 MOA at 1000yds is:
A) 30.25 inches
B) 32.74 inches
C) 31.41 inches
D) None of the above

20. The size of 5 MilRad at 200yds is:
A) 18”
B) 36”
C) 9.456”
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

21. With a .1Mil adjusted optic , moving the bullet print 9 inches at 500yds will take this many clicks:
A) .9
B) .2
C) .5
D) NONE OF THE ABOVE

This type of infomation skillset is what sets Trace Armory Group apart from the rest!

Thanks C45P312 for posting this on the hide.

I was going to but never got around to doing it. Lets see how everyone responds.

John

1: between 12 and 13 clicks, 12.5------ D
2: (wind in mph x distance in hundreds of yards)/ 15 is the only remotely close one Im familiar with------- D
3: milrad is milli-radian= 1/1000------- B
4: 19" x 27.778= 527.782/4.1= 128.72 (calculator)------ B
5: C i think
6: A
7: 60 MOA/ 3.438 moa per mil = 17.45------ D
8: A? Idfk
9: B
10: A? Idfk
11: B if meaning umbilicus
12: A
13: B and C, C being more relevant to the question
14: B depending in cartridge
15: B
16: A
17: C
18: I shoot at all times of day. Assuming this means wind direction ------ A
19: 3 x 10 x 1.047= 31.41-------C
20: 5 x 7.2= 36------- B
21: 9/5=1.8/3.6= 0.5 mil / 0.1 mil per click =5 clicks...technically----- D

Pretty fun John, thank you sir. I'm eager to see how dumb I am.

The first question ruined it. Anyone who thinks in clicks and inches needs to do more homework.

1. 1 MOA = 1.047" @ 100 yards, 2.094" @ 200 yards /4= One 1/4 MOA click = .5235" 6.25" / .5235 = 11.94 clicks = D

2. If answer "A" read "distance in hundreds" that formula would work, but it doesn't so D.

3. B
4. B
5. C
6. A
7. 6,283.2 Mils in a circle/360 = 17.45 Mil in a Degree. D.
8. A
9. B
10. A
11. If you mean angled up or down, as in uphill and downhill, then the answer is D. If you mean angling or canting the gun to its side, which causes on e to shoot low (since no elevation adjustment) and toward the sights (because there is elevation adjustment) then holding high to the magazine side would compensate for this and A could be the answer.

12. A
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. C
18. A
19. C 1.047 x 10 x 3 = 31.41
20. B 3.6 x 2 x 5 = 36
21. .1 Mil = 1.8" @ 500; 9/1.8 = 5 clicks

Shoot Happy!

Last edited:
OP,

This sort of test is associated with training offers. It is designed to help shooters, who think they have no need for training, see that they actually do not know much about what is important to good shooting and therefore might benefit from some training. I like J Boys test. Interestingly, some folks don't see the application or relevance of the knowledge base promised to be revealed in the training offering and thus this sort of test may fail to persuade. I suggest questions which address the origins of common shooter/target errors as these not only expose the shooter to his ignorance but help him to understand why training may be helpful to be able hit the target. An example: Using the wind constant of 10, how much sight hold off in inches or sight adjustment in MOA would be required for a good hit on a target at 600 yards with a full value 10 mph wind?