• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Riflescope purchasing

MaxwellA

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
Hello, I'm new to Sniper hide I have read a lot of the post and they all seem honest and the answers seem well based. So I would like to ask rifle scope would you recommend for long range hunting/target shooting 1000yrd+ shots, I'm not completely new to this i have been shooting and hunting along time I'm just trying to get more into the science and build a really nice long range rifle. I would prefer a fixed 10 power first focal plane MRAD not MOA and a mil-dot retical. Also im on a budget of $400 for the scope, I have been leaning toward the SWFA SS 10x42 tactical riflescope but I would like to know my options a little better if any.
Thank you.

watchdrama8jm.gif

All my fixed power scopes are second focal plane. Much more reliable and clearer in my opinion.

Yes but harder to range with

I don't understand why. I also don't understand how a fixed power would matter if FFP or SFP. Wouldn't it all be the same since the power never changes?... or is this a case of me not reading the sarcastic font?

All fixed power scopes are first focal plane.

Op. You are leaning in the right direction with the SWFA SS 10x42 it gives a good bang for your buck at your current budget. A good shooting buddy if mine used one on his .270 for awhile with no issues with tracking or zero. He has since moved it onto an ar. We got together to shoot a few weeks ago and he was able to take that rifle/scope combo to 600yds and everything in between without difficulty.

I could be wrong on this I'm no expert so correct Me if I am. But the way I understand it is on a second focal plane scope the glass with the cross hairs is different in some way then the rest of the magnifying glasses so unless its perfectly focused it can be off. But again I'm not a expert so I could be wrong.