• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Rifles Only Assassin's Way
    This is a new match format that is intended to test the competitor’s ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment and employ skill sets in different parts of the country.​
    Skills tested will be:
    1. Safety
    2. Marksmanship
    • Alternate positions
    • Moving targets
    • Support side shooting
    • Multiple targets at multiple ranges
    1. KIMs games
    2. Range estimation
    3. Land navigation
    4. Target detection
    This competition will last 23 days and be conducted over a broad section of the United States.
    This competition will start at Rifles Only in Texas on September 1st, 2021. Once the tasks are completed at this location, the next location will be given to the competitor in written form. This format will continue until the entire competition is completed.
    The competitor will be responsible for all costs associated with travel, meals and any other associated costs.

At this time, there are 7 locations in the Western U.S. that will be utilized. You will see New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho, and Oklahoma.
    Once deposits are received, you will be given addresses to pre-position ammunition and other associated gear. 3 months prior to competition start date you’ll receive an email with further instruction on dates and locations to make your travel arrangements.

There will be competitions inside this competition. You will be responsible for those entry fees.
    The entry fee for this competition will be $25,000. Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. A cash payback will award the winner $500,000. This is a winner take all event. Only 45 people will participate. The half million-dollar award certainly makes this worth it.
    -Online booking allows for full or partial payment. Further payment options are available:
    • $5,000
    • $10,000
    • $15,000
    • $20,000
    deposits/increments until paid in full. To book with an option other than half/full payment via website booking please email or call us: [email protected] or 361-595-5472

Competitors must be physically fit and have a working understanding of the skill sets required to compete.
    A list of competition rules will be available, as well as the number of miles that will be travelled.

Throughout 2020 and the first half of 2021, clinics on the subject matters to be tested will be available in different parts of the United States. I would encourage potential participants to take advantage of these clinics as they will be an invaluable resource to gain the required knowledge to complete the assigned tasks.
    Modern Day Sniper Podcast with Assassin's Way Discussion

Last edited:
    Just listened to the episode this morning and it sounds amazing! I’m a LOOOONG ways from having the skills or funds to do something like this, but I’ll definitely watch with interest. This could be epic! You gonna give it a go, @lowlight ?

Bummer, but I hear you. Still, should be fun having a hand with the clinics! Will there be a subforum dedicated to the match and the prep leading up to it?

6 states, 7 stops, 23days (not including travel to stop 1 and travel home)... You're going to need help driving and a way to catch some sleep between stops. A Dodge Sprinter conversion might be suitable for this task or maybe a few dudes in an RV/Coach would work. Flying commercially would likely be out of the question. This challenge has a hint of Smokey and the Bandit. Curious to see who will step up for the challenge.

RO will take in over 1 mil in entry fees if the slots fill. Payout is 500k. That is some serious $$$$$$$.$$ Gotta give them credit for thinking this up, putting all the pieces together, and getting it off the ground.
    looking forward to following this

Basically, I’d expect to need around $50k to take on this event.

Travel/food

It also says there will be other competitions during the 23 days that you will have to pay for.

Limited to 40 and I believe 14-20 or so already committed.

With more than a year to prepare, I’d expect it to fill up or be damn close.

Reactions: RS14 and Basher
    Podcast discussion

Going to be awesome to watch! Real skills are going to be tested.
    Jacob nailed it, “the average shooter has no idea” Hell I’m missing a ton also!

Last edited:
    Here’s my thoughts, ideas!
    For me this is an unprecedented shooting event that will be the pinnacle of the precision, marksman world. I feel there is a lot of advertising and money to be made in a reality show type setting.
    It would be awesome to see, even leading up to the event, the amount of work that someone is willing to put into an event like this with the training, sacrifices and all the other aspects that it takes to win at this level with $500k on the line.

I’m sure there will be enough self funded shooters, but if not I would be down for a group fund for a shooter with a percentage of the payout, shooter gets 65% and the crowd funders get 35%. So your $1k could be $3.5k if you’re shooter wins.

Here’s my thoughts, ideas!
    For me this is an unprecedented shooting event that will be the pinnacle of the precision, marksman world. I feel there is a lot of advertising and money to be made in a reality show type setting.
    It would be awesome to see, even leading up to the event, the amount of work that someone is willing to put into an event like this with the training, sacrifices and all the other aspects that it takes to win at this level with $500k on the line.

I’m sure there will be enough self funded shooters, but if not I would be down for a group fund for a shooter with a percentage of the payout, shooter gets 65% and the crowd funders get 35%. So your $1k could be $3.5k if you’re shooter wins.

Just an example from other things like pool and poker where I have been both a stakes player and staked other players, here is a typical breakdown of how a player who is getting a 100% stake goes.

All expenses compiled. Let’s say it’s $50k for this match. Entry fees, travel, lodging, etc.

Staked shooter wins.
    All expenses refunded to backers

Leaves $450k

Shooter gets half at the very, very most. He may have won it, but he took zero financial risk. Even as low as 30% is plenty fair die zero risk.

After shooter is paid his share, the rest is split based on percentages donated.

If taxes are paid up front, that will be taken off the top first, then expense reimbursements, then pay breakdown.

Dam to be young again! Can’t participate, but going to follow closely. If I could I would be there in a heart beat just to say I was there and did that!!

Reactions: Boatninja and TACC
    This sounds epic, ...and I’d love to do this even if it’s just for the experience. But 25k entry on top of probably a month straight away from work and family obligations. It’s tough enough as it is to get a week or 2 available for hunting season, and a few weekends here and there for shooting matches. Not to mention the time and funds needed to attend the training on some of the skill sets where I’m lacking. I’d love to make this a reality, but I’d like to know more details before committing. I’d have no problem committing to the Physicality, $$$, and some training on land nav & KIMs games...but there is just no way I can take that much time away from work and family all at once. Maybe if it was broken up into a week here and a week there.
    Seems like this would be perfect for somebody that is retired, single, ex-spec ops and just getting out of the service and not yet committed to new employment, no kids, etc. I do hope it takes off though...definitely sounds cool. Great idea.

I listened to the podcast and was really intrigued by the concept. It is well beyond my current ability and time commitments but sounds like the ultimate “put up or shut up” event for the elite shooters in this segment. I commend the organizers for making a statement and redirecting the industry towards practical skills rather than circus tricks and gimmicky shit

@lowlight - My first thought when listening was “this has to be televised!” Has anyone explored that aspect? This should surpass Top Shot by a mile in terms of authenticity. Might help with sponsorship and definitely with exposure for the community. I imagine that some production headaches might take away from the purity of the event but even a well publicized web series would be a great step forward.

I listened to the podcast and was really intrigued by the concept. It is well beyond my current ability and time commitments but sounds like the ultimate “put up or shut up” event for the elite shooters in this segment. I commend the organizers for making a statement and redirecting the industry towards practical skills rather than circus tricks and gimmicky shit

@lowlight - My first thought when listening was “this has to be televised!” Has anyone explored that aspect? This should surpass Top Shot by a mile in terms of authenticity. Might help with sponsorship and definitely with exposure for the community. I imagine that some production headaches might take away from the purity of the event but even a well publicized web series would be a great step forward.

The shooting part has time and time again shown it’s not spectator worthy.

The only part that could prove intriguing is the field skills. But that’s a massive production undertaking to follow guys around.

Reactions: RS14
    The shooting part has time and time again shown it’s not spectator worthy.

The only part that could prove intriguing is the field skills. But that’s a massive production undertaking to follow guys around.
    I get that, it‘s damn near impossible to convey the difficulty of accurately hitting a long range target, and it’s slow. Most audiences are conditioned to think rifles are lasers and hits are automatic. On second thought, this may be too slow and too real for mainstream consumption. There may be an audience that is looking for authenticity after being fed contrived bullshit for so long now, which I feel reflects on the same trend that led to the creation of the event

This would have been doable right after active duty haha. NOW I'd need an Eberle that also carried a Kid..
    Seriously this needs to be filmed.

Don't know much about them but VICE does some fantastic documentarys on some odd things.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they charged 50+ k to do a documentary like this. I’m willing to do it at cost, for the love of the sport. Only thing I’d be getting out of it is being able to post it on my YouTube channel after approval of the final edit from the rifles only crew.
    Just something to consider.
    What your YouTube channel?

Reactions: Eliteuas
    If only I had 40k to throw away and take a chance on half a mill. Gotta pay to play. I know a lot of people are going to say the hell with it for the price of admission, but I’m thinking finally some big money in shooting.

If each shooter was outfitted with gopros, then all the footage could be collected and made into a miniature show. This would significantly reduce production costs following people around and such. I know if I spent that much money shooting a match, I’d want video to relive it by. I’m sure there will be someone doing this on their own.

I disagree this wouldn't be worth watching. Some editing would be needed, but a breakdown of training involved, stage setup and actual stage competition would be really cool. I'd watch because I know I'd learn a ton just watching the competitors doing their thing. I would imagine sponsers would love to jump in and have a bit of adverts, but maybe the competition needs to get through a year or two.

I disagree this wouldn't be worth watching. Some editing would be needed, but a breakdown of training involved, stage setup and actual stage competition would be really cool. I'd watch because I know I'd learn a ton just watching the competitors doing their thing. I would imagine sponsers would love to jump in and have a bit of adverts, but maybe the competition needs to get through a year or two.

I don’t think any thinks it wouldn’t be worth watching (just video of people shooting isn’t worth watching and has been proven to be low viewership). The issue is the production costs.

Reactions: Rant Durden
    The match itself sounds awesome, but $25k??

It's like watching house hunters on this site sometimes. "I'm a stay at home dog mom who makes money on the side dog walking and my husband knits sweaters for a living... we'd like to keep the purchase of our new home under $2 Million."

I'm genuinely in awe of the kind of income some guys must have to be able to plunk down that kind of money on a game played with rifles 🤯

Perhaps that's the point. Next year they'll make the buy in $50k and some dimwit will pay it. Pay your mortgages people, dayum.

The match itself sounds awesome, but $25k??

It's like watching house hunters on this site sometimes. "I'm a stay at home dog mom who makes money on the side dog walking and my husband knits sweaters for a living... we'd like to keep the purchase of our new home under $2 Million."

I'm genuinely in awe of the kind of income some guys must have to be able to plunk down that kind of money on a game played with rifles 🤯

Perhaps that's the point. Next year they'll make the buy in $50k and some dimwit will pay it. Pay your mortgages people, dayum.
    Them on Love It or List It:
    I’m a substitute motivational speaker for pet rocks with invisible friend issues and my wife is a part time stay at home nanny for emotional support stuffed animals. Our budget is 5.7 million.

Them in the Forum:
    “Yea I just snagged the wife and I matching ASR Kits with TTs but snagged a third just to keep as an un-fired collectors item. It will really tie our gun vault room together.” ::shows 2,000sqft gun room filled with ten different AIs and a wall covered in gats with the other wall covered in ammo with a 5-gallon bucket for thermals and another filled with NVGs::

A smart company would invest in this and then split the profits if the shooter wins,

But I see this as a better marketing opportunity. If you presented it correctly it's a big opportunity, I am not gonna spell it out, but I can see a path for success more so than any other typical match.

Think about the $25k sponsorships out there now, they shoot a bunch of matches, you get a couple of "action" shots on FB, a few product beauty shots on IG and then if the shooter gets a podium finish you have a picture of the shooter with a box. They already spend a ton of money for next to no return on investment, a few pictures on FB & IG.

if you backed the right horse, put a program in place to train, then document the journey during, you have far more opportunity to create an organized marketing campaign vs the half-assed approach we see with most comp shooters who are sponsored.

$25k can get you $500k, while not guaranteed, it's a better ROI if you mapped it out

Bringing a business or corporate sponsor in makes a lot more sense.

Like you said, why spend $50k to be the official widget of the PRS when nobody actually uses it? You could spend half that on an event, contract the shooter of your choice, cut them in for a portion of the winnings and document the whole journey.

Put that on a DVD like a 7hr reality TV show and I'd probably buy it just to watch. It'd be a lot more interesting than the AG Cup too 😅

Now you are thinking!

Content for days, if you figure what an "Official" sponsorship costs, you could not only cover this but hire a pretty good crew to document it all.

Bringing in a marketer or content crew, they should be tasked to think outside the box and build content that is new and unique.

Maybe get somebody with experience to break some of it down for the layman, if we're taking a 'grow the sport' approach who can explain why the shooter is starting with the 12" target at 800yds instead of the 4" target at 400yds.

Little nuance like that we all know and take for granted is what kills any excitement for the average Joe because they don't understand what they're watching.

Somebody needs to be the Watson to explain the brilliance of the decisions Holmes is making as he does it. Maybe get Bryan Litz with an AB Shirt on talking about WEZ and what the statistical likelihood of making the shot is, then splice in the actual footage of the stage.

If ever there was an opportunity to make precision marksmanship into a reality TV show this is it.

Reactions: camocorvette